Hair Styles for Fine, Thin Relaxed Hair

WantNatural

Hi ladies! My sister has relaxed hair with fine strands and thin density. It is extremely soft and does not hold a style. Even when she goes to her stylist, her hair can fall within hours :nono:. It just won't hold a curl or anything else. Are there any other ladies who experience the same thing? If so, what products do you use to help you hold the style, and what styles work for you? Personally I would love to see her transition, I think she would be surprised at how different her natural hair would behave and she would be able to enjoy a bit more thickness, but she's not havin' it! Maybe as a new natural I'm a bit biased?:lachen: Anyway, any suggestions?

Mz.Shug

Try keracare's setting lotion. It dries like a light hairspray but retains bounce. I like to rollerset with that and then leave out the bangs put the rest up in a banana clip.Cute n' curly.French rolls are another favorite of mine. If she's up for it cutting her bangs in a long swoop frames the face and you don't really have to worry about curling it just swish it to the side and away ya go. If she prefers to wear her hair straight bangs cut straight across looks chic.There are lots of styles just google straight styles or something of the sort.

I def agree with you.Transitioning has def allowed me to do more styles and the more my hair grows out the more my hair can hold curls.

bajanplums1

a quick fix is hairspray and setting lotion. I like Aveda air controll.

For the long term health and beauty of fine hair try texlaxing & protein. I have fine hair and had the same issue years ago (before LHCF) when I did not use protein and my hair was bone straight.

Adding protein to my conditioner lineup and not going bone straight solved it all.

Tif392002

tell her thats how my hair used to be... i didnt know my hair... so i was just getting relaxers, on my soft fine hair.... causing it to be only thin and limp..... now that im natural my hair has definitly turned 100 percent around.. i never knew i had a full head of hair... i just thought it was naturally thin.

Glamorous_chic

i have the same problem. i dont get curly styles, b/c they will fall. and i dont like using those holding sprays b/c they are too hard and crunchy. so i'd just get straight styles. be careful with protein though if she does try it. from what i read alot of fine haired ladies are also protein sensative. i found out the hard way i was one of them. i dont really have any solutions except maybe getting rollersets or curly styles, and let them fall. that gave my hair more volume, especially when i would eventually comb them down.

sunnieb

How often is she getting her relaxers? Would she be open to stretching them out if she's getting them done too often?

WantNatural

Thanks ladies! She relaxes probably every 10-12 weeks or so, which I think is a decent stretch. I didn't think about texlaxing. I don't know if she would consider it, but I definitely think it would help!

NaturalPath

What is her natural hair texture?

I say that because my hair is 2/3 ish very soft and naturally fine. When I was relaxed it sounded exactly like your sisters characteristics. Maybe she should play with the thought of going natural? My natural hair straightened is still wispy and soft, but it has a little bit more body and is alot stronger. Then she can consider texlaxing if that is what she desires.

I also second the protein treatments