Hair/Scalp odor?

Boadicea

I get my hair done once a week (dominican/columbian salon) but after a few days, my hair/scalp starts to smell. Whether I go to the salon or do my hair at home, it still has this odor. The way it smells, you'd think I hadn't washed it in the longest. Does anyone know what causes this? Also, I am prone to dandruff and flakes, could this be the culprit?

H

HoneyRockette

The same thing used to happen to me when I got my hair done at Dominican Salons. I thought it was because my oily scalp needed to be washed more often than once a week. Then someone told me it was all the products they use at the salons. I am not sure what your problem could be because when I do my own hair at home it never happens. You could try a clarifying shampoo every two weeks and see if that helps.

L.A. Woman

The main problem, which I've found in most salons, is when you go in, your scalp needs a good cleansing. But the shampoo asst. comes over and does that little hair massage/scrubbing motion that really is washing your hair, but their fingerpads aren't even touching your actual scalp, just the hair laying over the scalp. So in a sense your scalp isn't getting throughly cleansed.

My advice is to do an apple cider vinegar rinse at home. Oversee your own scalp treatment. Then see what happens. If it continues, it may be a sign of something internal going on. Like maybe something in your diet could be the culprit. (With me it's Coffee -- I'm convinced it's a dandruff-causing drink)

Hope this helps...

Boadicea

Thank you for the reply. Now that I think about it, the 'washlady' always scrubs my scalp really hard...and with her fake nails! Y'know those bird talon type acrylic ones? And my scalp has been feeling sore for a little. I think I will try the ACV but I'm afraid it may make my hair feel hard.

Thanks again!

L.A. Woman

Well, if the lady is scrubbing your hair with her nails, she may have caused tiny little scrapes and there's a chance of stinging if you do an ACV.

For now maybe do a thorough shampoo: wet your hair in warm water, part your hair vertically in a 1/2 inch section -
and apply your shampoo directly to the visible scalp of each part sort of like you would if you were using Scalpicin or those products with nozzles. Keep parting in 1/2 inch strips and applying until you're finished. It's a pain but it's worth it.
When I shampoo this way I actually use a bottle with a nozzle - it's the kind used for hair dyeing. I just fill the bottle with my shampoo and tea tree oil.

I started doing that because I found tangling was worse when I washed the regular way by massaging. I'm also able to see the zones in my hair that are the most problematic and need the most attention and intense cleansing....

Good luck, whatever you decide to do (by the way I found out my problem was an internal thing so I'm on a pH balancing diet to bring my blood to neutral)

notsomebody

Is there a chance that you need to wash your hair more than once a week? Also, if you wrap a silk scarf around your hair to protect it at night, you may need to wash it as often as you wash your hair. I had a similar problem when I only washed both my hair and my scarf once a week.
Now, I wash once a week and rinse in the middle of the week. This is extremely helpful because it gets rid of the buildup of products that do start to smell after a few days of normal scalp sweating and shedding. I also wash my scarf on the day that wash as well as the day that I rinse.
You have to keep in mind that the scalp is skin. It is different from the rest of the skin on your body, but it does have some of the same elements. You have to wash your body often to keep from smelling, so you would also need to wash your scalp more often than once a week. Maybe the odor is your sign that it is time to rinse. My sign is that my hair gets dryer and I start to notice flakes.

HTH

Mahalialee4

Sometimes there is garlic as an ingredient in the shampoos and conditioners. Also, if you are using silk or satin scarves, it is a good idea to wash them out by hand every day or every other day at the sink. If you hang them to dry, they are dry in about 10-15 minutes. It makes a big difference in having a clean or unclean odor floating around your head. All of the oils and sebum become odorous fast unless you do this. Or stock up on scarves and change tbem frequently, if you only want to wash them once a week. HTH Bonjour.

L.A. Woman

I agree. Mid week is usually the 3rd day or so after the usual washing. By then it's time to wash away what's accumulated. I couldn't believe I read a website about black hair care advising to wash hair NO MORE than once a week. They even went further to say once every two weeks is advisable because "too much washing dries out the hair"... Crazy...

Anyway, my need to wash my hair more than once a week to avoid the 3rd/4th day "pew" is the main factor in the decision to relax my hair again. (I ordered the Elucence system yesterday --- wish me luck)...

LondonDiva

Mine is smelling a lil frowzy, but as soon as I drag myself away from this comp I am jumping in the shower. It should have been done 2 days ago.

Other things that can contribute to a smelly scalp. Exercise and not washing straight afterwards. Do you sweat/become hot in your sleep? Remember a lot of the heat from our body escapes from our head. I personally cannot sleep with heating on because I will sweat all over in the morning as I'm naturally very very warm. My boyfriend says I'm like a hot water bottle.

My little cousin sweats in her sleep and this causes her hair to smell real bad also.

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Is there a chance that you need to wash your hair more than once a week?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have a scalp that sheds macro flakes like mine does, you'd better bump that up to washing your hair every day, shampooing twice a week and conditioning once a week. Try to not think of your hair as having a separate regime from the rest of your body. Literally wash yourself from HEAD to toe in the shower. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

strawberrydream

In the past, I have had this same problem. I would wash my hair one day and it would smell fine but the next day there would be a terrible odor coming from my hair and scalp. The smell was very strong, sour, and embarrasing so I went to the doctor. He said I had some type of yeast or fungal infection of the scalp and prescribed me a Selenium-Sulfide shampoo that really cleared the problem up. If your hair tends to get really funky within a couple of days after a wash I suggest you make an appt. with your physician?