Hair products for natural hair

alireno

I was thinking it may be a good idea to list hair products that are really good for use on natural hair. This list will be helpful to those transitioning so they will know what to use in the future, as well as those that are presently natural. Please only list products which you have actually used and had success with on natural hair.
smile.gif
For the purpose of this list, hair type (2a,4b, whatever) does not matter.

I think it depends on what point your are in being natural. To tell you the truth, I wasn't sure what to use at first, but now I do have a couple of favs. I also have lots of things I am not sure about, and some I will use up and never buy again.

shampoo
<ul type="square">
[*]cream of nature - I can comb through my hair before I condition
[*]sebastian laminates - Great shampoo, gets hair clean without stripping (clarifier)
[*]Jason Naturals Sea Kelp - Great for cleaning, not stripping, no sulfates, organic, can use often. [/list]

Conditioners
<ul type="square">[*]Sebastian Laminates - Great everyday conditoner, medium consistency, great detangler, can double as a leave-in, I love it for conditoner washes, very moisturizing.
[*]Jason naturals Sea Kelp- More moisturizing than Sebastian, organic, 3.99 for 16oz, Thick consistency, detangles very well. When I finish Sebastian I will use this as my everyday conditioner, because it is better and very affordable, and i like the fact that it is organic.
[*]Kenra Moisturizing- I love, love this stuff, it is the most moisturizing, most thick, and most detangling of all of the conditioners listed. I use this on my big wash days every week. Can be used for daily, deep, or leave-in conditoner. It is a triple threat, I will always have this in my shower.
[*]Cream of Nature - Not bad, the conditoner isn't as thick as the Jason, or Kenra. It is about the same as the sebastian. I wanted to try it, and it does very well. It is 2.99 for 15 oz at Target. But since I am trying to narrow my stash down, I won't be repurchasing it.
[*]Biolage Detangling Solution - Very good at detangling, It isn't really moistruizing, but it will knock the heck out of tangles. I use this after I use my moisturizing conditioner for a final rinse, and extra detangling, if I really need to comb my hair out well.
[*]My own Liquid leave-in - I use 1 part of a moisturizing conditoner, 1 part oil (grapeseed, apricot kernel, almond, or hot six oil), to 3 parts liqud leave in (sebastian titanium protector, elasta qp h-2, or any liquid leave in u like)
[*]Other leave-ins - Aveda Elixir ( for lots of curl defintion), Humectress (for moisture), or any of the above conditoners [/list]

<ul type="square">Other favs
[*]Oils- Olive, almond, Coconut, Hot 6 (mix with conditoner for for pre-shampoo), Apricot Kernel, Grapeseed ( to put over leave-in and moisturizer to lock in moisture)
[*]Moisturizer- Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Cream ( makes wet hair feel like butter), ORS Carrot Oil (great on hair wet/dry, not greasy at all), Nature's Blessing Pomade ( Great on wet hair, imparts incredible shine, but can't find it in Houston
frown.gif
. If I could i would use this in place of Aveda Humectant Pomade which is 5 times more expensive.
[*]Aveda Humectant Pomade- Great for shine and not too greasy if you use a small amount [*]Carol's daughter Healthy hair butter - Love it on freshly washed hair. Locks in the moisture like nobody's business, Great shine, soft hair, will keep in the stash.
[*]Shower Comb, Denman D3, &amp; Mebco Detangler - great in shower, detangles well, no seams, separates curls, don't loose much hair [/list]

Thanks Nonie, but this post is just for a listing of products. I saw the threads you referred to and saw regimens listed. I feel a thread that simply contains a list of products will be helpful...something to quickly refer to before going shopping for products.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
alireno said:
Great list Tracyannette! Alright you guys, keep 'em coming!
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
No problem, I can't wait to see the other lists.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
TracyAnnette,

Please tell me more about this ORS Olive Oil Cream. How to you use it exactly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, let me see if I can give a more comprehensive overview of the product.

INGREDIENTS
Herbal infusion of Purified water, Horsetail, Nettle, Mineral Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Olive Oil, Safflower Oil, Soy Bean Oil, Lanolin, Cholesterol, Glycerine, Vitamin F, Methionine, Dimethicone, Propylparaben, Proplyene Glyco, DMDM Hydantoin, Methylparaben, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrant Oils.

The jar says it is a hairdress for natural, relaxed, pressed or color treated hair. Restores moisture to dry, thirsty hair.

As for me I have used this for a long time. I love that is like a cream and not liquid oil consistency. It isn't as thick as the Healthy hair butter which is why it can be used on dry hair too. I wouldn't use it for my 2 strand twists because it isn't thick and won't provide the hold that the healthy hair butter or Kemi oyl shea butter pomade do. It can be used on dry hair, but I usually apply all products to wet hair. After I have washed or conditoner washed my hair i apply leave-in conditioner or moisturizer or, both. The ORS Olive oil is the moisturizer. I part the hair in a few sections, like you do when you apply the healthy hair butter, and apply it from root tip tip. As soon as I apply it I get butter like, slippery feel to my hair. You don't need to use much, which is good since the 4oz jar can be 6-8 dollars depending on where you find it. After I have finished with the sections, I apply a small amount at the hair line and smooth back through my hair using my fingers in a rake-like fashion until I get to the back of my hair. Then I seal that in with some type of oil or pomade for shine, and i am good to go. It is good for wearing the hair out, or especially twisting or braiding it. It leaves the hair soft and shiny, and I have tried to find a replacement, because of the price, but I just cant. I have tried hollywood beauty, and africa's best olive oil cream, but they just weren't the same, and the stimulating properties of the horsetail and nettle are an added bonus. Hope this helps.
smile.gif

Tracy

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Thanks sooooo much Tracy!!

I will have to consider this after the challenge is over!

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem
wink.gif

CON Ultra Moisturizing Shampoo
Nexxus Therappe Moisturizing Shampoo
Kenra Moisturizing Shampoo

Lust
Nexxus Humectress Conditioner
Mizani Moisturfuse Conditioner
LeKair Cholesterol
Emergencee Strengthening Reconstructor

Surge
Fantasia IC (original formula)

Sensitive by Nature Scalp Balm

Pantene R&amp;N Shampoo and Conditioner
LeKair Cholesterol
Diez en Uno

Healthy Hair Butter and Hair Milk (Carols Daughter)
Mango Butter (Elasta QP)
Tea Tree Oil

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
joyous - which Fantasia IC product are you referring to?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hairlove, the leave-in hair and scalp treatment. I tried the one with aloe for extra dry hair and it made my hair to soft. I know some of the members don't like IC leave-in but I use only a little right after squeezing the water out of my hair and it detangles for me.

Zoe, I forgot about Diez en Uno, that stuff is great for natural hair. I also like Hi Pro Pac for extremely damaged hair for strength and detangling.

Im loving:
ORS carrot oil as a protein moisturizer
CDHHB as a heavier, protein free moisturizer
apricot kernel oil
CON shampoo ultra moisturizing i think
homemade shea/cocoa butter mixtures
WGO
raw mango butter as a very heavy moisturizer/pomade
rosemary oil in my spray bottle with water and apricot oil
vitamin e oil from the capsule or the bottle
lottabody setting lotion for soft twist outs and braidouts
still searching for the perfect conditioners

I just want to give a shout out to jessicurl products (conditioners only) These conditioners are to die for. She also has a cleansing cream that is really good too - for those of you (like me) who are not too fond of shampoo. The ingredients are all really high quality and just to add the aloeba conditioner made my hair feel like sea weed and really conditioned my hair. The deep treatment was really good too but I think I am addicted to the Aloeba. Her website is at jessicurl . com if you would like to check them out. You can buy trial sizes to begin with.

In my list I'm including the length of time I've used all the products to give an idea of how consistently good they've each been.

Shampoo
- Dr. Bronners Liquid Castille Soap (3 years)
- Diluted Alberto V05 shampoo (New experiment! I think any cheap shampoo will do. The reason why many of us avoid such shampoos is because of their high concentration of harsh detergents. But Once diluted they work fine, and they're less expensive - although Dr. B is on the cheap side too)

Moisturizers/Softeners
- Carefree curls Instant Moisturizer Spray (1.5 yrs, but I've moved on)
- Hollywood Beauty Olive Creme (1 month, it's a new discovery! But so far so good)

Protein Treatment
- Aubrey's GPB (10 months or so, I've just begun adding it to my homemade braid spray and my hair seems to be reacting very positively to it).

Miscellaneous
- Fragrance oil (3 years, I love being able to customize the scent of my products instead of looking far for the shampoo/conditioner that's made with the scent that pleases me)

Clean:
Dr. Bronner liquid castile soap (diluted)

Conditioner wash:
Elucence moisture balance conditioner
Aura rosemary mint conditioner
Paul Mitchell the detangler

Leave in:
Bumble &amp; Bumble (cream)
Sebastian Potion 9 (cream/gel)
ApHogee provitamin (spray)
Surge Plus (spray on scalp)

Deep treatment:
Pantene deep hydrating treatment
Aveda deep penetrating hair revitalizer

Styling:
Kemi Oyl shea butter pomade
Carols Daughter mimosa hair honey
Carols Daughter healthy hair butter
Jamaican Mango and Lime lock gel
homemade distilled water/vegetable glycerine/essential oil spray

various natural oils (olive, jojoba, castor, avocado, coconut)
various essential oils (rosemary, tea tree, sweet orange, sage)

Shampoo:
Elucence moisture benefits shampoo
Kenra moisturizing shampoo

Conditioner:
Elucence moisture balance conditioner
Kenra moisturizing conditioner
Queen helene cholesterol
Fantasia Ic 1 minute vitamin protein reconstructor

Leave in conditoner:
bumble and bumble leave in
Elucence moisture balance

Conditioner washes:
Daily defense tender apple
pantene hydrating curls
suave aloe vera and vit E

Styling:
kemi oyl shea butter pomade
proclaim 7 oil
fantasia ic gel with sparklelites
scurl

[ QUOTE ]
alireno said:
I was thinking it may be a good idea to list hair products that are really good for use on natural hair. This list will be helpful to those transitioning so they will know what to use in the future, as well as those that are presently natural. Please only list products which you have actually used and had success with on natural hair.
smile.gif
For the purpose of this list, hair type (2a,4b, whatever) does not matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

This info is priceless thanks for starting this thread. I'm 7mths transitioning and I could really use some more tips or products.
smile.gif
My new favorite!!

<font color="red"> WORDS OF WARNING </font> : the creme of nature shampoo containts sodium hydroxide, which is essentially, LYE, the same thing used in LYE RELAXERS ! ! !
covereyes.gif
just wanted to make sure that i put that out there.

as for me, i've found that the following products work well in my hair (fyi: keep in mind that i have fine/medium textured hair, this may not be the best recipe for someone with coarse hair):

Shampoos

<ul type="square"> [*]Aveda Sap Moss Shampoo http://www.aveda.com/ [*]Elasta QP Shampoo for Relaxed Hair
[*]Pantene Purity Shampoo (for the rare 'deep cleansing' of my hair) [/list]

Conditioners

<ul type="square"> [*]Paul Mitchell The Detangler
[*]Mane 'n Tail Deep Moisturizing Conditioner
[*]Pantene Relaxed &amp; Natural Intensive Moisturizing Conditioner [/list]

Leave-in Conditioners

<ul type="square"> [*]911 Leave-in Conditioner [*]Bumble and Bumble Leave-in/Wash Out Conditioner [/list]

Deep Conditioners

<ul type="square"> [*]Motions CPR
[*]Daily Defense Tender Apple Conditioner left on over night with some olive oil [*]Aveda Cherry Almond Bark Reconstructing Conditioner [/list]

Moisturizers/Other Hair Products

<ul type="square"> [*]CD Some of Marguerite's Magic
[*]CD Kizzi Pomade
[*]Olive Oil
[*]100% pure jojoba oil [/list]

and that's it ! ! !
grin.gif
i hope this helps someone in need.
smile.gif

Shampoo:
Suave Clarifying Shampoo
Pantene Hydrating Curls