Hair not absorbing conditioner

jennboo

Hello ladies,
I have about 2-2.5 inches of natural 4a/b hair that i keep braided with human hair extensions. I notice that when my hair is out (sans braids) and i apply a conditioner on it, the conditioner doesn't seem to penetrate my strands. Instead, the product just sits and sort of "beads" on top of my strands. I'm not sure what this means..is my hair not porous enough? Is my hair just unable to absorb moisturizing conditioners and reap their benefits? Any help/insight would be much appreciated!!

JustKiya

Have you ever clarified? It sounds like your hair is 'coated' with something that is preventing the conditioner from soaking into your hair.
Also, you're hair could be very nonporous - how long do you give a product to 'soak' into your hair?

G'luck!

Noir

I agree with justkiya.

Definitely sounds as if you need to clarify. esp if you have been wearing braids for a while.

Nonie

Have you tried using heat to deep condition? Even for porous hair, that might help it penetrate the strands and moisturize from the inside. So try that after clarifying: drench hair with conditioner, wear plastic cap, and go under a dryer for about 20 minutes. After you rinse, take 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar and mix with 2 gallons of water and rinse your hair with that to seal in moisture. Baggy at night. I think your hair will thank you.

anon123

jennboo, when you try these suggestions, please come back and let us know how they worked for you. i'm interested to see. good luck!

jennboo

Thanks for the responses ladies...i havent used a clarifying shampoo per se (just regular ones with sls's) because im always afraid that they will be way too harsh and stripping to my highly textured hair. I'll try though..any recommendations for clarifying shampoos that are on the milder side? I will also do a good deep condition with heat...any rec's for effective moisturizing conditioners for natural 4a/b hair would be much appreciated as well. Thanks!

JustKiya

:look: I don't use a clarifying shampoo. I just add about a teaspoon of baking soda to whatever conditioner I'm using. I don't use any silicones though, so I don't need the full strength stripping of a clarifying shampoo.

All that said, I think that Joico has a good one.

As for conditioners, I'm a fan of Elasta QP Intense Fortifying Conditioner. :lol: I don't use mineral oil/petroleum either, so it's sometimes hard to find a DC free of both - I've heard REALLY good things about Aubery Organics HoneySuckle Rose Conditioner, though, and I think I might try that one, too. :yep:

Last edited: