Hair Growth/Various Textures...your opinion...

A

anks

Armyqt...I agree with you also!! i experience this with my daughter's hair. Her back is like a 3b grade while her front and sides are more like 4a and grows slower!!
TBCOOL

loverofnaps71

Yes. My hair grows in really funny...also like a V shape. I have a tale in the very back that almost reaches to the top of my bra, but the hairs on the sides in the back are about 1 1/2 inch shorter. The front hairs reaches to my chin, but the sides only reach a little past my ear. It could just be location, but it's very interesting nonetheless.

lsubabiedee

well my hair grows pretty quickly and I dont really know what type I am...when I was younger by hair was midback and other friends of mine with 4b hair almost had waist length, so im not sure...genetics for sure and handling...i think my hair is quite fragile too!

greAtness333

[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
I'd have to disagreee Sherrylove. I'm talking about stretched out hair here. My daughter has 4a hair and I really take great care of it. And when strecthed it's about to where her bra-strap would if she had one
. Her friend (3 hair) on the other hand has hair down to her butt and her mother does hardly anything to it. I see this ALL the time. It's rare that I see a child or adult for that matter with 4 hair that is super long. Now I'm not saying it's not possible, but I do think the 3 texture grows faster.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definately agree. I don't know if someone mentioned this already but since 3s are straighter than 4s, it has more room or is easier to grow at the root b/c the new growth has less of a curl. It's the same reason why 3s probably have less breakage in between re-touches b/c of less curl difference between the textures. Does that make sense?

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
greAtness333 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
I'd have to disagreee Sherrylove. I'm talking about stretched out hair here. My daughter has 4a hair and I really take great care of it. And when strecthed it's about to where her bra-strap would if she had one
. Her friend (3 hair) on the other hand has hair down to her butt and her mother does hardly anything to it. I see this ALL the time. It's rare that I see a child or adult for that matter with 4 hair that is super long. Now I'm not saying it's not possible, but I do think the 3 texture grows faster.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definately agree. I don't know if someone mentioned this already but since 3s are straighter than 4s, it has more room or is easier to grow at the root b/c the new growth has less of a curl. It's the same reason why 3s probably have less breakage in between re-touches b/c of less curl difference between the textures. Does that make sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

This does make since
I guess this was why I could go more than half a year without getting touch ups and never experience major breakage. Why my cousin who has a very tight coil pattern tried to go the same amount of time but was expereincing major breakageby month 3.

Healthb4Length

you said that you had highlights and a permanent color? I can tell you from experience that color breaks your hair off if you don't know how to handle it. I had highlights years ago, with highlights they strip your hair color and then apply a color on top. very damaging. My friend at the time who is white, we both decided to get highlights and both of our hair fell out!
Trust me, 4 hair does not grow slower than other hair, its' just more fragile and you have to be gentle and patient to it. I had to cut off all my bra-strap hair and start from scratch with a TWA! My hair grow back approximately to 2 inches past should lenght one year later. My hair grows approximately 8-10 inches per year and I am a type 4.

Healthb4Length

I am a type 4 and I have gone 10 months without a relaxer, no braids just twistouts and I have no breakage. I think it's how you handle your hair. I am so gentle with mine, I also do co-washes and deep treatments often. I have alot of new growth and my ends are straight but I truely have not experienced any breakage...again I think heredity and education on hair care plays a major role in growth.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
As I'm progressing in my transition, I'm noticing spirally new growth at the top, crown, and back area of my hair. I have afro puff like hair in my nape area and around edges. I think the nape and edges will maybe transform into spirals as they grow more. They tend to grow slower than the rest of my hair.

Tai

Not all 3's have faster growth. I'm one of them. My hair has been migrating around my shoulders for over 10 years. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

I will say that I used heat weekly and I've discovered since April that my hair doesn't respond well to heat (split ends like crazy). I have roughly 4" of natural hair when it's stretched. It's retaining length but the growth rate appears the same. Slow.

EbonyEyes

In terms of growth rate, I think it's based on the individual moreso than the hair texture.

My hair is 4A but there are tighter and looser versions of it. Overall, both seem to grow at the same rate although early during my natural journey, it seemed as though the parts of the hair where the curl was tighter was growing faster.

-Ebony

It does seem like type 3 hair grows faster but remember rudy from the cosby show? Her 4A hair was almost waist length and seemed to grow quickly on the show. So maybe it does all have to do with genes and good hair care.

dreemssold

I don't understand why there is any debate about this. The less coil to the hair-->the easier it is for the moisture to travel the length of the shaft-->the less breakage-->the more growth retained.

Obviously, there are exceptions to every rule and this is no different. Generally, however, it will be easier for a type 1 to retain growth than a type 2, easier for a type 2 to retain growth than a type 3, so on and so forth. Therefore, if the front of my hair is type 4 and the back is type 2, if I care for both parts the exact same way, it only stands to reason that GENERALLY the back will grow faster. Clearly, everyone is different, and we know type 4s can and will reach waist length, but it seems that it would be undeniable that in doing so, the average type 4 would have experienced far more breakage (read setbacks) than the average type 1 trying to attain waist length hair.

moneychaser

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why there is any debate about this. The less coil to the hair-->the easier it is for the moisture to travel the length of the shaft-->the less breakage-->the more growth retained.

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/clap.gif /images/graemlins/clap.gif THANK YOU!
This has been and will be my position!!!!!!!!!

ms_kenesha

Co-signing. I know that it's not a popular opinion because everyone wants to get to waist length, but like Armyqt was saying once about her daughter, she takes excellent care of her hair, but her cousin who has 3 hair, has surpassed her daughters length in the same span of time.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/clap.gif /images/graemlins/clap.gif THANK YOU!
This has been and will be my position!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I do believe that straight hair retains length easier, however there are many many Swedes with baby thin hair that cannot make it grow below their shoulders because their hair is so fragile and thin. You know, people with pigtails that look like rat-tails. So I would say that Asian or Mediterranian straight hair grows faster because their hair is also very thick and strong.

Xerxes

[ QUOTE ]
I do believe that straight hair retains length easier, however there are many many Swedes with baby thin hair that cannot make it grow below their shoulders because their hair is so fragile and thin. You know, people with pigtails that look like rat-tails.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/lachen70.gif

Now that was funny!

AudraChanell

Very, very, very true as a BLANKET statement. /images/graemlins/up.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Obviously, there are exceptions to every rule and this is no different. Generally, however, it will be easier for a type 1 to retain growth than a type 2, easier for a type 2 to retain growth than a type 3, so on and so forth. Therefore, if the front of my hair is type 4 and the back is type 2, if I care for both parts the exact same way, it only stands to reason that GENERALLY the back will grow faster. Clearly, everyone is different, and we know type 4s can and will reach waist length, but it seems that it would be undeniable that in doing so, the average type 4 would have experienced far more breakage (read setbacks) than the average type 1 trying to attain waist length hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Faith

I definitely think texture has a lot to do with it and was actually thinking about this a few days ago.
My back which is wavier grows 2-3x faster and is more elastic and has less split ends than the hair in my front and crown which is more curly...S-shape and coarser. There's definitely a growth difference with different textures. I don't know if the wavier/straighter lengths just show length easier than the curlier textures. But something is different.

Nanyanika

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA

Nanyanika

The back of my hair has a wavy texture and grows really fast and the middle and front are tight 4a coils, it grows much slower, so i personally believe texture is also a factor in hair growth.

ChildlikeEmpress

I have type-everything hair. /images/graemlins/drunk.gif It seems like all of it grows at about the same rate now, although the classic 4a parts at the sides and back seemed really stunted when I first chopped. I guess they were in recovery. *g* The tighter curls take longer to show their length, though.

~Rochelle. /images/graemlins/Rose.gif