hair ends

prettygrl

Hi ladies--

I need your suggestions. I have always had a problem with the ends of my hair. The ends don't feel dry- but they snap off easily. When I comb my hair or run my fingers through my hair I can see short pieces of hair- hair ends. I have always had this problem-yet somehow my hair still has grown shoulder length. Any suggestions??? on how to keep my ends intact?

Allandra

If your ends are snapping off easily, it sounds like they may be dry. Are you doing deep conditionings? What are you using to keep your ends moisturized?

prettygrl

Allandra--
The only thing I use on my ends right now is hot six oil. I recently started using extra virgin olive oil- but I ran out of it. When I wash my hair I condition it with cholesterol and ...use Paul Mitchell's Cream as a leave in. Ocassionally, I will sit under the dryer and use Aveda Deep Penetrating Hair Revitilizer. Also I just ordered Cathy Howse's dew....any suggestions?

pebbles

Hi prettygrl,

Have you tried Elasta QP Recovery Oil Moisturizer or the Elasta QP Mango Butter Moisturizer for your ends? I use these and they work pretty well. I use Cathy Howe's Dew myself. It's my favorite. /images/graemlins/weird.gif

Allandra

A long while ago, I tried using only oil on my hair. My hair didn't like it one bit (made it feel hard). Now I use moisturizing leave-in conditioners and hair moisturizers. I think there are a few ladies here that really like the Cathy Howse DEW (very moisturizing). Also, some of the ladies here use curl activator (when they wear their hair up but not when they wear their hair down). Adrienne knows a lot about this and has had much success with curl activator. I'm sure some of the other ladies will have some suggestions.

How do you dry your hair? If you use blowdryers and curling irons, that will be very hard on the hair after a while if you use them often. For me, it made my ends forever frizzed.

Try pre oil treatments before you wash and condition. Heat up some virgin o oil in the microwave and put it on the hair ends only for a good hour. Longer if you can. Or add a touch of virgin olive oil to your conditioner when you deep condition. Concentrate conditioner on the mid to ends only of the hair.

Also, in between washes, I like to use a *touch* and I mean a *touch* of the same virgin olive oil on dry ends all over just to seal them.

Also do you tie your hair at nights? having hair rub against cotton pillows is very drying. Use a satin scarf or sation pillow case which won't absorb moisture from your hair.

For airdrying days, I've been using s-curl activator and find its very moisturzing because of the high glycerine content. I was very sceptical about trying this but have faith in Adrienne /images/graemlins/notworthy.gif and so gave it a try. It does provide long last moisture.

I haven't used it on straight hair after rollarsets, only on wash and towel dry days where I pin the hair up.

A

AmilLion

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
prettygrl said:
Hi ladies--

I need your suggestions. I have always had a problem with the ends of my hair. The ends don't feel dry- but they snap off easily. When I comb my hair or run my fingers through my hair I can see short pieces of hair- hair ends. I have always had this problem-yet somehow my hair still has grown shoulder length. Any suggestions??? on how to keep my ends intact?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello there! Thought I welcome you to the board first. I've been missing in action for a while, but was once an active longhaircareforum member.

I suggest, because your hair is breaking very easily at the ends, MOISTURIZE, MOISTURIZE, MOISTURIZE. Moisture is your friend, he loves you /images/graemlins/smile.gif

During the winter months, my hair is extremely dry. What I like to do is, at night, I spray my hair with Ultra Black Hair Dew Mist on the entire strand and I concentrate just a tad at the hair ends. Immediately afterwards, I apply hair oil and wrap my hair. By morning, my strands are soft, shiny, moisturized and smooth. For me this has worked like a charm especially with this brutal weather here in NY.

*NOTE-15 degrees with a -5 windchill

Paris Belle

Excellent question. I am working on this myself.

Has anyone experienced product build-up on the ends. Today, I wore my hair in a braid and looped the ends up after applying leave-in and moisturizer (motions). When I took it down, it was all frizzy. I'm washing it now, but could this be from the products or was it just time to wash. Anybody know?

Allandra

AmilLion said:
During the winter months, my hair is extremely dry. What I like to do is, at night, I spray my hair with Ultra Black Hair Dew Mist on the entire strand and I concentrate just a tad at the hair ends. Immediately afterwards, I apply hair oil and wrap my hair. By morning, my strands are soft, shiny, moisturized and smooth. For me this has worked like a charm especially with this brutal weather here in NY.

*NOTE-15 degrees with a -5 windchill

[/ QUOTE ]
It's pretty darn cold here in Maryland tonight (16 degrees with a 5 degree windchill). I did my hair last night. I moisturized my hair real good before going out today (put it in a bun afterwards, of course). /images/graemlins/wink.gif By the time I returned to my house, most of my moisture was gone. /images/graemlins/frown.gif I was not happy about it either. I used to take EFAs during the winter months, and this helped a great deal (nothing like moisture from the inside out). However, I'm not taking them this winter. They make my already oily/shiny face even oilier/shinier. So, it looks like I'm just gonna have to rinse my hair more often. Geez, I'll be glad when the spring gets here. We didn't have much of a winter last year. I guess we're paying the price this year. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

LondonDiva

A product I can recommend/designed for hair ends is the Profectiv range (the one in the purple tub) is very good for my ends. It's very moisturising.

daviine

CarmenRose...did you comb it out after you unbraided it? I'm thinking that it was frizzy becasue you applied a leave-in to the braid. If you do a braid out, and then comb your hair out, you have frizzy ends....I think its only becasue you applied the leave-in to the braid. As I type this, I'm sitting here with frizzy ends..... /images/graemlins/perplexed.gif

Paris Belle

Hey Daviine! /images/graemlins/wave.gif

This was before our luncheon.

Actually, I use the Pantene light conditioner as a moisturizer sometimes. I use it lightly. Then I used some of my Africa's Best Carrot Oil creme lightly but more on the ends. After that I braided it and wrapped up the ends at the bottom of the braid. When I took it out, the ends were frizzy. I don't think I combed it out, I think I finger combed it first and then I used a wide tooth comb (I think). The ends weren't just frizzy, they kind of looked tangled. I don't know, maybe it was just time for a wash, which I did Friday, but thanks for the answer.

Tracy

All of the suggestions you recieved were wonderful. I just wanted to add that soemtimes even if you do everything you can to protect your ends - they will still break. Some degree of breakage is inevitable. I knw we hate to see that but it's true. My hair always has a few casualties when I comb it - but as long as it's not excessive I don't worry about it. Like you, I have always had these little pieces come out and my hair continues to grow beaitufully even with color and a relaxer - which is doubly hard. The key is minimizing it -which the suggestions you got will help do. Allandra's EFA tip is my personal fav. As well as using serums on my ends to combat combing and brushing and daily wear and tear.

If it's not excessive tho - try not to worry too much.

pebbles

Some degree of breakage is inevitable. I knw we hate to see that but it's true.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right Tracy. Even the professionals who promote different products for anti-breakage admit this is inevitable. Early last year, while I was at a salon getting my hair done, a representative from Optimum came into the shop. Naturally some of the women started asking for a product that could stop them from loosing their hair ends and eliminate breakage. The representative said exactly what you said.

Cleo

Thanks for sharing that Tracy, because I tried the rec from pebbles(thanks) of laying off the protein (GPB) and just doing a deep condition and moisturizing conditioner and low and behold I still had about ten small pieces break off. /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif I was heart broken. /images/graemlins/whyme.gif /images/graemlins/nono.gif ...but my hair looked really nice once curled /images/graemlins/look.gif so I tried not to stress it and figured it was inevitable. I'm sure the weather doesn't help either.

Fashionista

Try products with water as the main ingredient (moisture is derived from H2O). I like Elasta QP Mango Butter Moisturizer it's not too wet. A misconception people have is thinking that oil is moisturizing. Oil SEALS in moisture it does not ADD moisture to your hair. It's good to use oil on your ends after you shampoo when your hair is wet this will seal in the moisture as your hair dries. In between washing it's best to use a water-based product. HTH

caress

I just thought I'd add that though oils aren't moisturizing exactly, I use them to keep my ends soft and lubricated. That keeps them from snapping off every time I comb them.

NYCITY

I was reading the archives and you recommended EFA's. I have like no idea what that is. Is it a vitamin or something?

candycane

Essential Fatty Acids like flaxseed oil or evening primrose oil. They come in tablets and liquid form and can be taken internally.

Candycane