Had to cut my friends hair off today...

BillyJay

Here's what happened this morning:

My friend came to me this morning so I can check out her hair.

She stretched for an entire year and went to a stylist to get a touch-up.

Stylist: Girl! Your hair is ALL NATURAL NOW!:nono:
Client: REALLY?
Stylist: You grew your relaxer out!
(She never had a trim)
Stylist: I'm going to have to relax your whole head , You have virgin hair.
Client: OK

Client called me crying yesterday, her hair was breaking off in the middle....

She got to me today and her hair was texturized from the roots to the middle of her hair shaft, crunchy & over processed on 2 inches in the middle, and bone straight at the ends:wallbash: ALL OVER HER HEAD!

This was extremely emotionally draining for both of us. I ended up cutting about 5 inches off all over.:nono:

Gave her a clarifier, restored her pH, infused protein and deep Conditioned her.

She left with 3 strand twists that were about 3 inches long. She cried the whole time I was cutting.

In the end she was happy and very excited about learning about proper hair care methods She was so mad that her regular stylist (who is licensed)tore her hair up like that.

This woman never had long hair before. She came to me APL and she left ear length. I told her that I would help her grow her hair back.

I felt so bad for her.

d-rock

Wow... I'd be in tears too. She's lucky she has you to get her back to her APL. Hope she made a promise not to go back to that stylist.

BillyJay

I think she was eager to get her relaxer, besides, she had been seeing this stylist for a while.

She was crying REAL tears. Hair really has an emotional impact on us huh?

cabellera

That's crazy. Your friend should have gone to you first!

I totally agree with the above statement!

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER! The power to take control of your home grown stock of hair. So sorry for your friend, but she's got you and should listen.

BillyJay

Yeah, she knows very little about haircare and was shocked to learn about some of the things that her stylist was doing that was damaging.
Every time she learned something new she said "Oh my god!"

It was a real wake up call.

We are a minority here at LHCF and other hair boards. Ignorance about proper hair care is abundant.

lilsparkle825

Gave her a clarifier, restored her pH, infused protein and deep Conditioned her.

She left with 3 strand twists that were about 3 inches long. She cried the whole time I was cutting.

In the end she was happy and very excited about learning about proper hair care methods She was so mad that her regular stylist (who is licensed)tore her hair up like that.
dang...can you be my stylist :grin:

issidoll

I think she was eager to get her relaxer, besides, she had been seeing this stylist for a while.

She was crying REAL tears. Hair really has an emotional impact on us huh?

Hi my dear. :grin:
I know exactly what you mean about how we feel about our hair.
I know she will be fine in your capable hands. :yep::yep::yep:

A number of years back I have relaxed hair, growing well, shiny and thick. I got highlights done at a salon. I then decided the look was not dramatic enough. :nono: I took myself to Superdrug and purchase l'oreal hair colour in light as blonde and a lightner product. What was I thinking. :badidea: :badidea: :badidea: I bleach my hair the same day...it turn orange and fluffy. I then added the colour light ash blonde. Oh my IT was not pleasant.:covereyes Then first thing the following morning I got a black dye but my hair remained a mustard colour.
I went intowork a few hours late and just burst into tears when my colleague opened the door. Stayed in the office for an hour to pull myself together.:(:(:(
My hair did recover from 4 chemical processes over a 24 hour period on top of a relaxer but it was in a hell of a shape for a while.!!!

RegaLady

You really seemed like you have helped her out really well.:grin: But, being as emotional as she was, was cutting her hair an option?:sad: Could she have recovered without loping it off, or was this a must?

BillyJay

1) Stretched for a year?! What's her secret?
2) She's lucky to have a friend like you.

:lachen:She is one of those hands off people! She doesn't even bother to moisturize, lol!

Last year she was preggers and having complications which kept her hospitalized for about 2 months. She didn't do anything with her hair at all. And it just grew like weeds.:yep:

BillyJay

You really seemed like you have helped her out really well.:grin: But, being as emotional as she was, was cutting her hair an option?:sad: Could she have recovered without loping it off, or was this a must?

With patches of over processed hair in between bone straight and texturized, I had to cut off the hair from the over-processed areas downwards.

There is really no way to reverse over processing that I am aware of. It would have caused her more grief to have to deal with the breakage at demarcation every time she combed.

If we were to analyze her hair it was a 3c from roots down to the middle, 4b in the middle and 1a at the ends.:blush:

I asked her repeatedly if she wanted to cut and she said she knew she would eventually have to do it.

After it was done, she felt better.:yep:

BillyJay

Hi my dear. :grin:
I know exactly what you mean about how we feel about our hair.
I know she will be fine in your capable hands. :yep::yep::yep:

A number of years back I have relaxed hair, growing well, shiny and thick. I got highlights done at a salon. I then decided the look was not dramatic enough. :nono: I took myself to Superdrug and purchase l'oreal hair colour in light as blonde and a lightner product. What was I thinking. :badidea: :badidea: :badidea: I bleach my hair the same day...it turn orange and fluffy. I then added the colour light ash blonde. Oh my IT was not pleasant.:covereyes Then first thing the following morning I got a black dye but my hair remained a mustard colour.
I went intowork a few hours late and just burst into tears when my colleague opened the door. Stayed in the office for an hour to pull myself together.:(:(:(
My hair did recover from 4 chemical processes over a 24 hour period on top of a relaxer but it was in a hell of a shape for a while.!!!
:blush:
Wow! Just wow!

Im glad you were able to recover!:yep: Thats some REAL trauma right there:nono:

RegaLady

With patches of over processed hair in between bone straight and texturized, I had to cut off the hair from the over-processed areas downwards.

There is really no way to reverse over processing that I am aware of. It would have caused her more grief to have to deal with the breakage at demarcation every time she combed.

If we were to analyze her hair it was a 3c from roots down to the middle, 4b in the middle and 1a at the ends.:blush:

I asked her repeatedly if she wanted to cut and she said she knew she would eventually have to do it.

Well, thats good! Okay, I know people do things when they are upset, but, I know you were there giving her emotional and hair support. That is what great friends do! Good going:grin:!

issidoll

What was I thinking eh?!!!:lachen::lachen::lachen:
If your friend's hair grows like weeds it will be back on track real fast. Especially with expert advice from her friend. :yep:
And is she a member yet?:rolleyes:

BillyJay

What was I thinking eh?!!!:lachen::lachen::lachen:
If your friend's hair grows like weeds it will be back on track real fast. Especially with expert advice from her friend. :yep:
And is she a member yet?:rolleyes:

:hug2:ISSY!!!!!!:blowkiss::bighug::bighug:
WHERE HAVE YOU BEEEN!!!!!!

I was thinking about your kind words before I had surgery! Thank you so much for all those PM's you sent me!!!

Nah, she ain't a memba yet!
I doubt she'll join! Everybody is not a hair fiend like we are, lol!

issidoll

:hug2:ISSY!!!!!!:blowkiss::bighug::bighug:
WHERE HAVE YOU BEEEN!!!!!!

I was thinking about your kind words before I had surgery! Thank you so much for all those PM's you sent me!!!

Hey, my pleasure so no thanks ok? Good :grin:. I've been lurking but spotted you and your thread. Such a sweetie :yep:. I know your friend appreciated your efforts.

guitarheroqueen

That's awful! I've been stretching about 7 months and made an appointment several weeks ago with a stylist I had been to a few times. I told her I needed a touch up and had just taken out micros and hadn't had a perm in 6 months. She said that I would need a virgin relaxer. I chickened out and never went in for the appointment 'cause I didn't want her to *** my hair up.

Eisani

That's awful, but at least she's on the right track and will hopefully make a speedy, healthy recovery. Had that been one of my friends, the rest of us would've been there in Pumas and all black like :sekret::boxing::brucelee::bat::buttkick:
That stylist really needs a "visitation"

reena

oh wow Im glad you were there to give her hope. I was like :blush: reading this like it was me this happened to. That is why when I got perms I never let a stylist do them, they dont understand my hair and they try to talk you into things for the masses. Home perms for me:grin:

luvmesumhair

Sounds like the same thing happened to me on my last touch up in April. It seems like I will have to cut mines off too to start over. So sad.

d-rock

That's awful! I've been stretching about 7 months and made an appointment several weeks ago with a stylist I had been to a few times. I told her I needed a touch up and had just taken out micros and hadn't had a perm in 6 months. She said that I would need a virgin relaxer. I chickened out and never went in for the appointment 'cause I didn't want her to *** my hair up.

:lachen:Been there done that... lol..

memee1978

it happened to me 5 years ago.never went to a hair dressor since then...ive learned how to take care of my own hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

ThickHair

Did your friend want to be natural???? Why stretch for a whole year just to get a relaxer? I can see stretching for an extra 2 months but a year, I just don't get it.

I am glad you were able to help her though.

SmartyPants

Yeah, she knows very little about haircare and was shocked to learn about some of the things that her stylist was doing that was damaging.
Every time she learned something new she said "Oh my god!"

It was a real wake up call.

We are a minority here at LHCF and other hair boards. Ignorance about proper hair care is abundant.

Seriously... I cut all my hair off in October 2006, then again in February 2007. I let my mom's stylist put a perm in my hair in June 2007. By August 2007a chunk of the right back side of my hair had broken off--AT THE ROOT!!!! I had had ENOUGH.

My cousin suggested that the lye relaxers were probably too strong for my scalp so I let her put a no-lye in. I haven't looked back since. August 2008 will be my one year anniversary of doing my own hair. Even with one major trim to even my hair off, it looks like I am still retaining a full six inches of hair!

This board is a GODSEND for those of us who never thought we would be able to take care of our own hair! They can raise those fees to $50 a year and I'd pay it!