Had massive shedding/breakage need advice

mystery29

So I went to get relaxed last night and I in the process of getting my hair combed out I had alot of breakage and shedding. It was pretty bad. My beautician had to do damage control and basically cut my hair into a bob and I have no idea what happened. This has never happned before. Im the only thing I can think of is the weather change and the fact that I stopped taking my vitamins. Can someone please provide me any and all advice on how I can get back on track for 2011?

Leesh

Before We can make an assesment of your situation, We need to know your regimen, see maybe what your lacking in, if anything, or maybe overuse of, if anything! In any case, I'm sure once you post, We'll be able to assist! Good Luck to you, Hope everything works out!

mystery29

Before We can make an assesment of your situation, We need to know your regimen, see maybe what your lacking in, if anything, or maybe overuse of, if anything! In any case, I'm sure once you post, We'll be able to assist! Good Luck to you, Hope everything works out!

My bad I had a sew-in but I was getting it maintained every two weeks and once I got it taken down I had all this breakage. I havent taken my phyto vitamins or any other vitamins for weeks though. When I was bunning and washing once a week my hair was fine the ends were just weak. And I was almost bra strap length in ten months. Now Im above the shoulders. I think I need to go back to bunning and stretching. Ugh Im so frustrated :cry2:

Leesh

My bad I had a sew-in but I was getting it maintained every two weeks and once I got it taken down I had all this breakage. I havent taken my phyto vitamins or any other vitamins for weeks though. When I was bunning and washing once a week my hair was fine the ends were just weak. And I was almost bra strap length in ten months. Now Im above the shoulders. I think I need to go back to bunning and stretching. Ugh Im so frustrated :cry2:

Ok, sounds like to me, that your hair may be too fragile to have the tension of a sew-in, like myself. No matter what I do, how well I take care of it, I lose way too much hair, and thats with, braids, sometimes pontails even. You may just have to refrain from styles that cause tension, because altho your hair is braided up and tucked away, it's still being tugged on underneath, subsequently, breaking and popping your hair in the meantime. The last sew-in I had, before I started my HHJ, gave me the worst set-back, the entire braid that was across the front of my head, no longer existed, the entire braid was gone, it was like 1/8th of an inch of hair in its place, all the way across the perimeter. With that being said, commence to pampering, PSing and balancing your Protein and Moisture, I'm sure you'll be back in no time. I'm sorry your going thru this, butjust remember we all can't do the same things to our hair, each head is a case by case situation.

simone103

OP, I'm sorry that this happened to you. I have experienced set-backs with weaves as well. The problem with weaves is that if you or the hairdresser is not careful when sewing the tracks in, the thread can literally cut into your hair and what you end up with is breakage. That thread is literally like a knife; which is why the needle should go underneath the braid and not through it. The tension of weaves can also sometimes break your hair off as well. There are ways to mitigate and/or lessen damage from weaves. You can have mesh sewn around the perimeter of the braids and then have the hairdresser sew the tracks onto the mesh.

I would use a protein treatment to build the strength of your hair back up and of course follow it up with a moisturizing conditioner. I have lost a lot of hair in the past due to sew-in weaves to the point where it thinned my hair out. I still liked it as a protective style, but I knew that I couldn't continue to use them in the same way if I wanted to keep the hair on my head. I created an alternative by making a half-wig myself. I braid my hair vertically just like I did in the past and leave a horse-shoe shape of hair out in the front. I then take the wig and sew the perimeter around the braids. Wig clips can be attached to the wig as well. The only difference between this and a traditional sew-in is that the tracks are not directly sewn onto my hair. My hair has made leaps and bounds since doing it this way and has thickened up tremendously.

mystery29

OP, I'm sorry that this happened to you. I have experienced set-backs with weaves as well. The problem with weaves is that if you or the hairdresser is not careful when sewing the tracks in, the thread can literally cut into your hair and what you end up with is breakage. That thread is literally like a knife; which is why the needle should go underneath the braid and not through it. The tension of weaves can also sometimes break your hair off as well. There are ways to mitigate and/or lessen damage from weaves. You can have mesh sewn around the perimeter of the braids and then have the hairdresser sew the tracks onto the mesh.

I would use a protein treatment to build the strength of your hair back up and of course follow it up with a moisturizing conditioner. I have lost a lot of hair in the past due to sew-in weaves to the point where it thinned my hair out. I still liked it as a protective style, but I knew that I couldn't continue to use them in the same way if I wanted to keep the hair on my head. I created an alternative by making a half-wig myself. I braid my hair vertically just like I did in the past and leave a horse-shoe shape of hair out in the front. I then take the wig and sew the perimeter around the braids. Wig clips can be attached to the wig as well. The only difference between this and a traditional sew-in is that the tracks are not directly sewn onto my hair. My hair has made leaps and bounds since doing it this way and has thickened up tremendously.

Thanks. The thing is I have gotten plenty of sew-ins in the past and none of them have ever set my hair back like they did this time. My edges are thin and my back is gone. Like I said Im gonna do hyh for six months by bunning and washing once a week because this is just crazy

Amour

Really, really sorry this happened to you :-(

Do you have fine hair? It sounds like your hair couldn't handle the weave, it can weaken the strands; especially if its sewen in too tight.

Keep bunning, low manipulative, stressfree styles.

bb09

bumping as well. Did the same person do your hair? Did you follow the same regime Before you had the weave put in, and during?

I wonder what happened.

mystery29

bumping as well. Did the same person do your hair? Did you follow the same regime Before you had the weave put in, and during?

I wonder what happened.

Yeah the same person did my hair and ii was going to her more regularly than before and it seemed to have back fired this time. What was supposed to be a protective style did the complete opposite.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Yeah the same person did my hair and ii was going to her more regularly than before and it seemed to have back fired this time. What was supposed to be a protective style did the complete opposite.

Unfortunately your experience is similar to mine. However, I chose to cut my hair instead of getting a relaxer after sew-in removal. I can honestly say that hair and scalp were in sad shape after I removed my last weave. I hope you are planning on leaving the hair out and try a different protective style for a while while you strengthen your hair back up. HHJ

mystery29

That's a shame. I wonder if she noticed anything but just didn't say?

Well she couldnt tell until the hair was actually taken down. I did have one weak spot in the back of my head but she just left that out and we didnt really think the whole head would be effected. Im just mad because I had a regime of washing once a week and then bunning that was pretty reliable except for the damaged ends but even then I still had apl length hair. Im just gonna go back to my old routine now I just have to be up on my vitamins and moisture retention. Laziness is 20 percent of this outcome also

mystery29

Unfortunately your experience is similar to mine. However, I chose to cut my hair instead of getting a relaxer after sew-in removal. I can honestly say that hair and scalp were in sad shape after I removed my last weave. I hope you are planning on leaving the hair out and try a different protective style for a while while you strengthen your hair back up. HHJ

The damaged hair did get cut and I like to look at it like its just hair it will be back but man starting over sux.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
The damaged hair did get cut and I like to look at it like its just hair it will be back but man starting over sux.

I agree...

for me it took a good long time to get back to even though. Honestly it was only because I had to take my hair health into my own hands. Its good that you have LHCF to help you. I didn't for the first 1 1/2 years afterwards so I had to stumble along.

CandyCurls

Last edited:

mystery29

I don't know much about sew-ins, but I noticed you take MSM, which is supposed to reduce shedding. I forgot her name, but there is a Youtube user who uses Hairfinity (contains MSM) and stopped taking them at the 4th month as an experiment to see what would happen. She said that she got a major amount of shedding. If you were to stop taking vitamins while in a sew-in, you'd probably get a ton of shed hair resting in those braids. If your lazy with the vitamins like me, I can tell you that setting a daily calendar on my cell phone works for me. I've been taking vitamins for a full month and haven't missed a day. I've gotten used to it to the point where I remember to take them before the alarm goes off.

Yeah I take the MSM pills when I dont have the phyto pills because sometimes I dont have the money for phyto. Wish I hadnt did that :nono:
especially since I had the MSM pills sitting right in my kitchen. I think my whole body suffered without the vitamins because even my nails broke. So between the moisture retention I need for my hair and the lack of vitamins I really messed myself up. I did order the hairfinity, phyto and NAC to take once my MSM pills are done

Iluvsmuhgrass

OP I'm sorry this happened to you. I know you want to make it better RIGHT NOW but treating your hair with kid gloves might be just the thing you need to do until you figure out what it needs.

I know that there are alot of ladies on the site that wear weaves that wash their hair religiously but I am one that COULD NOT. When I got a weave, I kept my scalp clean (cotton balls with witch hazel and/or gentle sea breeze) and my hair moisturized (Braid spray or BT between the parts)but I never washed. When I tried that, not only did my weave get jacked, so did my hair (even though I was uber gentle and rinsed well.) I have more retention doing it my way.

I think you should give it a good DC, moisturize, be gentle with it, then put it away for a little bit. I hope everything works out.

mystery29

Just a quick update I did a wash on sunday and I used nexxus and deep conditioned with redken extreme. I did have shedding during the wash but I know its from the hair being in a phony pony for three weeks. But the shedding has stopped and right now Im just bunning till I see improvement. Iam almost 60 percent sure its from the lack of vitamins in my diet