Growth Stimulant Opposers in here please

zailless

Hi, I just wanted to break down my products usage and see if you can help me combat some hair loss issues.

Sept 2005 - discovered lhcf, started using mtg and surge.
March 2006 - discontinued mtg, started miconazole
Continued till about mid august.

may - sep - stress, stress and more stress, stopped using vitamins completely

Sept 2006 started using surge
oct 2006 found one patch of hairloss. stopped using surge.
had massive hair shedding. went to doctor - found no issues.
started using cortizone - hair regrew.
decided to switch back to surge - lost another patch of hair and right side hair line.
stopped surge.
hair was barely growing.
started using a mix of castor oil and mtg, hair is shooting up in places i didnt even realize i lost hair. shooting up in between cornrows. i notice my cornrows had bigger spaces in between but i didnt realize i lost hair. just now when i see short patches of hair coming up i realized the loss.

I think i might have hurt my scalp with various products. Even though the products are helping my hair grow back, i resent the fact that now my scalp has become dependent on some kind of stimulant.

I want to heal my scalp. What is your theory on whats going on. Is there a way to wean myself off these products and still keep my growth? What do you suggest?

zailless

I am eating healthier, having vegetables at each meal, with lots of protein. I am a healthy eater of nuts fruits and veg. I never miss a meal and I am trying to drink 4 glasses at my 9 to 5. I started taking nioxin a month ago with a multivitamin. I take fish oils and omega 3 6 and 9. I have been taking fish oil and the omegas for atleast 6 years.

I bought extra hair vitamin and biotin 5000 but i thinik i will not use anything for additional growth because I think anytime I stop I could experience shedding.

Thanks for your responses in advance.

Last edited:

Divine Inspiration

Your diet looks decent so if you just take a good multivitamin, drink plenty of water, and relax, I think you'll be fine. If you just insist on doing something to aid growth, you could continue with the biotin and consider things like pantothenic acid, MSM, etc. Your regimen may be more to blame for the problems than the absence of a growth aid.

I honestly don't think the constant rotation of growth aids is necessary or beneficial. Your scalp would probably appreciate being able to breathe. Just keep it clean, and your hair will grow.

kbragg

I think it's the MN. I personally only use my homemade MTG mix because (a) sulphur is natural, and next to keratin one of the main elements that makes up the hair, a natural anti fungal, anti septic, etc, (b) prven safe for hair whereas there's no known studies on using topical creams not designed for hair, and (c) the oil I mix with is sold for hair. I'm really leary of medications, even OTC's which is why I won't use MN, dropped the Cazasin, won't touch Cortisone, etc. Another lady posted recently with hair loss from MN. Just keep using MTG (or make your own) and you're hair will grow back. I didn't realize I had a hairline until I used my mix lol! My face is looking really different with a hairline; it kinda freaks me out!!!

zailless

Sometimes I wonder if you overstimulate your scalp with say capsaicin to a degree that its not used to, if you stop using it and you scalp scale back on the blood flow how does that affect us?

If you constantly use mtg or sulphur or salycilic acid to kill bacteria, if you stop, do you have a flare up of bacteria that get up and eat all the keratin it can?

Just wondering.

also, if you get ur scalp hooked on biotin manipulating protein to make the keratin, what happens when you decrease massive doses? Is it possible to harm in the long run or maybe stress will get you no matter what you use depending on age. i have been stressed before and if anything my hair was so thick and unmanageable i had to braid it. my mom saw my hair and said it was truly thin.

fmnnity

zailless said:
Hi, I just wanted to break down my products usage and see if you can help me combat some hair loss issues.

Sept 2005 - discovered lhcf, started using mtg and surge.
March 2006 - discontinued mtg, started miconazole
Continued till about mid august.

may - sep - stress, stress and more stress, stopped using vitamins completely

Sept 2006 started using surge
oct 2006 found one patch of hairloss. stopped using surge.
had massive hair shedding. went to doctor - found no issues.
started using cortizone - hair regrew.
decided to switch back to surge - lost another patch of hair and right side hair line.
stopped surge.
hair was barely growing.
started using a mix of castor oil and mtg, hair is shooting up in places i didnt even realize i lost hair. shooting up in between cornrows. i notice my cornrows had bigger spaces in between but i didnt realize i lost hair. just now when i see short patches of hair coming up i realized the loss.

I think i might have hurt my scalp with various products. Even though the products are helping my hair grow back, i resent the fact that now my scalp has become dependent on some kind of stimulant.

I want to heal my scalp. What is your theory on whats going on. Is there a way to wean myself off these products and still keep my growth? What do you suggest?
I have a large patch that broke off in the back of my otherwise thick hair. You mentioned stress. . .do not underestimate the power of it. It will cause hair loss, no matter what products you are using ON your hair. I didn't learn til late that one should up the vitamin B during times of stress. This is the second time this has happened to me. I analyzed and remembered that the first time was during a deployment (definately stressful) and the second time was this year. And this was a very stressful year. Were the times of regrowth after the stress level had gone down? And the breakage from the vitamin deficiency that stress causes can be delayed, it is not always immediate.

zailless

fmnnity said:
I have a large patch that broke off in the back of my otherwise thick hair. You mentioned stress. . .do not underestimate the power of it. It will cause hair loss, no matter what products you are using ON your hair. I didn't learn til late that one should up the vitamin B during times of stress. This is the second time this has happened to me. I analyzed and remembered that the first time was during a deployment (definately stressful) and the second time was this year. And this was a very stressful year. Were the times of regrowth after the stress level had gone down? And the breakage from the vitamin deficiency that stress causes can be delayed, it is not always immediate.

Regrowth is happening now. My edges are regrowing but most importantly patches i didnt know were gone are now coming up. I forgot to mention that i am relaxing more. i did a month detox and paid attention to my diet big time. I dont want to just blame growth stimulants, but I am hoping people who are on the fence about them can give some objective point of view. I have started taking a b vitamin complex with lunch every day. but during the time I was stressed, I was not on any vitamin. I couldnt concentrate. The only way I could say it was caused by the the lack of the stimulants is if during a period when I am not stressed with good nutrition or so. thanks for responding.