Growing up as a kid, What did your Mum use on you?

pebbles

She meant it jokingly Nessa. No harm intended.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Growing up my mom did not do any hair. My Grandmother and Aunt did our hair. She would wash it comb it out use no conditioner. Then she would press it with that royal crown grease. Actually it came out pretty nice!
My Aunt would keep it braided up for the summer. It seems though back then my press and curl lasted a lot longer! Whats up with that?
I guess back then they weren't scared of a little heat! </pre><hr /> Hair type: 4a
summer goal to gain 3 inches

azul11

what is it about flex shampoo? i see so many ladies here say they used it growing up. i heard of it but i never tried it. God bless you all.

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
My mom used whatever shampoo and conditioner that was on sale (Prell, Wella Balsam, VO5, Flex, etc.).

She often used Dax, but she whipped out the Blue magic or Bergamont to press my hair for holidays or special occasions.

curlilocs

jazzyfunknastee said:
LOL Poor Jen. I remember once my babysitter swore that Downy, yes the fabric softener, would relax my naps. She figured that since cotton was a natural fiber, so was hair. Lord Jesus, that was a disaster.

:lol: that is too funny, but I understand the logic! :lol:

bajanplums1

my mom would press my hair. that;s all i could remember--sitting at the stove praying not to get burned, but grew, the i remember hitting shoulder length and swaying it at the ice cream truck.

PatTodd

My mom's routine with me and my sister:

- Wash hair over kitchen sink with Flex Shampoo.

- Add conditioner, but don't detangle :eek: and rinse.

- Towel hair till almost dry.

- Sit us between her legs, grease scalp with blue or green Ultra Sheen, and pull tangles out (OUCH!!) using hard plastic brush and black ACE comb. Pop us in the head with the comb if we cried.

- Put our hair in 4 or 5 "plaits" and call it a night.

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
All I remember was Sulfur 8 grease. That was the loudest smelling grease to me. But fortunately I went to a predominately black school back then so they knew what was up. I also recall using that green bergamont grease too.

jshor09

I remember my mom washing my head greasing with blue magic braiding or putting hair in ponytails and the stocking cap. I alsp remeber her using sulfur 8 to grow my big sis's head . I remember my hair was very thick and long and healthy before my aunt decided to relax my head and told me i needed my ends clipped. So being a hard headed 10 year old i gave myself a trim. My mom was so mad. I also remember before the relaxer my grandma pressing the girls in my family's hair for special occasions.
Memories

Ms Red

This is a great thread. When I was young (up until 8) my mom washed my hair weekly with the brand she used herself. It later became good old Optimum Moisturizing Shampoo or

Without fail, she used Mane N Tail conditioner on my hair and made me sit under her warm dryer for about 15 minutes-- I couldnt sit still for much longer. She then air dried my hair and plaited it & greased my scalp and hair with grease (I think it was Royal- in the red jar) and Stay Sof Fro spray-- go figure.

When I got to be 8 or 9 she started taking me to a hairdresser b/c the hair was too thick and long. Every other Saturday I got my hair washed, greased and warm pressed by the same lady until I was in high school. :eek:

By 15 my mom let me get "hard" presses once a month and at night she always made me wear a silk scarf. As she went through her hair dilemmas (scissor happy stylists, bad relaxers, jherri curls :perplexed ), I think she must have imparted some knowledge on me, because she urged me to stay natural, started doing these hot oil treatments, using those vials of follicure and she's introduced me to aphogee in high school. I was 100% natural and my hair was it's healthiest- it was past bra strap.

When I got to college, everything went downhill with the boxed perms and lack of $$$ :( But I remember all of the good advice she gave me on hair, and still does! :)

azul11

Dang its like kids and their moms were fighting when it came wash time. God bless you all.

locabouthair

my mom put every oil she could think of on my hair. like castor oil, EVOO, cod liver oil, and a lot of dax grease. she felt my hair was very dry and needed a lot of oils.

balisi

Anyone else notice how the products are an indicator of age? :lol:
Looking back, I realize that my Mom was very knowledgeable about my hair. Rarely did anyone else do my hair. Pre-relaxer, she shampooed and conditioned it every Saturday. I remember her using Royal Crown, green DAX, or blue Bergamot grease, on my scalp and hair. She kept my hair in two braided ponytails for daily wear because she said that was easiest. She used a large bobble (which I believe were a new product at the time) for each pony, braided all the way to the tips, turned under the last inch or so and placed a barrette on the end. Sounds pretty protective to me! For special occasions she would form Shirley Temple Curls using only grease and a comb on my damp, freshly shampooed hair, allowing the curls to air-dry. I remember trying to sleep pretty so that I could wear my curls for a second day, but alas, it was never to be. :nono: By morning, I had fallen victim to bed head, and she had to give me my pair of ponytails once again. When I was about 8 she would press my hair, which I hated, but I loved the results. :look: I was 12 when she gave me my first relaxer (Ultra Sheen, in Mild). She was very gentle and it didn't burn or irritate my scalp at all. My hair was so straight and I couldn't wait to show it off. By then, I was washing my hair myself, once a week, using Flex shampoo and conditioner. They smelled so good and you could smell it in your hair for days afterwards. Mom would trim my ends as needed. I never suffered hair breakage or any other problems, and I remember her telling me that leaving my hair loose was asking for split ends. Sorry this is so long, I kinda got carried away by the fond memories. :user:

Pigtails

My mother used Ivory Soap and no conditioner. I had two other sisters and my oldest sister really started us on shampoos and conditioners like Wella and Prell. She also started us on grease like Long Aid K-7 and Dax, and a blue bergamot grease, I can't remember the name. We kept our hair braided and heavily greased and it was very long and thick back then. My grandmother started us on wearing scarves to sleep after combing tangles out of my hair and I have worn a scarf to sleep ever since.

Africurly

My mom used Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo to wash my hair every 2 weeks, put my hair in four braids with dax vegetable oil, then pressed my hair with dax pressing oil. My hair was armpit length at its longest, before I took over and started to get braids. I wore my hair in a ponytail to sleep. My mother used this exact same method on her hair since she was a teenager except she uses Flex shampoo and con. Her hair is almost bra strap length. She gets a trim every couple of months. I'm thinking about using J&J baby shampoo again since its so gentle.

PhonyBaloney500

Wash every two weeks to a month :eek:
I don't particularly recall conditioner
Detangle with a comb and give me PAINFUL headaches
Sometimes use comb attachment on blow dryer to dry/detnagle :confused:

Products: Head and Shoulders shampoo, Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo (loved it!), Vitapointe, and pink lotion. Think she occassionally used Sta Sof Fro.

msmerc

This brings back memories. I had long thick hair that was washed every 2 weeks. I remember shampoo only. Then having my hair and scalp oiled with Royal Crown. I wore my hair mostly in two big braids, twists or cornrows. I was never allowed to have my hair pressed or straightened. I remember going to the shop and having roller sets to straighten out my hair and give it curl. I think they used the afro sheen products. By the time I reached high school, girls were getting relaxers. I couldn't. I was able to go to a chain called Soul Scissors and get my hair blow dried and curled. Beauty supply stores were just coming around. Those were the days! :lol:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Shampoos: Mane N Tail, Elasta QP, and Motions

Relaxers: Just For Me, Hawaiian Silky, ElastaQP, Motions

Grease: BB Super Gro, Softee, Black n Sassy

Vidal Sasson Blowdryer

THAT'S IT!!! :grin:

Lita

My mom would use-flex shampoo & condtioner.dax,afro sheen or ultra sheen. She would also use Indian Henna. My hair was so nice,strong ,healthy,thick & long. My hair was kept in braides. Then my natural hair color was light brown/nice red tones with natural streaks of ash brown that sometimes could pass for blond highlights.Now the color is trying to come back but,it's real dull. THATS MY CHILDHOOD HAIR STORY. HAPPY HAIR GROWING!

Nay

I can't really remember what she washed my hair with. I'm sure it was something cheap and handy, maybe even dishwashing soap :lol:

Conditioner? Please. Wasn't no conditioner up in the house.

I remember she used Royal Crown hair grease when she would go through the ordeal of detangling/braiding my hair. She would have a tall cup of water handy and would dip the hairbrush in the water and then try to work the damp brush through my greased hair. I would always lose a gang of hair and definitely ended up with a headache by the time the process was all over.

Sweet_Ambrosia

The one staple product I remember my mother using on me was Ultra Sheen hair grease. She would wash & condition my hair once a week & put this on my scalp then make around 7 or 8 braids, my hair was bra strap length back then, and before she started relaxing my hair she use to press it every two weeks. Ahh those were the days. :lol:

Kikootie

My mother used to wash my hair once a month with Prell. No conditioner. She would towel dry then use Royal Crown Hair Dressing (basically petrolium) to oil my scalp and hair. Next she put my hair into 8-10 braids and allowed it to air dry. I hated getting my hair washed. :mad:

Brownshugaz

Re: Growing up as a kid, What did your Mum use on

Either my mother or sister would wash my hair with V05 Balsam and Protein Shampoo and Conditioner and then dry my hair using chiney bumps. She would spray it with Infusium 23 and use DAX, or Indian Hemp.