Great Relaxer Tip -- Thank you!

CAPlush

I relaxed today and tried something new. I sectioned my hair into 4 sections, and took each section and parted about 1/2 inch parts and pinned each section with some large bobby pins. It was easy to work through my hair quickly w/o overlapping much at all. After I applied it, I smoothed with the pins still in, then removed them before rinsing. It worked out well and I will definitely be doing this again in the future. I just wanted to say "thank you" to the member who suggested this technique but right now I can't remember who it was!

CAPlush said:
I relaxed today and tried something new. I sectioned my hair into 4 sections, and took each section and parted about 1/2 inch parts and pinned each section with some large bobby pins. It was easy to work through my hair quickly w/o overlapping much at all. After I applied it, I smoothed with the pins still in, then removed them before rinsing. It worked out well and I will definitely be doing this again in the future. I just wanted to say "thank you" to the member who suggested this technique but right now I can't remember who it was!

Making a mental note. Thanks for posting this!

Good idea. This is actually how i moisture and seal my ends at night. So when you start in one section, how many bobby pins are you using?

wheezy807 said:
Good idea. This is actually how i moisture and seal my ends at night. So when you start in one section, how many bobby pins are you using?

In the back, I used 7-8 parts (in each section) because that hair is more dense. In the front I used 5 parts. So there was like 16 in the back and 10 in the front. It was a lot of pins, but it saved me several minutes in application time, I got to start the smoothing process 3-4 minutes earlier, and that's a lot for me because I only process 15 min or so.

finewine83 said:
I agree! I will definitely try this method next time. Hopefully, my NG is able to part after the stretch.

sure, I made parts, but they weren't straight or perfect, but I just made parts the same way I would have if I had been applying the relaxer.

I do this with clips. 12 ponytails all over my head and I use these:
http://www.adiscountbeauty.com/media/spilosectioningclips.jpg

above the clip I use PC to cover previously relaxed hair, below the clip is where I relax. I sometimes don't release the clip, just smoosh the relaxer in each section. (I do it out of sheer laziness!:grin: )

I take more time putting the clips in than applying relaxer:lol: but, this is what keeps me from overlapping. (I'm very anal about getting those clips in right)

But doing it this way has allowed me to apply the relaxer in where I need to in about 8 minutes.

I will release each clip when I have to smooth the hair, but I clip it back when I'm done with the section so I don't get tangles.

Also since I do the nape every other touchup, this keeps me from hitting the nape when I absolutely don't want to (I apply PC to the area in case I get any back there ) When I do have to do my nape its always the last thing I do and always in the last 10 minutes.

For me doing this is so stress free (well, as stress free as self relaxing can be I guess!) Of all the methods I've tried, this one is the one I like the best.

-A

Yes, Arcadian you were the one that shared this tip before! Thank you so much!!! I have so much more confidence with my decision to self relax now that I have this technique in my bag-o-tricks! I was really overlapping too much, especially the front section, and this technique really prevented that.

oh dang!:eek: well hey, you're welcome!:lol: I started doing touchups this way because it just made sense.

Anything that brings down the anxiety of self relaxing is a good thing in my book:up: .

-A

I am weird, I remember avatar pics more than names. You changed your pic, you used to have up one where you had this huge glamorous wavy rollerset.

I like this idea.

SUGGESTION: Can the next person who tries this take some pictures of the hair parted & clipped before you start to apply the relaxer?

I think that will help everyone to clearly see what you are doing.

I'm a long way off from my next relaxer...and actually considering transitioning (probably won't though).

I seem to remember that you shouldn't use metal clips or anything metal on your hair while relaxing. The metal and relaxer is suppose to have some chemical reaction. That why you should take off metal jewlry when relaxing. it would turn black. I don't remember all the details. I just remember it is no no. Just FYI

Keen said:
I seem to remember that you shouldn't use metal clips or anything metal on your hair while relaxing. The metal and relaxer is suppose to have some chemical reaction. That why you should take off metal jewlry when relaxing. it would turn black. I don't remember all the details. I just remember it is no no. Just FYI

Thanks, I thought the coating on the bobby pins would be enough protection. I did think about that before choosing the bobby pins, I did not have any adverse reaction. The relaxer was applied so neatly, that the pins did not get much relaxer on them at all until I removed them! I may upgrade to some plastic duckbills for my next relaxer, I agree plastic is best!

CAPlush said:
I am weird, I remember avatar pics more than names. You changed your pic, you used to have up one where you had this huge glamorous wavy rollerset.

Yeah that was my best rollerset I did that for my anniversary. I've tried it since and it never came out that way again....I'm thinking it was luck:lol:

-A

GOOD TIP! How do you all keep from getting the ends of your hair into the relaxer?

That is such a great idea!!! Thanks :grin: And just in time too because I will be self-relaxing this weekend.

gn1g said:
GOOD TIP! How do you all keep from getting the ends of your hair into the relaxer?

Its part of the reason why I coat the previously relaxed hair very well. I'm a few inches from APL so its not a problem now, but that will change as my hair gets longer.

If a persons hair is really long they could also fold the hair and do a double clip, making sure the 2nd clip is placed higher than the first. The key is to make sure the previously relaxed hair isn't overprocessed, the unrelaxed hair accessed and is processed easier, and, that application time is minimal.

I've not tried double clipping during relaxing but its the option that I've used double clipping in other ways and it has plenty of merrit. I'll be trying it the next relaxer (June-July) I just gotta get some more clips to do my whole head that way.

Since I usually only have about 1 to 2 inches of relaxing to do, right now don't seem to have to worry about getting stuff everywhere and thats due to the planning I do beforehand.

When my hair was much shorter I could clip it and the hair would stand staight up in the air, so for women with shorter hair this is a great technique to use. As my hair got longer I just let the ponytails kind of rest on each other. I'm still careful about how it rests though. The clips that I use give me plenty of height to go under and relax the areas I need to do, and it keeps the previously relaxed hair high enough that when I rest the ponytail on its neighbor it creates an arch so that it dosen't touch the relaxer.

I start to relax in the middle and work my way outward. this also helps me to keep previously relaxed hair from getting over processed too.

If you're watchful of what your doing when you relax then its this is a super easy technique to work with.

hth

-A

gn1g said:

I didn't protect my ends with any product except a bit of oil. I may try some PC next time, I just didn't want to make a mess this time since I was trying something new. I also used a small applicator brush. So as I was flipping through my clipped hair, I only touched the ends with my clean gloved hands. Then I smoothed through it with my fingers, I don't remember what I did to avoid getting it on the ends, I may have used the tail end of the relaxer brush. I probably got some relaxer on the ends, but I used ORS lye, and for some reason the cream isn't all that creamy, it's like greasy, so it left a very thin greasy film on the gloves, so if I got some on the ends it was not visible.

Back