Got new breakage~ need help! (kinda long story)

teacherjess

I am a 4ish, fine haired relaxed head that is currently 2 weeks post relaxer. Just in the past few days I have noticed breakage and shedding. I know I have both because I'm finding both long and short pieces (those w/ white bulb and those without) in comb, on sink, on back of shirt, etc.

I am a bit of a newbie and so I've been researching past threads and read that fine hair needs more protein than normal and coarse heads. However, when I incorporate med. or heavy protein my hair turns a frizzy, hard and dry mess everytime and no amount of moisture afterwards can fix that until I shampoo again. Eggs w/ amla oil mixed as a pre- poo works well for me, but is that a light, medium, or hard protein? And is doing it weekly too much?

I find I have the best results when I clarify often. I use Keracare 1st lather, then use a moisturizing shampoo afterwards and DC w/ heat of course. Is this product ok to use weekly? Or is that too often? I am almost positive that I have breakage from product buildup. My hair is limp, oily, and I've overdosed on product lately.

Tomorrow is wash day and I am planning on clarifying, then washing with a moisturizing poo, doing a hardcore 2step Aphogee treatment, then a moisturizing DC w/ heat for 40 mins. to stop the breakage and give my hair a fresh start.

Please reply if you can answer these two questions. Thanks and sorry for the long post!:spinning:

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
My guess is too much protein. When I first started my HHJ and discovered the moisture/protein balance, I tried the weekly protein treatments. I quickly learned it was too much. With trial & error I've reduced it to every 6 weeks. Try less protein.

HHJ

MA2010

Do you clarify every week?

If so, you might want to decrease the frequency. Clarifying shampoos can be very drying.

Esq.2B

I think the weekly egg might be too much protein for you. You should reduce the frequency and see how your hair responds.

Also, I wouldn't recommend clarifying every week. I think that's probably stripping your hair and causing extra dryness.

ceebee3

I would lay off the protein for a few weeks and do some intense moisture deep conditioners.

Also, you don't have to clarify so often and when you do you don't need to shampoo twice, that will dry out your hair as well.

MissNina

Libra Girl
You want to stay away from clarifying every week. That is entirely way too much and will be very drying. For your next wash, just try the moisturizing poo and DC.

PLEASE don't use the Aphogee 2 step until you get things back to normal. It's such a hard protein. I personally only use the product the week before or after my relaxer. If you need a little protein, try using a leave-in/daily moisturizer with a bit already in it.
HTH

teacherjess

Thanks so much ladies!
I think tomorrow I will just shampoo as usual, DC for 30 mins with heat, and use a very light protein leave in to strengthen my hair.

goodmorningruby

I am a 4ish, fine haired relaxed head that is currently 2 weeks post relaxer. Just in the past few days I have noticed breakage and shedding. I know I have both because I'm finding both long and short pieces (those w/ white bulb and those without) in comb, on sink, on back of shirt, etc.

I am a bit of a newbie and so I've been researching past threads and read that fine hair needs more protein than normal and coarse heads. However, when I incorporate med. or heavy protein my hair turns a frizzy, hard and dry mess everytime and no amount of moisture afterwards can fix that until I shampoo again. Eggs w/ amla oil mixed as a pre- poo works well for me, but is that a light, medium, or hard protein? And is doing it weekly too much?

I find I have the best results when I clarify often. I use Keracare 1st lather, then use a moisturizing shampoo afterwards and DC w/ heat of course. Is this product ok to use weekly? Or is that too often? I am almost positive that I have breakage from product buildup. My hair is limp, oily, and I've overdosed on product lately.

Tomorrow is wash day and I am planning on clarifying, then washing with a moisturizing poo, doing a hardcore 2step Aphogee treatment, then a moisturizing DC w/ heat for 40 mins. to stop the breakage and give my hair a fresh start.

Please reply if you can answer these two questions. Thanks and sorry for the long post!:spinning:

Italicized: What you have been reading is a general recommendation and does not individually address each head of hair. The LHCF #1 adage is "what works for others may not work for you" and this is a perfect example. If your hair was doing fine before the sudden bombardment of protein then go back to that. If the egg and amla oil weekly treatments are working for you then stick to it. I'm not sure whether or not it's true that the molecules from the egg are too large to penetrate the hair cortex and only coat the shaft, but I've seen repeated positive testimonials. And perhaps you should look into ceramides instead of hard/medium proteins.

Underlined: If you're already experiencing breakage and find it hard to remoisturize your hair after these protein treatments then my guess is you'll be really sorry if you do the Aphogee 2 step. That stuff goes hard (literally) and could potentially cause even more breakage without a proper moisturizing DC followup. And even then since you're experiencing difficulty moisturizing (bolded red), a good deep conditioning might not give you the fresh start that you're hoping for.

Also, you might want to re-evaluate clarifying once a week, that's a bit much. You might be drying your hair out.

My final recommendations: Cut out some of the protein, skip Aphogee, look into ceramides, and go easy with the products. Less is usually more for fine haired ladies like yourself and I.

teacherjess

what are ceramides? I've been hearing people use that word on here and have no clue what they are or what they do. Thanks

goodmorningruby

what are ceramides? I've been hearing people use that word on here and have no clue what they are or what they do. Thanks

Check out this classic thread
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=131270

From wikipedia: Ceramides are a family of lipid molecules. A ceramide is composed of sphingosine and a fatty acid.

A good article about ceramides and hair:
http://juvenescent.wordpress.com/2009/05/14/ceramides-and-your-hair/

For me ceramides help with my moisture retention a lot. I use wheat germ (contains ceramides) regularly. It makes my hair feel very strong too, without drying it out like some proteins can.

BostonMaria

I agree with goodmorningruby

Also take into consideration that some people tend to shed more in the winter. I realized that my hair can't be manipulated as much in the winter. I am rollersetting right now and it has cut back significantly on the shedding, but I will probably also follow up with daily garlic pills until I feel my hair is ready for daily co-washing again. I live in Boston and the winters are extremely harsh and drying. My hair needs moisture and not protein right now.

teacherjess

thanks so much goodmorningruby! That is very helpful.

How do you use wheat germ oil? Do you use it to seal in moisture or do you use it by itself?

changingSeasons

Suave has a conditioner with Ceramides. Its the Damage Care line that you can find at Walmart for like $2. It is supposed to be compared to Redken, even though the ceramide is the last ingredient.

Here are the ingredients

Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Dimethiconol Behentrimonium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Dipropylene Glycol, Potassium Chloride, Lactic Acid, Disodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Glycerin, TEA-Dodecylbenzenesulfonate, Tocopheryl Acetate [Vitamin E Acetate], Arginine HCl, Ascorbic Acid [Vitamin C], Panthenol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Linoleamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Silk Amino Acids, Methylisothiazolinone, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Ceramide 2.

I tried it once so far, and liked it.

goodmorningruby

thanks so much goodmorningruby! That is very helpful.

How do you use wheat germ oil? Do you use it to seal in moisture or do you use it by itself?

I normally use wheat germ oil for pre-poos, but I'm almost out and when it's gone I probably won't repurchase for awhile. I get my wheat germ fix primarily with BPT Wheat Germ Rinse. It's a Dominican conditioner. I regard it as a staple for me. It can be used to co-wash, moisturize, etc. I have mixed it in with moisturizing conditioners and pre-poos. I used it when I was natural and I never experienced breakage, the hair was always strong, and retained moisture well. My hair grew and retained like a weed with it, so I wanted to try it on my texlaxed hair. Sho nuff, it still works like a charm.

changedname

Can I ask what you use on a daily basis? I was doing a protein D/C once a week and still experiencing breakage, even though I used a lot of moisture afterwards. I didn't realise that my leave in, that I was using daily, had protein in it! So I was overloading my hair with protein without knowing it.

ITA with the laying off clarifying as well. It will really dry out your hair.

teacherjess

Can I ask what you use on a daily basis? I was doing a protein D/C once a week and still experiencing breakage, even though I used a lot of moisture afterwards. I didn't realise that my leave in, that I was using daily, had protein in it! So I was overloading my hair with protein without knowing it.

ITA with the laying off clarifying as well. It will really dry out your hair.

I moisturize & seal daily. I love to seal w/ castor oil-this is a staple for me...however I have yet to find a HG moisturizer. I can't do really heavy cream moisturizers because my hair is fine, and a light spray leave in like Nexxus Humectress leave in isn't enough to combat the dryness I get on my ends. I have tried at least 5 or 6 different moisturizers. Currently I'm using BB Castor oil hair lotion. Its got aloe vera gel & castor oil. I like it so far-- not too heavy or greasy, as long as I'm not heavy handed with it (which I have a tendency to be w/ product). I try to use protein sparingly.

GeauXavi

I'm gonna go an unconventional route and ask...

When is the last time you had a trim?

I have fine/dense hair...and when my ends get brittle/split, they wrap around other strands causing breakage when I manipulate my hair. Even a dusting usually reduces my breakage by about 90%. After my dusting or trim, proceed to baby my hair with roller-sets and the only protein that I use is either an egg treatment, or hair mayo pre/post poo, and I'm good to go for another 3-4 months.

I know this may not be the most popular answer...But regular dustings/trims keep my fine hair on the track for healthy growth...ESPECIALLY if I am heat styling at least once weekly. HTH!

teacherjess

:grin:Update:

thanks everyone for your advice. I'm almost positive that I had a product overload which will make my hairs break & snap every time. I know my head! Less is definitely more for me.

I shampooed yesterday w/ 1st lather because I really had a lot of product to cut through on my strands (it did my head a world o' good) then followed up w/ CON green label. Next I proceeded to DC w/ moisturizing deep conditioner for 30 mins w/ heat. After I rinsed that out, I applied VO5 moisture milks condish for added slip, then rinsed & applied Porosity control~ left on for a quick minute. I sprayed Aphogee Keratin & green tea as a leave in and let it air dry. Once dry, I lightly oiled scalp w/ castor oil and sealed a tiny bit on the ends.
I know that sounds like a lot of products and steps, but it must have been the magic combination (get rid of buildup + moisture, moisture, moisture+ light protein cocktail) because it has worked!
The breakage has definitely stopped almost completely and my hair is smooth, has body,is shiny, and manageable!!!I've got my hair back. I am so glad you all advised me to step away from the hard protein....it has never been my friend, but I was desperate.

@ Conqueror_ aka: The last trim I had was September 2009...I really could benefit from a dusting, but my ends honestly look and feel good considering.

I am also reformed-- no more weekly clarifying~ only when hair needs it.:yep: