Good Hooded Dryer < $40 (thick, texturized 3b-4a)?

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
Does anyone use a hooded dryer (under $40) on a regular basis (at least once per month) with good results? Where did you purchase your hooded dryer?

I'm particularly interested in those who have THICK, BELOW SHOULDER LENGTH, TEXTURIZED 3B-4A hair. No offense to those who don't fall into that category, but I'm trying to find out the results for those with hair more similar to my own.

If you use a more expensive dryer, please let me know the price, if you would and where you purchased it.

Thanks in advance!

webby

Think Slim
I have one from Sally's, a cheapy that worked pretty well. The only problem is that I couldn't get my bigger rollers under it comfortably and it was did not put out as much air as my salon dryer. It was taking me close to 2 hours to dry short hair.

I purchased a Highlander Venus, which is the one they use at my salon. I bought it at sally's for $129...the wheels cost an extra $30.

CaramelHonee and a few others recommend Pibbs dryers, they're more money, but definitely HOT!

CurlyCrly

Thanks webby! I guess I'll have to spend more to get something like the $129 dryer. I will be using larger rollers and I want something that will comfortably fit and I don't want to sit under it for more than an hour. So, I want salon quality....which means more money. A $40 dryer probably won't be adequate. I didn't want to spend too much because I don't rollerset often. Oh well. Thanks again for your input.

webby

Think Slim
Curly, I would try out a less expensive dryer before splurging. I had my cheapy dryer for a good while and keep in case I'm travelling. Also, my hair is super dense and just tends to require a lot of "patience".

If I were you, I'd buy a cheap dryer, test it and return if I didn't like it. Keep in mind, the salon dryers take up a lot more space. I have a "shrine" dedicated to hair stuff

CurlyCrly

I forgot about ebay. I also forgot that sally's takes returns. Perhaps I will try a less expensive one first. Good ideas! Thanks isis and webby.

oglorious1

Mixologist
Believe it or not I found a GREAT hooded dryer at the Goodwill store that works great for me. Here's the catch, I found the exact same dryer in Sally's for a lot more. The Goodwill store even let me try it out, they said if it didn't work for me that I could bring it back.

ccd

Re: Good Hooded Dryer < $40 (thick, texturized 3b-

I used the Lazey Dazy ($35-40 ) in the past but it would take close to 2 hrs and then it fell one too many times so I had to get a new one...Babyliss/Conair . for $100 but it's soooo worth it, no set up, just plug it in and I've used it far beyond the price of going to the salon so I think it's worth it.

The only drawback with this one is once you use a certain size roller...the ones in the back stick out...but I've solve that problem
( I have a "spa towel" and I wrap it around the perimeter of the dryer, making it hotter too) The Pibbs style is the best IMO.

check this site out: http://www.appliancesource.com

webby

Think Slim

CCD, now you're gonna make a junky like me try to find a way of upgrading to the Pibbs.

ccd

ahhh...... I know!!!
The info I get from this board will make me get a part time job soon if I'm not careful!!!!! or start my own rehab program for PJ's ........hmmmmm

CurlyCrly

What do you all think is the minimum wattage necessary to dry thick, texturized, below shoulder length hair in an hour or less?

Many, many years ago I went to a stylist who would rollerset my hair and it would take about an hour and it was HOT! I don't know what the wattage was though.

CurlyCrly

I checked ebay and there wasn't a hooded dryer listed.
Sally's has the ion hard hat dryer for $39.99 this month and it has 1875 watts. I don't know if it will be large enough to fit my big head with larger rollers though. I may go take a look.