Going from relaxer to texturizer

nelle106

K...so I have a question. I've been wanting to go to a texturizer instead of relaxing, but I was wondering how long should I wait before I take the plunge?
The last time I had a relaxer was March 25th. I know that it is too soon now, but I was hoping to get one this summer. What is you guys advice?

BrEE

you'll have 2 different textures but as long as you only relax/texturize the new growth i dont think your hair will fall out.and it'll prob be harder to manage the different hair patterns.

CheerBear

You could transition for a while to get as much growth as you can deal with before you go to texturizing, so you could maybe cut off the relaxed ends to save yourself trouble dealing with the two textures and have an ok length

GinuwinesBoo

it would be like going from relaxed to natural and u would have to cut off all the relaxed ends. but u could just texturize the new growth like bree said.

model_chick717

It's a lot easier to go from relaxed to texturizerized than from relaxed to natural. You are still dealing with two different textures, but texturized hair is not as resistant to certain styles like truly natural hair is. As curly as my hair still gets even though it is texturized--when I rollerset on medium to large rollers, my hair looks fully relaxed. It's just while transitioning, you still have to style your hair the same as you would while it's relaxed, because of the straight ends. HTH!

Honeychild11

Model:
Okay, I have a question about texturizing...If I understand correctly the difference between texturizing and relaxing...is that a relaxer stays on longer, but it's the same product. Right? If I am wrong please educate me...Seems like this is a good compromise. But, I was wondering how long do you go between texturizers? And, did you notice any (large amounts) of hair breakage when you were transitioning? Thanks

model_chick717

You're exactly right. A texturizer is just a relaxer that is left on for a shorter period of time and is usually in a mild strength. The other key is to go longer between touch-ups because you're less likely to overlap the already texturized hair. I usually go about 4 months in-between, but every now and then, I try to go further just to challenge myself.

No, I haven't experience much breakage at all....just get your relaxed ends trimmed semi-regularly.