God and Polygamy/Adultery

cocoberry10

Hi Ladies:

In light of all these threads on marriage, women's roles in the church and my own bible reading, I thought of the above topic.

I have really been going back and forth on the issue of polygamy/adultery, especially after reading a few bible passages where the men had multiple wives. It would seem that having multiple wives constitutes adultery, and that God would not be okay with this. But when I read the story of David and Bathsheba and read an interpretation sermon of this, it seems that David's sin was not in sleeping with Bathsheba (because doing so would be like taking her on as a wife), but in killing her husband and trying to cover his act. There are other stories of polygamists (Abraham, Solomon, and Jacob, to name a few), and it doesn't seem like this is a problem. Goodness, Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines.

I ask this, because we are in a similar situation today with there being more women than men in the world. Are women not supposed to expect monogamy? I guess I asked a lot of questions, but if anyone has thoughts to share, I'd appreciate it! Thanks.

ritzbitz78

Moses murdered some Egyptian, and God said thou shall not murder, yet Moses was greatly used of God. The Bible tells us about who we are and especially who God is. It is a history book, showing that not all people followed what God intended.... and thats where things go wrong. Just because it is in the Bible as a story doesn't mean God ordains/condones it.

Solomon, was extremely depressed (read Ecclesiates) David had familial issues- his son raped his daughter, one tried to overthrow him, just drama... Jacob had mucho drama because of his 4 wives, with fighting amongst the kids, they were trying to kill Joseph.

We need to look at God's standard and ideal and know he wants that for each woman here (He says: for I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you)

His standard in the Garden of Eden: he made 1 Adam and 1 Eve and put them together as man and wife.... He wants that for every man and especially for every woman.

But people mess up, and want to do their own thing, and wreak havoc and their life and everyone else around them.

The Greatest news is: God Forgives!! His grace is abundant beyond any grievous sin we can imagine, He can forgive and does.

But He ain't forgiving so we can go right back into the sinful muck he took us out of.

Hope this helps

cocoberry10

ritzbitz78 said:
Moses murdered some Egyptian, and God said thou shall not murder, yet Moses was greatly used of God. The Bible tells us about who we are and especially who God is. It is a history book, showing that not all people followed what God intended.... and thats where things go wrong. Just because it is in the Bible as a story doesn't mean God ordains/condones it.

Solomon, was extremely depressed (read Ecclesiates) David had familial issues- his son raped his daughter, one tried to overthrow him, just drama... Jacob had mucho drama because of his 4 wives, with fighting amongst the kids, they were trying to kill Joseph.

We need to look at God's standard and ideal and know he wants that for each woman here (He says: for I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you)

His standard in the Garden of Eden: he made 1 Adam and 1 Eve and put them together as man and wife.... He wants that for every man and especially for every woman.

But people mess up, and want to do their own thing, and wreak havoc and their life and everyone else around them.

The Greatest news is: God Forgives!! His grace is abundant beyond any grievous sin we can imagine, He can forgive and does.

But He ain't forgiving so we can go right back into the sinful muck he took us out of.

Hope this helps

Thanks, this definitely helps. That was where the confusion lied for me. I couldn't rationalize that God was "okay" with polygamy, but thought that people in the bible did it, and of course it wasn't God's perfect will. But like you said, God is forgiving and we are all human and make wrong choices. The good thing is, He still works with us, mistakes and all!

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
cocoberry10 said:
Hi Ladies:

In light of all these threads on marriage, women's roles in the church and my own bible reading, I thought of the above topic.

I have really been going back and forth on the issue of polygamy/adultery, especially after reading a few bible passages where the men had multiple wives. It would seem that having multiple wives constitutes adultery, and that God would not be okay with this. But when I read the story of David and Bathsheba and read an interpretation sermon of this, it seems that David's sin was not in sleeping with Bathsheba (because doing so would be like taking her on as a wife), but in killing her husband and trying to cover his act. There are other stories of polygamists (Abraham, Solomon, and Jacob, to name a few), and it doesn't seem like this is a problem. Goodness, Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines.

I ask this, because we are in a similar situation today with there being more women than men in the world. Are women not supposed to expect monogamy? I guess I asked a lot of questions, but if anyone has thoughts to share, I'd appreciate it! Thanks.
I'm a little sleepy right now, but I will 'begin' here and come back later.

First, consider yourself exempt from polygamy.

Second, I have also, always had questions about this. Yet the Holy Spirit keeps taking me to a 'fast forward' --

Luke 1:5-6: Zachariah and Martha (Parents of John the Baptist)

5In the time of Herod king of Judea there was a priest named Zechariah, who belonged to the priestly division of Abijah; his wife Elizabeth was also a descendant of Aaron. 6Both of them were upright in the sight of God, observing all the Lord's commandments and regulations blamelessly.

Luke 2:4-5: "Mary and Joseph" (parents of Jesus);

4 So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David.

5 He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child.

Then He took me back here:

He 'began' with Adam and Eve who were His original intent -- One man; One woman. Adam did not have another wife until after Eve died. God also showed me something: He only created ONE woman for Adam...bone of his bone, flesh of his flesh. (Another woman would have left Adam 'ribless'....:rolleyes:...Ummm, sorry :lol: - Don't forget, I'm writing this while sleepy :look: so I'm a little silly and punchy.

Ooookayyy; Anyhoooooo....continuing on: ;)

Abraham and Sarah (one wife; although he committed adultury at Sarah's bidding because of her doubt of becoming pregnant.

Issac and Rebekkah (Abraham's son)

Joseph (Jacob's son) had only one wife

Moses and Zeporah

Ruth and Boaz

Now, fast forward again to Martha and Zachariah and Mary and Joseph.

From my reading and teachings, there hasn't been mention of any other polygamous union since. Although, I'm sure there may have been, but to my knowledge, there is no mention of it.

Now, something changed in the course of time to bring 'marriage' back to God's original intent...One Man/One Woman. And this is where the Lord has me regarding marriage and where He keeps me.

Ephesians 5:33
However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

1 Timothy 3:2
Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,

1 Timothy 3:12
A deacon must be the husband of but one wife and must manage his children and his household well.

Titus 1:6
An elder must be blameless, the husband of but one wife, a man whose children believe and are not open to the charge of being wild and disobedient.

Hebrews 13:4

Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.

I don't believe that God ever approved it; especially when I read the laws in the books of Leviticus and Deuteronomy and when I read the 10 Commandments...

Exodus 20:14: "You shall not commit adultery" and

Exodus 20:17: "You shall not covet your neighbor's house. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor."

For some reason that I am not clear on, God simply 'allowed' it (polygamy), but it was never His original design. I'm very eagar to hear what others have to share on this.

Referring back to my comment "exempt" yourself from polygamy"... looking a scripture, beginning wtih Adam and Eve until now, monogamy has always been God's orignal intent for marriage.

Further proof? ...STD's -- AIDs --- the problems with multiple partners in this day and age totally rules out polygamy.

More proof? "I'm just not having it." Want scripture to back this up?

Genesis 21:9: Sarah saw that the son whom Hagar the Egyptian had borne to Abraham was mocking, 10 andthat she said to Abraham, "Get rid of slave woman and her son, for that slave woman's son will never share in the inheritance with my son Isaac."

11 The matter distressed Abraham greatly because it concerned his son.

12 But God said to him, "Do not be so distressed about the boy and your maidservant. Listen to whatever Sarah tells you, because it is through Isaac that your offspring [b] will be reckoned. 13 I will make the son of the maidservant into a nation also, because he is your offspring."

Want another? "Cast the bond woman out!" Galations 4:30

It all spells Manogamy......you do not have to settle for less.

BTW: Look what scared the 'sleep' out of me...

Deuteronomy 25:11-12:

If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity. :shocked:

I'm sure glad Jesus came to change this law...:lol:

Now, "Sweet Coco" Shimmie goes to sleep. Night - Night Angel :sleeping:

Last edited: