Give me your BEST natural hair advice!

leigh.hill

Retention has become an issue with my natural hair. I JUST figured out that combing is bad. I mean I broke the most of the teeth from one pick and then I had the nerve to buy the metal afro pick with the fist on the handle :nono:!!!!!

1. Ditch the picks and combs. Finger comb and detangle - Got it!

WHAT ELSE?
I tired of learning the hard way. Just tell me :grin:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Be gentle when detangling. It only takes a second to break a strand, but it takes months to grow it back.

bronzephoenix

Accept YOUR natural hair.
Don't covet thy neighbor's natural hair.
Less is more.
Don't fix what ain't broken.
Low manipulation.
There's no need to spend a fortune.
Shrinkage isn't the end of the world. YOU know how long your hair is.
Everything isn't for everyone.
Healthy hair over errythang.
Find a routine & go on autopilot to maintain sanity & create predictable results.
Find your "go-to" style.
No-one should handle your hair better than you.
Technique > products.
Each product can have multiple uses. Know when to disregard the label.
Know when to follow directions.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

charmtreese

My best advice is:

1. Finger detangling is everything...I do not go strand by stand like some ladies do that finger detangling, but I do very gently detangle my hair with my fingers in 8 sections. detangle is something I do throughout the wash process so it's okay if I do not get all of the tangles out during my pre-poo, I still have to cleanse, treat, deep condition, and apply leave-ins.
2. Find products that work for your hair - I give things one chance and one chance only...if my hair does not respond well Im moving on. Take that mess back to the store!
3. Once you find your products and a regimen that works, stick to it - DO NOT CHANGE WHAT WORKS FOR YOU BASED ON WHAT A SUPPOSED HAIR GURU SAYS!!! However, to add spice you can introduce new products or techniques one at a time to see how you like them....they may work if not move on!
4. If you have fine hair find a reconstructing conditioner or protein conditioner that you like and use it regularly. This helps combats breakage!!
5. In the beginning you are going to have to assess your hair to see what it likes and what it doesn't like. I would no recommend hiding it in weaves or braid extensions for a long period of time...you want to get to know it and find out what works, that could be hard to do in long term PS.

Jace032000

Less is more.
Low manipulation.
Find a routine & go on autopilot to maintain sanity & create predictable results.
Find your "go-to" style.
Technique > products.

Lot's of gems in here---I'm especially loving this list here ^^

I'll add that if you must use a comb, than comb hair from the bottom up.

curlyTisME

Do NOT fall in love with someone else's natural hair!! Love yours!

Patience with detangling and low manipulation.

starchgirl

Water is your friend - drink it and use it on your hair frequently
Deep condition often
Find the right balance of moisture and protein for your hair
Some of the best hair products come from the grocery store not the BSS
Protect your hair at night and from the harsh elements (excessive sun, cold, wind) by covering it up and/or protective styling
Baby your ends - retention starts with your ends
Be patient

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
my best advice is do what works for your hair. there is no one-size-fits-all way for handling hair. you have to be patient, you aren't going to figure everything out in one day.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Keep satin throw pillows on your sofa or wherever you lounge. That way you ain't gotta worry about jumping up off the couch to get your wrap or keeping your head wrapped around the house 24/7.

Said pillows should, of course, coordinate with the rest of your decor as to blend in well. :grin:

lux10023

never ever ever deal with natural hair if your frustrated or tired or impatient--wait till you have time and are in a good mood.....

be gentle with your natural hair--dont take it out on your curls/coif!!!! lol

leigh.hill

Wow - I was not expecting this type of spiritual hair advice. Surprised and grateful!!!! Thanks ladies.

Last edited:

tjrj1998

Less is more.
Low manipulation.
Find your "go-to" style.
Technique > products.

This needs to be stickied. Ive created a list like this in my head for months now.

Im am working with my cousin on transitioning and Ive told her these things on so many occasions. The ones I am a stickler for are:
Technique > products

Ms Lala

Retention has become an issue with my natural hair. I JUST figured out that combing is bad. I mean I broke the most of the teeth from one pick and then I had the nerve to buy the metal afro pick with the fist on the handle :nono:!!!!!

1. Ditch the picks and combs. Finger comb and detangle - Got it!

WHAT ELSE?
I tired of learning the hard way. Just tell me :grin:

My seamless comb changed my hair life. It is the best! You've got tons of good advice. I would honestly just say enjoy the journey. It can take alot of trial and error. Don't get so hung up on a certain look or length that you don't have fun in the process.

naturalmanenyc

Just because a stylist has natural hair doesn't mean you should let them touch your head. Know when to get up and walk out.

I've made this mistake myself, presuming that someone with a head full of curls similar to my mine would know how to handle my hair. Hmph. Those are the ones who ripped through my hair the worst. In the past I would sit there and deal with it. Now that I know better, I have walked out of a salon with a head full of wet hair.

tjrj1998

Look for products with similar ingredients in the same or similar order.

My hair LOVES behentrimonium methosulfate, so I snatch up anything that contains it.

My hair can do without aloe vera juice too high up on the ingredients list.

overtherainbow

Seal, Seal, Seal! Whether it's with oils or butters, seal your hair after moisturizing to lock in that moisture. Sealing transformed my hair (relaxed and natural) when I got the hang of it.

LIA- Leave it alone. Besides the bare minimum (moisturizing, sealing ,washing, condition ect), don't comb or excessively manipulate your hair everyday. Keep your hands out during the day and cover at night (if you can). My hair thrives when I just style on wash day and let it do its thing through out the week.

And most importantly: Make doing your hair enjoyable. Before, I used to hate slaving away in the hot bathroom for hours on end and this caused me to hate my hair. Now I style my hair in the comforts of my room, sitting down, while listening to my favorite podcasts or audio books. My detangling sessions became a joy when narrated by my favorite authors/historians. In turn, because I'm not rushing through my hair and taking the time to care for it, I'm seeing significantly less breakage, mats and splits.

leigh.hill

Look for products with similar ingredients in the same or similar order.

My hair LOVES behentrimonium methosulfate, so I snatch up anything that contains it.

My hair can do without aloe vera juice too high up on the ingredients list.

PREACH! I tried to get on the aloe vera juice bandwagon :nono:. Bought a gallon of it from Trader Joe's!!! I purchased sprays, spritzes, lotions, etc. with aloe vera juice and my hair hates the stuff!!!!!! I even tried to drink it. :perplexed

I thought once about looking at ingredients of products that work, like Jojoba oil :lick:, and then the thought went away. Thanks for the reminder!!!!

ETA: Just ordered some sample products based on the ingredients in my FAV conditioner from BeeMine. Can't wait to get them.

Last edited:

DrC

Trimming every 6-8 weeks is b.s.

It took time for me to realize I was cutting off my progress when I first went natural. Split ends are inevitable, but that doesn't mean when you have a few split ends you need a trim immediately. They're meant to happen. Especially with natural hair. Now I just do S&D (search and destroy) and trim my hair maybe 2-3 times a year.

krissyc39

Be consistent. Sometimes when you have dry/damaged/high porosity ends you can do everything right and it still wont feel like you're doing much but keep going. When I first got serious about my hair care I didn't see much retention in the first 6 months... Now my hair is 4 inches longer (without splits) and getting longer by the month.

Smaller Goals. We all know that retention is the key to longer hair but doing length checks all the time can get frustrating and make you want to quit. Instead focus on smaller goals that are in line with healthy hair practices (keeping ends moisturized, protein treatments, deep conditioning etc). Hair length and health are correlated!

Happy Hair Growing and don't forget to love your hair through the process :)

southerncitygirl

Trim/dust 1/8- 1/4 inch every 3-4 months....its not worth determining whether your hair can go longer and having a major setback, I speak from repeated experience as it too me a while to connect the dots.

Wash sections of at least 4-6 loose plaits/twists to minimize tangling.

Detangle hair when damp or wet with a wide tooth shower comb or paddle brush and a leave-in condish with slip. I only comb/detangle on wash day.

Do a treatment incorporating hydrolyzed proteins at least every 4-6 weeks cause they penetrate the strand and adhere to the hair longer than homemade treatments using yogurt, eggs, mayo, etc.

Trim your hair when blowdried straight or flatironed so you can see what your ends truly look like.

Leave your hair alone and do the bare minimum for maximum retention.

Incorporate ceramides into your regimen.

Moisturize and seal (or LCO/LOC if you desire) your hair at least 1-3 times a week if its not flatironed (straight hair may revert)

Less is more with your reggie, create one and stick to it!

Figure out what ingredients your hair loves and don't stray or deviate from them!

MarieB

I wish this thread was around when I finally decided to transition a couple of years ago...I had to learn most of this stuff the hard way. But I do agree with everything I've read, and I would add this: listen to your hair's needs as it grows; what worked when I was transitioning and then at SL is not necessarily what my hair wants at APL and (I hope to see) beyond. Also, don't give up--natural hair has been worth all the trials, challenges, and improvisation for me.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
Stay away from Micro braids. Look at those braiders hair, do you see their hairlines? Do you want your hairline like theirs? Then don't do it!

southerncitygirl

PinkSunshine77

This isn't true.. I rely use heat and keep my hair twisted or in twistouts. I rely moisture/seal (or LCO) and use hydrolyzed hardcore protein at least once a month as well. I also don't have fine strands, they are more medium. I wash in sections and detangle my wet hair with a shower comb with a leave-in that has tons of slip.

Many of the ladies on this forum who flatiron and have crappy results is not just because of technique but their ends look chewed up. I have notcied ppl seem to be scared to say anything to them for fear of being attacked or feelings getting hurt but that's a whole other thread:look: When hair is exposed to the elements ( heat, sun,low/humidity, etc.) This is still wear & tear on your strands.

The only folks can can seem to go long periods without trimming seem to have thick, coarse, resistant strands (think naptural85 or haircrush from youtube or Lucie from this forum)

I suggest that ppl not go the route of trimming infrequently because its not worth trying to grow out 3-7 inches of hair without trimming if you are going to have to cut 3-5 cause you only trim 1-2 times a year. It is very difficult to see what's going on with your ends when you wear your hair textured and it often can feel like there are no issues which is why trimming flatironed or blowdried hair is important. A 1/8-1/4 inch every 3 months will not hurt your retention in fact it may help it.:yep: I went to years of infrequent trimming and stayed stuck at APL for years even with tweaking various parts of my reggie. I had a setback recently with not trimming cause my stylist of more than 8yrs was MIA and I was on the hunt for a new one, my hair is cut in layers so I like to keep the shape even when I get just a dusting. I needed a trim in January and couldn't find a new stylist via a referral until March so my hair went from btw BSL/MBL back up to APL. Its ok because I know it will grow back and my new stylist is far more competent.

Regular trims are NOT needed unless you're constantly straightening or otherwise putting your ends at risk.