Gather Around. I Have a Story to Tell.

loolalooh

True story. So I arrive at the airport to discover that my flight has been delayed from 5:40pm until 6:30pm. It's about 3pm and I go to the gate counter to ask if I can get on another flight. The ticket agent tells me that there are no other flights. So I walk away disappointed. (An emotion from the flesh.) Then I decide to look up the flights for myself. (Initiating a plan without getting God's stamp of approval.) I go online and discover that there is a 4:50pm flight with one stop, so back to the gate counter I go. I ask the ticket agent about the 4:50pm flight, he confirms that it exists, I ask if I can board that flight, he tells me no because the few seats that are available are saved for passengers who miss their connections. I say okay and walk away disappointed. (An emotion rising from the flesh again.) At this point the flight has been delayed another half hour until 7pm. So then I speak to God, inform Him of my disappointment, and then He gives me peace. I am now unfazed by the delay and decide to listen to Gospel music until my flight boards. (When you've accepted God's plan is when the enemy comes to disrupt your acceptance.) But then a voice tells me "not so fast ... your name may be called soon". Huh? So I wait. Within a few minutes, the ticket agent is calling my name to come get a ticket for the earlier 4:50pm flight. I'm ecstatic. (The flesh is satisfied.)

So I board the 4:50pm flight. As we're taxi-ing for takeoff, I hear the plane go over a bump. It was loud enough for all to hear but didn't really phase anyone since the plane continued into takeoff. As we're flying higher into the air, I feel an unrest to the point where I imagine the plane crashing. (The Holy Spirit is speaking.) Immediately, I pray to God for protection during the flight. Within a few minutes, the captain announces that something is wrong with the plane and we will be heading back to the gate.

Fast forward to 6:30pm when we have an emergency landing and are briefed on how to "brace for impact". We finally return to the gate and safely. (The Holy Spirit intervened.) When we eventually get off the plane, the original ticket agent calls my name to hand me my original 5:40pm ticket. He tells me "see, I told you to wait". (Hearing God's voice.) There was no point in going on that earlier flight.

What is the moral of the story?
  1. Seek God first in all things. Of course, I know this already, but I forget this at times, especially when it comes to the "little" things, like "should I look up earlier flights."
  2. Kill the flesh. When I think "flesh", I think of obvious sins like lust, anger, etc. However, it is easy to forget that certain "emotions" are of the flesh as well. "Disappointment" is not of God; it is a product of the "flesh". The definition of "disappointed" is "sad or displeased because someone or something has failed to fulfill one's hopes or expectations." That definition, itself, encompasses self-satisfying components. It's all about "me" and my expectations ... not about "God" and His expectations.
  3. The enemy will have you thinking the Lord is at the root of a mess when it is actually you who opened the door to that mess. When I reflected on the situation, I realized that it was the enemy/flesh urging me to check out that 4:50pm flight. How do I know this? Because my spirit was urging me against checking that flight, but I ignored it. I "rationalized" it away.
  4. There are other reflections that I'm still sorting out, but that is all for now, ladies. :)

CoilyFields

Good job acknowledging God. Some people believe that God is not concerned about the little things but I believe He uses lots of big and Little things to teach us obedience and how to follow the Holy Spirit.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I'm sorry loolalooh, not trying to take away from your testimony, but after reading your original posts, I did not feel like you were going against God's plan by trying to get on the earlier flight. I just feel like God is sovereign in every decision that we make and in everything that happens to us.

SummerSolstice

I'm sorry loolalooh, not trying to take away from your testimony, but after reading your original posts, I did not feel like you were going against God's plan by trying to get on the earlier flight. I just feel like God is sovereign in every decision that we make and in everything that happens to us.

LOL I was wondering the same... when you said that you were being impatient... was that really the flesh? If so was it the flesh to even book a plane ticket? i get confused between the 2...

loolalooh

Poohbear: No worries, Poohbear. It is a valid point. I did think about that long and hard. :) After the situation occurred, I kept on asking what happened here. I do believe that He wanted me to "wait" until my original flight, but that He allowed me to "get" my own way to teach me obedience. Technically, God knows each and every action we will take ahead of time, so in that sense, no, I didn't veer off what He knew would occur. I hope that makes sense. :)

loolalooh

LOL I was wondering the same... when you said that you were being impatient... was that really the flesh? If so was it the flesh to even book a plane ticket? i get confused between the 2...

SummerSolstice: Yep. :yep: He's been working on me on a particular situation, and this was part of it. Now, I'm not saying everyone who decides to get on an "earlier" flight is heeding the enemy. :nono: Nope. He directs each of us individually according to the situation and circumstances. In this particular case, He's working on me on a particular area, and when I recognized that, I realized that I was heeding the flesh (i.e., disappointment).

loolalooh

Good job acknowledging God. Some people believe that God is not concerned about the little things but I believe He uses lots of big and Little things to teach us obedience and how to follow the Holy Spirit.

Yes! :) What I notice is the more we pay attention during the "little" things, the better we hear Him. The less we pay attention, the less we hear Him.

Misseyl

True story. So I arrive at the airport to discover that my flight has been delayed from 5:40pm until 6:30pm. It's about 3pm and I go to the gate counter to ask if I can get on another flight. The ticket agent tells me that there are no other flights. So I walk away disappointed. (An emotion from the flesh.) Then I decide to look up the flights for myself. (Initiating a plan without getting God's stamp of approval.) I go online and discover that there is a 4:50pm flight with one stop, so back to the gate counter I go. I ask the ticket agent about the 4:50pm flight, he confirms that it exists, I ask if I can board that flight, he tells me no because the few seats that are available are saved for passengers who miss their connections. I say okay and walk away disappointed. (An emotion rising from the flesh again.) At this point the flight has been delayed another half hour until 7pm. So then I speak to God, inform Him of my disappointment, and then He gives me peace. I am now unfazed by the delay and decide to listen to Gospel music until my flight boards. (When you've accepted God's plan is when the enemy comes to disrupt your acceptance.) But then a voice tells me "not so fast ... your name may be called soon". Huh? So I wait. Within a few minutes, the ticket agent is calling my name to come get a ticket for the earlier 4:50pm flight. I'm ecstatic. (The flesh is satisfied.)

So I board the 4:50pm flight. As we're taxi-ing for takeoff, I hear the plane go over a bump. It was loud enough for all to hear but didn't really phase anyone since the plane continued into takeoff. As we're flying higher into the air, I feel an unrest to the point where I imagine the plane crashing. (The Holy Spirit is speaking.) Immediately, I pray to God for protection during the flight. Within a few minutes, the captain announces that something is wrong with the plane and we will be heading back to the gate.

Fast forward to 6:30pm when we have an emergency landing and are briefed on how to "brace for impact". We finally return to the gate and safely. (The Holy Spirit intervened.) When we eventually get off the plane, the original ticket agent calls my name to hand me my original 5:40pm ticket. He tells me "see, I told you to wait". (Hearing God's voice.) There was no point in going on that earlier flight.

What is the moral of the story?
  1. Seek God first in all things. Of course, I know this already, but I forget this at times, especially when it comes to the "little" things, like "should I look up earlier flights."
  2. Kill the flesh. When I think "flesh", I think of obvious sins like lust, anger, etc. However, it is easy to forget that certain "emotions" are of the flesh as well. "Disappointment" is not of God; it is a product of the "flesh". The definition of "disappointed" is "sad or displeased because someone or something has failed to fulfill one's hopes or expectations." That definition, itself, encompasses self-satisfying components. It's all about "me" and my expectations ... not about "God" and His expectations.
  3. The enemy will have you thinking the Lord is at the root of a mess when it is actually you who opened the door to that mess. When I reflected on the situation, I realized that it was the enemy/flesh urging me to check out that 4:50pm flight. How do I know this? Because my spirit was urging me against checking that flight, but I ignored it. I "rationalized" it away.
  4. There are other reflections that I'm still sorting out, but that is all for now, ladies. :)

Amen. Like my mother loves to say, "never feel sorry over disappointment" and she is right almost all the time.

Sheriberi

Thank you, Loolahloo for the OP and thank everyone else for the discussion that followed. It was ALL helpful to me.

I sometimes struggle with feeling that when situations are easy and turn out in my favor, its because I did things correctly and am being "rewarded". Then, when things are difficult and outcomes are not so good, I feel like I'm being "penalized" for something I did wrong. I search for the "reasons" and "causes" after the fact. I try to force it all into my own understanding (what Proverb 3:5-6 teaches us NOT to do).

I think I understand the OP. The point is not that it was automatically WRONG to search out another flight. The point is that it is RIGHT to pray, seek God, wait on Him, then take the action that He leads you to (which could have been to search for another flight, or to wait patiently).

la mosca

Wonderful testimony. I'm so glad you and the other passengers are ok.

It's pretty amazing that you wrote about this today, because I'm going through something similar right now, and I think God is sending me the same message. My family had booked a trip to China (where DH would be attending a conference), and we were super-excited. We were supposed to leave in about two weeks. Well, just yesterday, I found out that--through no fault of our own--the visa paperwork was bungled and we can't go.

I was extremely disappointed and frustrated, to the point of having DH look for another fabulous conference to attend. :lol: But then, it finally dawned on me last night that perhaps, for some reason unknown to us, God didn't want us to go. After reading your testimony, it is clearer to me than ever that we just need to seek God's will on this instead of seeking to have our own "will be done."

Lissa0821

Thanks so much for sharing, I am presently dealing with my car situation so I can relate. Part of me felt like I am doing different things to change it but I felt so clouded on what God wanted me to do. Before coming into this thread I thought to myself, I need to play some praise and worship music and take some time to thank God for working it out.

Thanks again, you have encouraged me.

delitefulmane

Thank you for this message, loolalooh. If only life came in color coded messages when our flesh is getting in the way of God's will, things would be much simpler! :rolleyes: