Get Rid of The Word "Soul Mate"...

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Okay, here I go with another Revelation, but I can always back it up with the word of God. ;) I'm fighting for something, Angels...'us.'

Far too long the term 'Soul Mate' has never sat well with me. We've used and have heard this term far too much and it has no effect on a solid and pure relationship. The word soul applies to the 'flesh'. When we are praying and asking God for a 'soulmate' we are asking Him for a 'Flesh Mate'...and WHAT DOES GOD SAY TO US ABOUT THE FLESH...????? It's always out to destroy us AND it dies.

God hears and responds to His word without fail. No where in His word does He have nor does He refer to the word 'Soul Mate'...the WORLD came up with that term. Not God. :nono:

We have got to get ahold of something. Our prayers are real and effective and you will GET what you pray for. If you pray for the flesh you will reap the flesh in a mate. Get rid of that term from your heart and your vocabulary. For it is not the soul or the flesh which stabilizes marriage... instead it is The Heart.

Yes, I know that as husband and wife, we become one and Adam did say, 'She is now bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh..." and God does say, that the two shall become one flesh." But something has attached itself to our souls...the sins and the influences of the world. Everyday our souls...our flesh is being pulled 'to and fro' to the delights and dainties of this world. We're caught up in the flesh which separates us from one another. Be it work, play, sin, other relationships, the list is endless.

Something deeper has to take place....that our hearts be one.

When something or someone has been rooted, engrafted into our hearts it cannot be uprooted. It is fixed. It is established. It is forever and it cannot be changed.

All through the Word of God, you will see Him mention the 'Heart of Man'... that "...our Hearts be knitted together in love." "...a new heart will He give us." "God looks upon the heart." "...a broken spirit and a contrite heart is what the Lord desires of me." "If you believe in your heart...that Jesus is the Son of God..." "The Heart"....

There's something about the heart that God sets more esteem upon. The soul has its role, but the heart of man is the guide to his Destiny.

Get rid of the term "Soul Mate". It no longer applies. It never did. These words are 'blocking' what you are really seeking...a loving marriage from the heart. Anyone or anything can be mated to ones soul. And there will always be a tug of war upon the flesh. But little can be truly embedded in ones heart. Once you have it...Dear Lord, once you have a person's heart...that's it...it's a sealed Covenant...forever. :yep:

Lord I thank you for the 'heart' of my husband or if a male is praying, "Lord, I thank you for the heart of my wife." Once you have the heart, all esle will follow that comprises us.

This is the answer to deliverance in all areas of our lives. One of our members, 'our brother 'Black Man With Some Sense', mentioned 'good intentions. Well that's what we get or give when the 'heart' is absent...good intentions. But the heart will follow through completely and stand firm in any fight or challenge of the flesh.

The Heart is the Key and the answer. Within the 'heart' is one's life.

You know I had to share this. Love me still? :lol:

Last edited:

*ElleB

What is the difference between one's heart and ones soul. I always took them to be almost the same? Never did I equate "soul" with flesh...Can you explain...

**Tasha*Love**

Shimmie I am a little lost on this one. I understand everything that you have stated about the heart but I am still confused :confused: Our true essence is based on our souls. So what is wrong with making a "soul connection"?

Last edited:

ritzbitz78

I hear you Shimmie,

I think the definition and connotation of "soulmate" needs to be addressed in this day and age.

Before your post, I never even had a clue that soulmate referred to flesh, I didn't define as a fleshmate. And I know God understood my defination and works with me accordingly. But now I stand corrected :)

Here is another aspect. Soulmates are not found, they are made... Meaning, that people think they can find someone who instantly is a soul mate. But they are made through prayer, communication, experience, sacrifice, selflessness.

When we first learn of God, we are not instantly His soulmate, because we don't know Him, yet... Though He has chosen us and is the best Soulmate to have.

My main point is that "soulmate" is a deliberate choice you allow someone to become after you know them and they know you...

cocoberry10

Shimmie and Ladies:

I think I understand both sides. I personally do not use the term soul mates, nor do I personally "believe" in the traditional definition/view of soul mates. I believe a "soul mate" relationship is created through two peoples' relationship with God, a strong faith, commitment, love and SACRIFICE. I feel like a lot of people in our generation and time have convinced themselves that there is one person out there for them that is their soul mate, and then when they get married reality sets in, and they fear they didn't pick their soul mate. I feel this is a large cause of divorce and other marital problems.

When we want a promotion or raise, we work hard and/or ask for one. When we want to go to school, we study, take the entrance exam and work hard to successfully complete our degree. However, we think that God is just going to hand us a soul mate, and that like two pieces of a jigsaw puzzle, it's just going to fit with no complications?? That's not realistic. More important, I think it prevents us from really seeing and appreciating another human being and building a life together.

Here is a great article on the topic.

http://www.boundless.org/2005/articles/a0001156.cfm

**Tasha*Love**

Cocoberry I agree with you 100%. Just to clarify - I don't believe in finding a soulmate, when I was younger I used this term alot. I think if I went looking for a "soulmate" I would probably be alone for a long time. Today is a new day and I have had time to think over the message. I think I have it now ;)
cocoberry10 said:
Shimmie and Ladies:

I think I understand both sides. I personally do not use the term soul mates, nor do I personally "believe" in the traditional definition/view of soul mates. I believe a "soul mate" relationship is created through two peoples' relationship with God, a strong faith, commitment, love and SACRIFICE. I feel like a lot of people in our generation and time have convinced themselves that there is one person out there for them that is their soul mate, and then when they get married reality sets in, and they fear they didn't pick their soul mate. I feel this is a large cause of divorce and other marital problems.

When we want a promotion or raise, we work hard and/or ask for one. When we want to go to school, we study, take the entrance exam and work hard to successfully complete our degree. However, we think that God is just going to hand us a soul mate, and that like two pieces of a jigsaw puzzle, it's just going to fit with no complications?? That's not realistic. More important, I think it prevents us from really seeing and appreciating another human being and building a life together.

Shimmie

Staff member
Ladies, I'm here... I didn't abandon the thread. I saw the questions above.

*** Cocoberry you hit it right on the money.

And your article explains much of what the Lord has been placing into my heart. Each time the term 'Soul Mate' is mentioned, a strong rebuke comes into my spirit. The only one that should be termed mated to our souls is the Lord Jesus Christ, the one who paid the price for it. Our souls do not belong to each other, they belong to God. We have to be careful of what we speak of our lives.

We get too 'hung up' on terms and ideologies about relationships. And the enemy is using this hard against us. There is truly no such thing as a soul mate in human form, there never was. There is nothing scriptural about it.

What does exist is when our hearts become one, the two people will become the one, that God has so intended.

There's something about the soul being 'unguarded' when it is mated to something/someone other than the Lord Jesus Christ.

I want to read more of Cocoberry's article and I also want to share some scripture that is in my heart.

pebbles

cocoberry10 said:
Shimmie and Ladies:

Great point! :)

pebbles

Shimmie said:
Ladies, I'm here... I didn't abandon the thread. I saw the questions above.

*** Cocoberry you hit it right on the money.

And your article explains much of what the Lord has been placing into my heart. Each time the term 'Soul Mate' is mentioned, a strong rebuke comes into my spirit. The only one that should be termed mated to our souls is the Lord Jesus Christ, the one who paid the price for it. Our souls do not belong to each other, they belong to God. We have to be careful of what we speak of our lives.

We get too 'hung up' on terms and ideologies about relationships. And the enemy is using this hard against us. There is truly no such thing as a soul mate in human form, there never was. There is nothing scriptural about it.

What does exist is when our hearts become one, the two people will become the one, that God has so intended.

There's something about the soul being 'unguarded' when it is mated to something/someone other than the Lord Jesus Christ.

I want to read more of Cocoberry's article and I also want to share some scripture that is in my heart.

The bolded parts really hit me. It's not a word I usually use, but I'll be more mindful not to use it from now on. Thank-you! :Rose:

Shimmie

Staff member
pebbles said:
The bolded parts really hit me. It's not a word I usually use, but I'll be more mindful not to use it from now on. Thank-you! :Rose:

I want to make sure that I have not caused anyone to feel badly about this topic. I don't know it all. I never will. I can only go by what God puts into my heart and then share it and learn from others in our faith.

This issue has been riding upon my heart for awhile. And when I read all of the grief and saddness in the thread about the movie 'SoulMate', it just grieved me more. We're looking and praying for the wrong thing. If something does not truly exist, how can God act upon it for us?

Even if someone has prayed for a SoulMate and has been blessed with a husband/wife, it still doesn't make the term right.

I'm just going to spell it out...There's something about the term 'Soul Mate' that is attached to demonic activity. For this is what the enemy is after...one's soul. Wherever one's soul is addressed spiritually, it is under one of two influences, satan's or God's. And unless a 'Soul' is mated to the Lord Jesus Christ, there is no safety for it from the enemy.

I need to pray this out, for it's in my spirit very, very strong, but I don't feel that it is being communicated clearly. I apologize for this. :sad: I love each of you here and I do not want to be misleading or confusing.

I'll share this. So much heartache and dissappointment is attached to the term Soul Mate for one never stops searching for the one whom they think fits this terminology. It's an unending quest for it is a quest for what does not exist.

Check out the difference between the heart and soul...

God never delivers, saves and redeems our heart, He always gives us a totally new clean one-a heart to know Him.

(Psalm 51 is a perfect example when David repented of his sins regarding Bathsheba and killing her husband).

In like manner, He never gives us a new soul, He delivers, saves and redeems our old one.

Look how this connects to Cocoberry's post and the article she shared and with God's word. The heart can always be renewed therefore enabling a couple to 'work' at their relationship to make it succeed.

The Soul on the other hand is never renewed...only saved in it's present state and therefore, "what you see is what you get..." the soul cannot be changed.

We need something beyond a 'Soul Mate', especially if our souls are alike, we need a heart open to the heart of God our Father which overrides the soul and it's constant state of sin. Especially in this world today with nothing but one temptation after another and with God's word being rendered untrue by those who are blinded and choose to stay in sin.

It's coming together, Angels. I'm praying this out.

Don't let this hinder you...no one is under condemnation or judgement; neither am I claiming to be in the 'know'. I'm just sharing a strong conviction that has been in my heart about this term 'Soul Mate' for a long, long, time.

My love to all and thank you for letting me get this off my chest. Please open up and share you hearts. For this is for each of us to open up learn from each other. No arguements from me, at all. I'm open to what's on your hearts about this...

:kiss: 's....;)

Last edited:

star

We are made up of mind, body, spirit and soul. If you attend Bible schools and seminaries they can give you all the scriptures throughout the Bible and break down the make up of what words mean especially in the New Testament. There is nothing wrong with the term soul mate if it refers to someone God gave you. If God gives you someone they are able to touch you in many ways through the body, the spirit, and the soul. It might be helpful to look at spirit it which something is being used if it is not tied up with Jesus then it has no substance. The word in itself is not wrong but because so many people use it without not understanding what it means in the spiritual sense that it has turn for some into an ugly term. I do not see any term used with the spirit of God a bad term. The bottom line is no matter what term used its foundation needs to be from God because if that person is not from God it does not matter what term or scripture you quote it will not change the fact that the person is not from God. Terms should not make us bitter but better if they are grounded and rooted in Jesus.

Normally, I do not respond to some things people say because I feel everyone is entitled to free speech and since I know alot people from many cultures I have learned to be sensitive to the spirit and context(words) the people say because different words mean different things to different people. I rather spend my time focusing more on the importance of subject than the terms used because you can loss focus and blessings tying up your time with things that really do not make or break the real purpose. In other words things and words should be taken in spirit in which it is intended otherwise you can spend 40 years in the wilderness going around the same mountain and accomplish nothing.

I have something from an article from seminary that breaks down the info on how humans are made up of mind, body, spirit and soul when I find it I will post. Ok, got to go spent too much time on this. God bless!!

Last edited:

Shimmie

Staff member
Star, I hear you ... I really do hear you :kiss: Without dissagreement nor any disrepect to you or anyone, I just have to release this burden.

With all of our teachings in Bible Study, Bible College, Seminary, there is something that the Lord is opening up to us. It's been a long-time burden for me to share. This term 'soulmate' has become more than a 'term' to so many. It has become a 'mantra' and has literally destroyed and devasted the lives of those searching and praying for what does not exist. :sad:

While souls can be touched, they cannot be mated in the sense of love and marriage. Only redeemed by Jesus. For the soul does not have a heart; it cannot be changed which is why it needs redemption.

When you think about it, marriage is an institution ordained by God. In many cultures, it is done out of 'order', not desire (arranged marriages). In our country alone, marriage is not a matter of the soul. Souls are cohabitating without marriage; for the soul is of sin; rebellion against God.

It's the heart which leads a couple to marry willingly without force or reluctance. It's an open heart to the Lord for whatever change necessary, which keeps one together.

Someone needs this. Someone who has been crying and praying and wondering if they will ever have a 'soulmate'. When all they have to ask for is their husband (or wife) with the heart to love them...always. ;)

Yes, they will be one flesh, and their souls will be touched, but their hearts will grow and change with each season of life, forever being one. For that's what hearts do, open to change...growing in love. The Lord directs the heart, overriding the soul.

"And I will give them an Heart to know me, that I am the LORD: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God: for they shall return unto me with their whole heart." (Jeremiah 24:7)

"And the Lord direct your Hearts into the love of God, and into the patient waiting for Christ." (2 Thess 3:5)

In sharing this, I lay no claim to knowledge above anyone. I'm sharing what's been in my heart. I'm in prayer for I'm not God. All who read this stay in prayer and see how the Lord leads you. Always be blessed. ;)

If I have offended or shown disrespect to anyone, I ask forgiveness and I DO humbly apologize, with all of my heart.

pebbles

Shimmie said:

In sharing this, I lay no claim to knowledge above anyone. I'm sharing what's been in my heart. I'm in prayer for I'm not God. All who read this stay in prayer and see how the Lord leads you. Always be blessed. ;)

If I have offended or shown disrespect to anyone, I ask forgiveness and I DO humbly apologize, with all of my heart.

We understand, Shimmie. :) No worries! I don't think anyone will feel disrespected. This is all to the glory of God! Praise Him! :rosebud:

pebbles

I think in the end, this is one of those things that will come down to being a personal judgement call. :)

The bible doesn't tell us not to use the word soulmate. In Solomon 3:2-4, the woman speaking says: I will rise now, and go about the city in the streets, and in the broad ways I will seek him whom my soul loveth: I sought him, but I found him not. The watchmen that go about the city found me: to whom I said, Saw ye him whom my soul loveth? It was but a little that I passed from them, but I found him whom my soul loveth: I held him, and would not let him go, until I had brought him into my mother's house, and into the chamber of her that conceived me.

So you can see where there are those who won't find anything wrong with the term. By the way, this is the King James version. I think in the NIV, the word soul is changed to heart. :)

Yet, we have to consider the power of the spoken word. There's no question that we have to guard our hearts and our spirits, and we have to make a serious attempt to watch what we verbally attach to our souls. Look how many times in the bible God speaks of the power of the tongue.

"A man's stomach shall be satisfied from the fruit of his mouth, and from the produce of his lips he shall be filled." (Proverbs 18:20)

Further still:

"Whoever guards his mouth and tongue keeps his soul from troubles."
(Proverbs 21:23)

And there are at least 14 other times in the bible that I can think of when we're warned to watch over our words. "Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips." (Psalm 141:3) I've known people who've been married for almost 20 years, only to realize that they didn't really know their spouse, and the things they were capable of. And for that reason, one can understand why the need to have our souls tied to Jesus and Jesus alone would be so strong. You cannot put 100% faith in any man. That can be dangerous and destructive.

The ultimate goal, sisters, is for us to pray over the word and what God reveals to each of us about it. My experience says that God will ultimately bring us all to the same conclusion, whether today, or tomorrow, or in 10 weeks or 10 years. He will make it known to all of us the same way.

One of the most beautiful things is to show the world how Christians handle disagreements that may rise up among us! We are never out of control, willing to hear the other side, and always with the grace and the love of Jesus present between us. My hats off to you all! Be blessed, sisters! :rosebud:

pebbles

Also, sisters: Please feel free to correct me if and when I'm wrong about something! I don't know everything, and I'm more than willing to be corrected about something that I said that's wrong. I take correction very well! :lol: I'm not above anybody. I need to be taught, just like everyone else. Love you guys! :kiss:

Shimmie

Staff member
pebbles said:
I think in the end, this is one of those things that will come down to being a personal judgement call. :)

The bible doesn't tell us not to use the word soulmate. In Solomon 3:2-4, the woman speaking says: I will rise now, and go about the city in the streets, and in the broad ways I will seek him whom my soul loveth: I sought him, but I found him not. The watchmen that go about the city found me: to whom I said, Saw ye him whom my soul loveth? It was but a little that I passed from them, but I found him whom my soul loveth: I held him, and would not let him go, until I had brought him into my mother's house, and into the chamber of her that conceived me.

So you can see where there are those who won't find anything wrong with the term. By the way, this is the King James version. I think in the NIV, the word soul is changed to heart. :)

Yet, we have to consider the power of the spoken word. There's no question that we have to guard our hearts and our spirits, and we have to make a serious attempt to watch what we verbally attach to our souls. Look how many times in the bible God speaks of the power of the tongue.

"A man's stomach shall be satisfied from the fruit of his mouth, and from the produce of his lips he shall be filled." (Proverbs 18:20)

Further still:

"Whoever guards his mouth and tongue keeps his soul from troubles."
(Proverbs 21:23)

And there are at least 14 other times in the bible that I can think of when we're warned to watch over our words. "Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips." (Psalm 141:3) I've known people who've been married for almost 20 years, only to realize that they didn't really know their spouse, and the things they were capable of. And for that reason, one can understand why the need to have our souls tied to Jesus and Jesus alone would be so strong. You cannot put 100% faith in any man. That can be dangerous and destructive.

The ultimate goal, sisters, is for us to pray over the word and what God reveals to each of us about it. My experience says that God will ultimately bring us all to the same conclusion, whether today, or tomorrow, or in 10 weeks or 10 years. He will make it known to all of us the same way.

One of the most beautiful things is to show the world how Christians handle disagreements that may rise up among us! We are never out of control, willing to hear the other side, and always with the grace and the love of Jesus present between us. My hats off to you all! Be blessed, sisters! :rosebud:

You put this so beautifully. All of it... :yep:

To God be the Glory...!