Forget The Frock? I Don't Think So

Galadriel

Maybe I'm just being a grump this morning, but...

apparently #ForgetTheFrock is trending in social media. It's all about purchasing and wearing these lame t-shirts and wearing them to church on Easter Sunday instead of dressing up. It's supposed to garner more awareness for global poverty.

I honestly think #ForgetTheFrock is lame. First, because (newsflash) we can still care about and help alleviate the ills of hunger and poverty while wearing dresses and suits for church, and secondly, we dress nice for church because we are going to God's House--we are presenting ourselves before the King.

If someone wants to wear a t-shirt or dress more simply and go to church, then more power to him, but please spare us the argument that you're doing something revolutionary or morally superior because of it. The Church has always been the largest and most far-reaching charitable institution in the world, we were the ones who founded hospitals and schools in the Western world. Our immense ability to quickly mobilize, organize, and help get things done is unrivaled. So, yes, the followers of Christ are very aware of poverty in the world. But even more so, we are also aware of the spiritual poverty that's sapping our societies of their very life.

If you (general you) don't understand why men wear suits to church and women wear dresses/non-casual clothing, then maybe educate yourself and find out why. Understand that when we celebrate Jesus's resurrection, we are celebrating a victory, a great moment that forever changed the course of human history, and so when we go to church and present ourselves to the King of Heaven, hey, it's okay to set aside the flip flops and t-shirts.

What we wear can have meaning, they make statements.

Just as your job may require you to wear a uniform or a suit because it says something about your occupation and the company you represent, so how we present ourselves before God also says something about us. I would not wear flip flops to church, or "clubbing" clothes, or my yoga pants. I understand some people are limited with clothing choices because of finances, body changes (pregnancy, weight gain/loss, etc.), and I'm not talking about them. What I suppose irks me is that what #ForgetTheFrock is REALLY seeming to say is that we shouldn't dress up and treat the Sunday we celebrate Jesus' resurrection as important because...it's not important.

Maybe FTF can target the Oscars next year and have the actors and actresses wear the t-shirts instead. If we can dress up for things like parties, events, dinners, graduations, etc. then why not church? Especially on the most sacred holiday in Christianity where we're supposed to be festive and joyful?

It is nice to dress well for church. Many people do. I do. I feel it is only right. There are a few people who take it too far and cannot be caught dead wearing the same thing to church. I agree with looking nice and if you have to repeat an outfit but if it looks nice that's fine too.

Last edited:
http://www.religionnews.com/2016/03/28/forget-the-frock-easter/

(RNS) There were plenty of frilly dresses, bonnets, suits and pastel bow ties at Easter Sunday services.

But if you saw a T-shirt or two, you can thank Forget the Frock.

The grass-roots movement asked Christians to forgo fancy new Easter clothes and instead buy a shirt from a nonprofit organization that will use the proceeds to support charities such as Feeding the Orphans, Eyes that See and Pink Door.

Participants made #ForgetTheFrock a trending topic on Facebook Monday (March 28) as they posted photos of their families and congregations wearing T-shirts to church on social media. Others weighed in on the appropriateness of casual attire on the church’s holiest day.

The movement got its start five years ago when co-founder Emily Fox’s best friend decided to adopt an orphan from Ethiopia. Fox’s eyes were opened to the needs of orphans worldwide, according to Forget the Frock’s website. That year, she dressed her family in T-shirts from Feeding The Orphans. The money from that purchase helps care for orphans and families in West Africa.

Since then, Forget the Frock has helped raise nearly $500,000 for orphan care, the website said.

(Emily McFarlan Miller is a national reporter for RNS)

I went searching for the article as I'd never heard of it. After reading it, I think their focus is to shift from our heavily materialistic society and from self-preservation towards being our brothers' keepers. The church has always helped but in an age when we aren't supporting our churches as much as we should, there is a call to shift individual responsibilities. I comprehend their message. In some church cultures, people spend a lot of money to look good on Easter. Maybe this is a call to counter that and ask, "where is your heart?" Giving to orphans is always a good thing. True worship of G-d is:

John 4:23
Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks.

Philippians 3:3
For it is we who are the circumcision, we who serve God by his Spirit, who boast in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh--

I think they are drawing attention to this fact. No, there's nothing wrong with dressing up for church. Beyond our clothing, we dress our hearts and our actions (charity) show our love. Maybe this movement is meant to wake people up?

Last edited:
We do tend to be elegantly dressed. I heard a preacher say today that Nigeria is a dangerous place to name the name of Jesus. Identifying with Christianity is getting people murdered. Children are being burned alive by unholy groups. Our brethren are suffering violence and martyrdom for their beliefs . what priorities do we have for the hungry, poor, homeless and those with nothing. We focus on beautiful clothes and think it exhibits God's best.

So, being well-dressed for church and charitable giving cannot go together? I haven't read the article, but I bet the movement was started by secular folks. Why are they targeting the Church ("TheFrock") when it could have been a more global movement? How about #ForgetTheLouboutins? #ForgetTheHermes?
I agree that Christians aren't helping the poor as much as we ought to but I doubt it's because we're out buying fancy shoes and clothing. Most folks wear nice (which does not always mean frivolously expensive) but modest clothing, and rotate items from their wardrobe. It's out of respect for God, not to show off.
I come from a third world country and growing up we also wore our Sunday's best to church. Should people in developed countries wear t-shirts as well?
It's annoying when hipster secular movements think a t-shirt can solve all of the world's woes!
Please wake me up when these same people start a #ForgetTheSmartphone #ForgetNetflix #ForgetHappyHour #ForgetBottomlessMimosas...etc

Totally agree.
We do tend to be elegantly dressed. I heard a preacher say today that Nigeria is a dangerous place to name the name of Jesus. Identifying with Christianity is getting people murdered. Children are being burned alive by unholy groups. Our brethren are suffering violence and martyrdom for their beliefs . what priorities do we have for the hungry, poor, homeless and those with nothing. We focus on beautiful clothes and think it exhibits God's best.
Totally agree. Matter of the heart.

My rant is not addressed at you @felic1 I'm just so disgusted by the secular Western hipsters who think the Church is the incarnation of everything wrong with the world and theur stupid t-shirts can fix Africans and other developing places!

I side-eye the motives of this movement, especially given that they are targeting the Holy Week.
Typical stupid millennial stunt (I'm a millennial and I'm surrounded by the bratty ilk that likely started the movement)! All attention and fluff. They've raised $500K? How awesome! Do they want to know how much my tiny little church of young couples with children has contributed to improving the wellbeing of people abroad?

My paternal aunt who led me to Christ as a child has been a lifelong missionary. Never married. Has devoted her life to God's work. She has been to those towns in Nigeria and other Muslim African countries teaching children the gospel. She has suffered the brunt of Muslim attacks several times. Yet she keeps going back. Guess what? In her picture with her precious children in the classroom, she is dressed modestly and nicely. Should she stop taking baths and only wear t-shirts she purchased from these morons to show how Christian she is?
Please miss me with the BS!
*steps off the soapbox*

ETA: "movement" leader is a Christian...millennial's love for the t-shirt fix still applies.

Last edited:
I just looked up the website, and the "movement" leader is a Christian woman. She felt convicted by the bows, bunnies, silly hats, Easter eggs...Hmmmm What exactly does wearing a suit or dress to church have to do with the commercialization of Easter? That's what she should be "attacking."

IMO, this "movement" is similar Judas in John 12 asking why the perfume Mary used to anoint Jesus' feet wasn't sold instead to help the poor.
Sunday IS the Lord's Day...Easter even more so is when we celebrate His triumph over death! The campaign to turn Easter into another "walk the dog in the park" day is revolting...
Please, this lady obviously has boundless amounts of zeal...let her attack the gross monetization of religious holidays! Even I would buy a good for that "movement"!

Last edited:
So, being well-dressed for church and charitable giving cannot go together? I haven't read the article, but I bet the movement was started by secular folks. Why are they targeting the Church ("TheFrock") when it could have been a more global movement? How about #ForgetTheLouboutins? #ForgetTheHermes?
I agree that Christians aren't helping the poor as much as we ought to but I doubt it's because we're out buying fancy shoes and clothing. Most folks wear nice (which does not always mean frivolously expensive) but modest clothing, and rotate items from their wardrobe. It's out of respect for God, not to show off.
I come from a third world country and growing up we also wore our Sunday's best to church. Should people in developed countries wear t-shirts as well?
It's annoying when hipster secular movements think a t-shirt can solve all of the world's woes!
Please wake me up when these same people start a #ForgetTheSmartphone #ForgetNetflix #ForgetHappyHour #ForgetBottomlessMimosas...etc

Please read the article. Before I converted, I was witness to sheer nonsensical displays of Easter and other overkill every holiday or plain Sundays where people absolutely looked down on people or competed with each other over dress. People would spend exorbitant amounts of money esp. on Easter. We're a very materialistic society. I'm not sure you are relating your experiences in your home country with what many of us have come to know here. No one is saying that dressing well is wrong or misguided. They are simply asking about the focus on such.

That's a great point but I don't see why there is even a movement. For some church folk that I know, how they choose to dress is more about their self-respect and dignity. Plus, it's natural for some of us to dress well with little or no effort.

Now, to be bound by our garments is another story. For example: If I think " if I'm not dressed up for service, I can't really worship" OR it can be taken to the other side of the pendulum, with someone believing they have to wear a baseball cap on their head backwards and baggy jeans, to prove a point about rendering their heart, not the garment. In both scenarios, the focus is on the clothes. I wouldn't assume it by just looking at how someone dresses.

Proverbs 31 teaches us that strength and dignity are our clothing...that same dignity could exude in our outward appearance, though not necessarily as "proof" of a good heart. I believe we should always be in a 'constant state of worship' anyway; so it's not about dressing up for Sunday TO worship because the service is about fellowship with other believers.

I will say, Christian or not, there is a dress code most of us will adhere to --- if we want a job.

Please read the article. Before I converted, I was witness to sheer nonsensical displays of Easter and other overkill every holiday or plain Sundays where people absolutely looked down on people or competed with each other over dress. People would spend exorbitant amounts of money esp. on Easter. We're a very materialistic society. I'm not sure you are relating your experiences in your home country with what many of us have come to know here. No one is saying that dressing well is wrong or misguided. They are simply asking about the focus on such.
I must say my first two posts were really reactionary! This story checked all the boxes for stuff that secular folks usually spout out: Hungry African orphans (all sunken eyes and big bellies); Buy t-shirts, save the world; Christians are the problem; Feed an African orphan, feel good about yourself; *sigh* Africans are tired of the White/Westerner savior thing...
I then went to the website, saw the lady was Christian, read her story (hence my third post), and while I can understand a fellow Christian's conviction to turn away from Easter frivolity, I still don't believe that desecrating the holiday is worth it. I've been in the US for 13 years, including one with a baby girl...I don't see the frivolity she is talking about at the churches I have frequented. African are usually good dressers (Folks even to this day tell me I dress really well to go to school). Not expensive. Just don't show up everywhere in jeans. My daughter is naturally dressed really well for church every week because of the lifetime tradition of bringing out your best to go worship God. Not because he only accepts perfect people/folks that look good on the outside, but as an act of reverence. It does not matter if the dress or the suit is old...that extra ironing wrinkle and the formality of it all does not cost extra money. It is the respect of being in God's house. So on Sunday, my daughter wore a dress picked from among her normal dresses. I did not purchase an Easter dress. Likewise, the other girls at my church looked very normal.

I think this lady might be extrapolating from her "southern belle" experience. It's amazing that God has put on her heart to stop spending frivolously for Easter attire. At the same time, I still think it's disrespectful to have a #ForgetTheFrock movement for Easter Sunday...Consumerism is the problem...Not the formal attire people wear to church.

That's a great point but I don't see why there is even a movement. For some church folk that I know, how they choose to dress is more about their self-respect and dignity. Plus, it's natural for some of us to dress well with little or no effort.

Now, to be bound by our garments is another story. For example: If I think " if I'm not dressed up for service, I can't really worship" OR it can be taken to the other side of the pendulum, with someone believing they have to wear a baseball cap on their head backwards and baggy jeans, to prove a point about rendering their heart, not the garment. In both scenarios, the focus is on the clothes. I wouldn't assume it by just looking at how someone dresses.

Proverbs 31 teaches us that strength and dignity are our clothing...that same dignity could exude in our outward appearance, though not necessarily as "proof" of a good heart. I believe we should always be in a 'constant state of worship' anyway; so it's not about dressing up for Sunday TO worship because the service is about fellowship with other believers.

I will say, Christian or not, there is a dress code most of us will adhere to --- if we want a job.

Great analogy! I was bothered by the tag that said something about the lines of forgetting the tradition...:badidea: I cringe when I read stuff about letting go of traditions that are meant to honor God. Sure, human motives and selfish desires have seeped into things and some folks view church as their fashion runway with all kinds of excessiveness...That is what should be denounced. It should not be an all encompassing #ForgetTheFrock movement that makes wearing a t-shirt to Easter service a statement. That is the other extreme you are talking about. You go from having the focus on God to making a fashion statement about how unfocused you are on your attire.:(

I must say my first two posts were really reactionary! This story checked all the boxes for stuff that secular folks usually spout out: Hungry African orphans (all sunken eyes and big bellies); Buy t-shirts, save the world; Christians are the problem; Feed an African orphan, feel good about yourself; *sigh* Africans are tired of the White/Westerner savior thing...
I then went to the website, saw the lady was Christian, read her story (hence my third post), and while I can understand a fellow Christian's conviction to turn away from Easter frivolity, I still don't believe that desecrating the holiday is worth it. I've been in the US for 13 years, including one with a baby girl...I don't see the frivolity she is talking about at the churches I have frequented. African are usually good dressers (Folks even to this day tell me I dress really well to go to school). Not expensive. Just don't show up everywhere in jeans. My daughter is naturally dressed really well for church every week because of the lifetime tradition of bringing out your best to go worship God. Not because he only accepts perfect people/folks that look good on the outside, but as an act of reverence. It does not matter if the dress or the suit is old...that extra ironing wrinkle and the formality of it all does not cost extra money. It is the respect of being in God's house. So on Sunday, my daughter wore a dress picked from among her normal dresses. I did not purchase an Easter dress. Likewise, the other girls at my church looked very normal.

I think this lady might be extrapolating from her "southern belle" experience. It's amazing that God has put on her heart to stop spending frivolously for Easter attire. At the same time, I still think it's disrespectful to have a #ForgetTheFrock movement for Easter Sunday...Consumerism is the problem...Not the formal attire people wear to church.

I know, I get that. But it's real. In my parish, we jean-it (we're multicultural). Most people are casual. Some are not. We don't stress attire at all. You come as you are. But I have definitely witnessed from a lifetime being American how much people can lend too much attention to dress. You wouldn't think so since we've become a very casual people lol. Her movement is just a "movement." Maybe it's aimed at places where there is actual abuse. But it's the same, actually...the consumerism to the extreme of putting way more emphasis on what you wear. It truly does exist in this country. I've heard things that would make the hair on your neck stand stiff lol. For example, overhearing a pastor's daughter putting down someone else's Easter dress and talking endlessly about how much their family spent on hair, makeup, dress etc. There's worse lol. How many Chreasters show up once or twice a year, decked out, parade down in front of others on display, wanting the best seats in the sanctuary? Those are the abuses. There can be absolute outrageous nonsense going on.

Incidentally, we catholics occasionally hear others talk down the "frocks" or vestments of our priests up to the Pope. They do have meaning, just like someone wanting to dress his best for the special day. You do dress nice for your infant baptisms, conversion, confirmations etc. But in the same, depending upon a person's experiences, not going what they consider overboard has similar meaning. The body has many parts and they all make up one organism.

Last edited:
I went searching for the article as I'd never heard of it. After reading it, I think their focus is to shift from our heavily materialistic society and from self-preservation towards being our brothers' keepers. The church has always helped but in an age when we aren't supporting our churches as much as we should, there is a call to shift individual responsibilities. I comprehend their message. In some church cultures, people spend a lot of money to look good on Easter. Maybe this is a call to counter that and ask, "where is your heart?" Giving to orphans is always a good thing. True worship of G-d is:

John 4:23
Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks.

Philippians 3:3
For it is we who are the circumcision, we who serve God by his Spirit, who boast in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh--

I think they are drawing attention to this fact. No, there's nothing wrong with dressing up for church. Beyond our clothing, we dress our hearts and our actions (charity) show our love. Maybe this movement is meant to wake people up?

I dress with a lot of simplicity myself (let's face it, it's a miracle if I manage to brush my hair in the morning after getting the kiddos ready, :lachen:). So my argument isn't against the idea of avoiding materialism, but why did FTF focus just on Christianity, and on Easter Sunday (our most celebrated feast day)? The message of anti-materialism would do wonders toward celebrities who don $35,000 dresses for a superficial event, no? And why must dressing nice for church be mutually exclusive from aiding the the impoverished? It seems more a publicity stunt for this woman to sell her t-shirts (with a good dose of self righteousness).

You are far more gracious than I am @kanozas :kiss: because the campaign just rubbed me the wrong way.

I dress with a lot of simplicity myself (let's face it, it's a miracle if I manage to brush my hair in the morning after getting the kiddos ready, :lachen:). So my argument isn't against the idea of avoiding materialism, but why did FTF focus just on Christianity, and on Easter Sunday (our most celebrated feast day)? The message of anti-materialism would do wonders toward celebrities who don $35,000 dresses for a superficial event, no? And why must dressing nice for church be mutually exclusive from aiding the the impoverished? It seems more a publicity stunt for this woman to sell her t-shirts (with a good dose of self righteousness).

You are far more gracious than I am @kanozas :kiss: because the campaign just rubbed me the wrong way.

LOL. It's all by experience. Man, I've had some bad ones.

Back