For those with thinning napes/edges- little long

melodee

I read some of the thread on thickening up the hairline, and I was very interested in this.

You see, I have struggled with thinning at my hairline and my nape for several years, since having my last child. I don't notice a tremendous amount of hair being shed, although I shed alot anyway. But I have very thin and even bald areas at the nape and the hairline often gets little spots that look thin.

I have had scalp dematitis on and off for years. Currently, I have severely dry patches and a little scab (not the whole scalp) where the loss is. My derm told me that he sees fine hairs growing and that the follicles are not damaged--good news I guess. But it seems that every winter one part of my nape gets pretty much bald, at least to me.

What can cause it? Hormonal imbalance. I don't think I'm lacking progestin because I've tried the creams and received no benefits. I also have a regular, albeit very shot period. My gyn won't test me for hormone imbalance for this reason. I may have low estrogen, as I have some other symptoms common to this. After my last kid, I had the Depo shot once and it tore me up. Could there be any long term effects, or is this nonsense?

I've been tested for anemia, thyroid, lupus, rhumetoid arthritis, and a myriad of other conditions--and thank God nothing abnormal has been found.

I have been wearing buns alot. But could this alone cause this thinning? Could the dermatitis be the only culprit? Anyone here test themselves for hormone imbalance with those test kits?

Is there anyone else here with any diagnosis for their thinning? What has helped you?

I really need help, cause the DR's aren't really helping so far.:perplexed

JustKiya

Urmm, personally - I would start by finding a new gyn - I'm sorry, but if I want a test done, and I'm paying for it - I expect my doctor to fill out the paperwork and get it done, not tell me that they aren't going to do it, cuz THEY don't think I need it - whatever, man.

Do you wear hats? You say your nape thins every winter - does it start after you start wearing a heavy coat (with a higher collar?) Have you tried any topical anti-fungal scalp treatments?

I don't know what else to tell you sis - I hope you find a solution...

dlewis

I wonder if it's the bunning? I see alot of dancers that bun and have very long hair but have a receding hairline.

I have notice over the past couple of years that my hairline is receding. I measured and it's receded by 1/8". And I use to waer alot of buns. I purchased Rogain for Women, Minoxidil 2% yesturday and I'm documenting my progress (hopefully) in my fotki.

I have had hormone test done because of lack of periods and they find nothing but I notice my mustache getting heavier and more hair on the chin. I wonder if it's hormones.

hot_pepper96

My edges began thinning when I began bunning alot to protect my ends. My ends are retained longer, but I have to baby my edges now.

dlewis

Also, I wonder if this type of thining run in families. My Grandmother has a receding hairline and my aunt's and mother's hair is thining.

scorpian

My edges are thin because of years of tight braids
The only time I had thinning in the nape was when my hair was relaxed
The stylist didn't rinse the nape well after t-ups and she didn't change the towel before shampooing so the hair in the nape was not neutralized well
Winter clothing can also cause thinning
scarves and coat collars and even blouses and sweaters made of certain materials
there was a time when I would take off my shirt and see broken hairs on the collar of turtlenecks and wool sweaters

Radianthealth

I believe there was a member who had been diagnosed with something that caused her hair to thin. She started getting cortizone shots I believe and this helped to correct the issue.

I think products like rogaine might help but you would have to use them consistently.

I had issues with my hairline which made me start the challenge. I believe mine was "traction alopecia" which is caused by tight braided styles. The tree braids tore up my hair line, but laying off of braids and tight styles and treating my hairline carefully really helped me.

Good Luck, maybe you could do a google search to find out some other types of remedies/treatments.:)

I just did a search and realized I have Eczema too, but it flares up every couple of years since I was a child. Some suggestions to help get rid of it are to keep it well moisturized especially in the winter and drink plenty of water to rid your body of toxins. Here is a link with tons of info on Dermatitis/Eczema

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dermatitis-eczema/DS00339/DSECTION=1

Last edited:

Radianthealth

Reading through the different types of dermatitis it sounds like you are describing this type:

Seborrheic dermatitis. You'll need to frequently shampoo, then carefully rinse your scalp. Your doctor may recommend a specific shampoo. Commonly used shampoos contain tar, zinc pyrithione, salicylic acid or ketoconazole as the active ingredient. Hydrocortisone creams and lotions may soothe your skin and relieve itching. You also may need treatment for a secondary infection

XXXtacy

Looking forward to more answers.

I have been using ORS serum & Jamaican Oil on my edges for a month or so. It seems thicker but I can't tell.

zailless

I had one bald spot which grew back. it was close to my hair line so when i got it, my hair line peeled off too. Now the bald spot is regrown, the hairliine is still just fuzz. I have gone through all tests with my doctor. he said i am in perfect condition. I went to a derm and she gave me cortizone cream. The cortizone cream helped me to get to the fuzz level but now i am trying different treatments to get the fuzz into full blown hair. I think my thinning came from burns from using products like mtg and surge. I am natural and had a full hairline all through. mtg burns my scalp till it turns silvery black. its so tight that it seems like the hair is not attached to any root. Then there were big flakes. i pulled out my cornrow one day to satisfy an itch. i saw a round penny sized bald spot and the area below the flakes red and thin. I also tried surge at a time when the edge was flourishing to try to make it grow faster and it burned and peeled off. so from october, i have maybe half inch fuzz on the right side of my hairline. so far, the product that got my fuzz to grow up is dr miracles. i used one jar and decided to switch nioxin system 6 and i lost some of the growth. thats how easy it is for me to lose the growth so i cant diagnose it. i will be going back to the dr miracles and will use the intensive healing oil with emu and some essential oils to. i saw that my scalp was burnt on new year's weekend. today my scalp is still tight and flaking. so i would say scalp issues, big issues. i thought of using minoxidil but i cant afford to lose the growth that i get each time so i will use natural products and see if i can get the hair to grow to even 2 inches of strong hair.

LynnieB

melodee...

do any of these thin spots have any itching, redness or soreness?

anything else unusual about those areas besides the thinning?

Have you ever tried WGO (wild growth oil) on your scalp (not a miracle growth product but there are a few very good ingredients in it like inositol, choline, magnesium and phosphorous.

you could try it if you haven't already.

melodee

LynnieB said:
melodee...

do any of these thin spots have any itching, redness or soreness?

anything else unusual about those areas besides the thinning?

Have you ever tried WGO (wild growth oil) on your scalp (not a miracle growth product but there are a few very good ingredients in it like inositol, choline, magnesium and phosphorous.

you could try it if you haven't already.

Lynnie, yes the nape has an tiny bump-likearea that becomes raised and itchy. Some of the other areas are dry looking.

I had excessive shedding/ hair fall many years ago and my favorite derm--a black man--gave me cortizone shots and cortecosteroids--it cleared that stuff up and grew my hair, and back then I wasn't into hair growth or hair care.

melodee

Thanks ladies, and keep the advice flowing.

I think many derms today are afraid of cortizone shots--because long term use can cause atrophy. But a few rounds won't hurt, many people get them in their legs/arms.

My fav derm is always booked months out--I have an appoint. for April?!?
In the meantime, I'll go to my other guy.

Dlewis, you may be right--hormones may be in play. I think most mainstream drs. overlook hormonal imbalances as the cause of many illnesses.

I am so far trying a combo of homeade sulfur oil,flucinolone steroid (Rx),monistat, and coconut oil to treat it. I will give this a while, and then try something new if it doesn't work.

LynnieB

melodee said:
Lynnie, yes the nape has an tiny bump-likearea that becomes raised and itchy. Some of the other areas are dry looking.

I had excessive shedding/ hair fall many years ago and my favorite derm--a black man--gave me cortizone shots and cortecosteroids--it cleared that stuff up and grew my hair, and back then I wasn't into hair growth or hair care.

like your follicles are clogged and infected/irritated?

you know......there's something i use when i shave certain areas prone to bumps, rashes and irritation that might help.

it's salicylic acid and you can get it in soap form from family dollar for about $3. it's actually an acne treatment but it does wonders for many other things also.

do a google search for dermatitis + salicylic acid and see what i mean ;)

wevwil

I had a bald spot at the nape area from turtle necks...I also have thinning of my front edges due to braids. I use Dr. Miracles and pure emu oil. The back nape (which was bald for years) has almost fully grown in. The edges I hope will have the same effect...I just took the braids out, so the edges are recovering from it now.

The other thing is that I noticed my hair and skin changed after having Depo shots. I swear that stuff is toxic. My hair used to be thick and very strong...after a year of depo it is now fine and fragile. Also I started growing major facial hair and I gained 30 pounds...I used to be a skinny stick before depo. This was my senior year in college. the next year after the depo my body just changed in a very negative way. I even had a huge lump in my breast that I just had to have removed...not saying its depo related, but who knows. I do know that depo shots were given to most women incorrectly (I'm in the pharma industry). Can we say lawsuit???