For Those Who Wear Buns...Bun Regime???

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I wanna start wearing a bun to help retain hair length. At first I didnt have success with it because I would put it in a wet bun and then try combing it out while it was damp. But this time, I just want to wear the bun out...

What is your Bun Regime??? Here's a few questions to help ya start off:

1. How often do u wear a bun during the week?

2. Do u re-do your bun each morning? If so, how often do u do this during the week? Also, do u change the position of your bun on your head?

3. How often do u wash: shampoo & conditioner wash?

4. Your real hair or fake hair or some other added accessory (e.g. donut bun)?

5. Do u comb, brush, use hands/fingers, or all three?

6. How often do u moisturize your hair?

I'm sure u guys get the idea
! Any other suggestions with your regime would be greatly appreciated.

KinksnCurlz

1. How often do u wear a bun during the week? 4 days a week. The other 3, I have my hair out.

2. Do u re-do your bun each morning? If so, how often do u do this during the week? Also, do u change the position of your bun on your head? Yes, I redo my bun each morning. Yes, I change the bun position, sometimes it's high, sometimes it's low, and sometimes it's on the side. I also don't always bun it now, I let my hair hang free. You can also part your hair on the side, and comb the hair sideways and put ur bun on the side... it looks so pretty like that. If i knew how to rock some pretty sticks, i would be smokin

3. How often do u wash: shampoo & conditioner wash? For the past 3 weeks, once a week. But beginning next week, I plan on doing a CO wash daily (first 4 days) and a wash n' set once so that i can wear my hair out for the remaining 3 days in the week.

4. Your real hair or fake hair or some other added accessory (e.g. donut bun)? I usually use my own hair BUT when I go out (clubbing/dinner with the girls) I add some hair for a thick bun - like the girl from Ginuwine's 'In Those Jeans' video - but not that big

5. Do u comb, brush, use hands/fingers, or all three? I haven't brushed my hair in years. I use my wide tooth comb to get my hair in position. Then I use my fine tooth comb to comb the TOP LAYER ONLY of my hair for that sleek look. Then I tie a scarf on my head to flatten it until I am ready to walk out the door.

6. How often do u moisturize your hair? Daily. I use the profectiv healthy ends/leave in. Once I incorporate my CO washes, I will use the NTM leave-in or my Suave M&H conditioner as a leave in.

sarina0000

1. How often do u wear a bun during the week? 6 or sometimes 4 weeks after I get my touch up because my relaxer is getting old and I don't like to mess with it until I get my next touch up which is usually 8-10 weeks.

2. Do u re-do your bun each morning? If so, how often do u do this during the week? Also, do u change the position of your bun on your head? Yes I redo my bun each morning, and I change the position.

3. How often do u wash: shampoo & conditioner wash? Once a week when I'm doing the bun.

4. Your real hair or fake hair or some other added accessory (e.g. donut bun)? My real hair

5. Do u comb, brush, use hands/fingers, or all three? I use my comb to just comb my hair in a bun, the top layer only. Then I use a brush to try to do baby hair around my edges.

6. How often do u moisturize your hair? Everyday. Sometimes I mix Suave Tropical Coconut conditoner with water and spray that on my hair.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Thanks for your response ladies (along with HoneyLemonDrop's PM
). I think I have an idea of what Im going to do...

I dont know if I'll be able to do daily co-washes, but since I workout on the treadmill every other day, I'll co-wash after I exercise. I will shampoo my hair one day a week (either Fri., Sat., or Sun.). I'll start wearing my bun for 3-7 days each week and incorporating what you guys have said about positioning the bun and moisturizing it.

AceH

<font color="blue"> I wear my bun each &amp; everyday. </font>

2. Do u re-do your bun each morning? If so, how often do u do this during the week? Also, do u change the position of your bun on your head?

<font color="blue"> I redo my bun each &amp; every morning. I never change my bun position. My hair album has a pic of my bun. </font>

3. How often do u wash: shampoo &amp; conditioner wash?

<font color="blue"> I shampoo and/or condition wash 3 - 4 times per week. </font>

<font color="blue"> I use my real hair with a donot bun which is the top of an old black sock (cut off the foot part), rolled into the shape of a donut to help keep shape. I put my hair in a ponytail, slip on the donut, and cover the donut sock with my hair. My hair is too long for this donut, so I have to quickly figure something else out. </font>

<font color="blue"> I brush just the cuticle part of my hair (the part that is not included in the bun). </font>

<font color="blue"> I moisturize my hair everyday due to the frequent washings. </font>

Boadicea

About 2-3 times a week. I've taught myself to do many protective styles, so I like to switch it up often just because I can.

If it gets boring, then I won't want to stick with it, which will cost me length retention.

That depends on how "wild" I've slept. I sleep with a satin bonnet on and if I didn't get a good night's sleep, the bonnet will come off and my bun will be messed up.

If I wake up and the bonnet is still on, 9 out of 10 times my bun won't have a hair out of place.

Twice a week. Monday and Thursday.

I use my own hair for all of my styles. I use a whirl-a-bun when I want to add accessories to my hair.

I only comb my hair to detangle it after washing. Otherwise, I use my hands to smooth down the canopy.

Two-three times a week.

Babygurl

I wear a bun every day.

I re-do my bun at night and tie it up, in the morning I spritz with Hot Six Oil and go. I usually have a low bun, but occassionally I put it in the back of my head. (Picture in my Album)

I wash with shampoo every 3 days and I conditioner wash occassionally maybe 1-2 times per week.

I use only my real hair.

I brush my hair back into my bun with a boar bristle brush, never had any problems.

I moisturize every day, sometimes twice a day.

Allandra

I wear my hair in a bun about three days a week. The other four days of the week, I wear my hair in a French twist.

I re-do my bun (or French twist) each morning. Sometimes I wear my bun low (closer to my next), and sometimes I wear my bun up a little higher.

I'm still washing my hair about once a week. I generally wash my hair more often during the warmer months (just been busy with work and lazier with my hair).

My real hair.

I use a comb. I was using a boar bristle brush, but I was nice enough to give it to my nephew.

I try to put something on my hair the days that I don't wash it (either a moisturizer, a leave-in conditioner or just plain ole water).

deeplyrooted

Anywhere from 7 days a week to 0 days a week. I change it up every once in awhile.

When I wear 'em regularly, yes, I redo it every morning that I wear a bun. I just changed the position of my bun today. I use to wear it high, now I wear it low.

I shoot for shampooing once a week. If the itchies really bother me, I usually try conditioner washing inbetween the shampooing.

My 100% real hair.

When I shampoo &amp; condition once a week, I thoroughly comb through my hair. I haven't used a brush in months. I use my hands/fingers to manipulate/coax my hair into a bun when I wear it.

E'ryday. Sometimes I'll be lazy and only moisturize once a week. It depends on my mood.

Tracy

I wear a bun about 4 to 5 days out of the week. I'm working on more.

I take mine down at night and secure with a loose scrunchie (my head can't take all the pulling - gives me a headache) and then redo it in the AM. I don't change the position - for the most part I wear a low bun.

I wash at least once a week. Sometimes 2 or 3. I CO wash sometimes everyday. At any rate, my hair is wet for some reason or another 6 days out of 7, it depends on the week whether it's mostly shampoo or co washes.

I comb in the shower only. I brush my hair to fashion a bun. Top layer only. Just to make it neat.

I don't use "moisturizer" but I consider my conditioners to be my "mositure". Do almost daily.....depends on the day and the week.

happylocks

All week , I just finished wearing it for 2 weeks now am going for 1 month if I can make it

I dont redo it in the morning or take it down till I give in or make it too the end of my 1 month, I did not take it down at all durning my 2 weeks

I do CW whenever I take my bun out, it does get wet in the shower, or I wet wash it if I go swimming

My own Hair

I dont use a brush, I use k cutter comb and my fingers

I spray my hair daily with whatever in my spray bottle and pantene daily Strengthening treatment ( it feels sticky) I just starting using it

hth

JustKiya

:bump: :bump:

:sekret: I was googling for something (yeah, hair-related! :lachen:) and stumbled across this thread - I'd love to hear more regimens!

katote

1. How often do u wear a bun during the week? 5-7 days a week.

2. Do u re-do your bun each morning? If so, how often do u do this during the week? Also, do u change the position of your bun on your head? I redo my bun everyday. No I don't reposition my bun on my head.

3. How often do u wash: shampoo &amp; conditioner wash? Co wash daily.

4. Your real hair or fake hair or some other added accessory (e.g. donut bun)? Use my hair but use a sock bun to make shape.

5. Do u comb, brush, use hands/fingers, or all three? I mainly use my hands to detangle and a brush to brush hair back.

6. How often do u moisturize your hair? Daily

Below you can see how I brush my hair back in order to form the bun.

RosesBlack

5-6 days a week. Wash day I leave it down to airdry.

I redo my bun usually every other day unless I slept too wild. And I try to change the position of my bun at least every other day.

I shampoo once a week or once every two weeks depending on how my hair feels. I DC 2x a week and CO wash when I feel like I need it.

Real hair finally. No more sock bun. I am trying to figure out how to use some cute accessories but I'm not doing well with that so far.

All three depending on how my hair feels that day.

I moisturize every other day usually unless my hair feels especially dry. I don't have a set schedule per se. I am trying to be very intuitive with my hair and do what I feel like it needs at the time rather than keep it to a calender.

the_UnPrettiest_pretty

Beauty IS skin deep.
I wanna start wearing a bun to help retain hair length. At first I didnt have success with it because I would put it in a wet bun and then try combing it out while it was damp. But this time, I just want to wear the bun out...

Almost everyday

Yes, and sometimes I will leave it in the same position, and I will switch it up at other times. It all depends on what mood I'm in.

I poo-wash twice a week.

My real hair.

It depends on what type of bun I'm wearing, but more than likely, I'm using all three.

Daily

Depending on what type of bun I want to wear, if it's just a messy bun, I'll start out with a ponytail and just wrap it around, securing it with a scrunchie, and pull it out to create a messy bun. If I'm going for more of a donut/round look, then I'll feather my hair out with a brush, and pin my hair up with bobby pins, creating the round look as I go. I have used a foam donut shaper before, and it made my head hurt, so I don't use it anymore. I hope this makes sense!

The Princess

1. How often do u wear a bun during the week? Everyday

2. Do u re-do your bun each morning? If so, how often do u do this during the week? Also, do u change the position of your bun on your head? No, only when I put so water on it, however I do put olive oil creme and seal with coconut oil everyday, I don't want my ends to dry out.

3. How often do u wash: shampoo &amp; conditioner wash? Every other day, if im lazy every two days,

4. Your real hair or fake hair or some other added accessory (e.g. donut bun)? My own hair wrap around itself

5. Do u comb, brush, use hands/fingers, or all three? I wide teeth comb it while wet, no brush, only on the edges.

6. How often do u moisturize your hair? Everyday, with coconut oil, or aloe vera, and shea butter, since using the coconut oil, I haven't been using the shea butter, its been a week now. WOW I guess that coconut oil is good then. :yawn:

I DC weekly, with heat
Wash once a week, but will probally try to push it every 10 days,
CO wash every other day, or every 2 days with CON purple top, once a week co wash with Nexxus Humctess
Kerphix and NTM everyother week
put moisture on ends everyday
work out 3-4 times a week
take vits

HTH:yawn:

My response is listed above

glamazon386

I've been wearing buns a lot lately....

1. How often do u wear a bun during the week? Maybe 3 or 4 days

2. Do u re-do your bun each morning? If so, how often do u do this during the week? Also, do u change the position of your bun on your head? No, I usually redo it on the 2nd day. Sometimes the position gets moved, sometimes it doesn't.

3. How often do u wash: shampoo &amp; conditioner wash? I wash my hair once a week with shampoo. I don't cowash.

4. Your real hair or fake hair or some other added accessory (e.g. donut bun)? I usually add a piece of fake hair but which piece varies. Which hair I use will usually determine where I place the bun too. More hair ends up as a high bun, less as a low bun. Once my hair is longer I won't use it anymore.

5. Do u comb, brush, use hands/fingers, or all three? I use a brush. The denman to get it smoothed down then a soft bristle brush for the edges and nape.

6. How often do u moisturize your hair? Outside of washing and DCing once I week I don't do additional moisturizing.

Last edited:

charmtreese

I wear buns daily

1. How often do u wear a bun during the week? 7 days

2. Do u re-do your bun each morning? If so, how often do u do this during the week? Also, do u change the position of your bun on your head? I take my bun down at night to oil and massage my scalp I then fix my hair according to the bun style I will wear in the morning.

3. How often do u wash: shampoo &amp; conditioner wash? currently, Im co-washing and rollersetting twice a week.

4. Your real hair or fake hair or some other added accessory (e.g. donut bun)?I use my hair. some times I add accessories like chop sticks or decorative hair pins.

5. Do u comb, brush, use hands/fingers, or all three? I finger comb my hair into the bun style I want to wear and then smooth the edges with my brush or fine tooth comb. Since I prep my hair the night before and scarf it, my edges are usually nice and smooth in the morning.

6. How often do u moisturize your hair? Outside of washing and DCing twice a week I do not add any additional moisturizers just oils.

RubyWoo

5-6 days a week

Sometimes. It depends on how my sleep went. I also change the position sometimes; not always.

I shampoo and deep condition 1-2 times a week.

My real hair. I braid my hair into a single braid, wrap and then tuck it into my hair. It's a braided bun. I then wear a head band or scarf to accessorize.

Finger comb

Every day. Every other day I spritz with some water to dampen my hair then add moisturizer. Lately I moisturize with either AG Fast Food Leave on Conditioner or Abba Pure Gentle Leave in conditioner.

Simply_Kelz

1. How often do u wear a bun during the week? 7 days a week for the most part .. occasionally [less than monthly] I'll wear it down for a few days .. usually after a touchup

No, I do it at night while it's still wet .. since I usually wash at night. Everynight, and I change it every now and then but not that often:perplexed

Shampoo wash weekly. Cowash daily.

I use my real hair but I might start using added hair .. for .. excitement.

Um, I usually detangle with a shower comb weekly, maybe twice a week. The water usually does the rest for me. Then fingers if needed. Once in a blue moon I'll use a boar bristle brush when dry.

Daily. Maybe twice a day

LaPetiteCoquette

My answers in red below ~

1. How often do u wear a bun during the week? 6 or 7 times a week.

2. Do u re-do your bun each morning? Yes. If so, how often do u do this during the week? Every day. Also, do u change the position of your bun on your head? No, but I am going to start b/c I think it's affecting my edges.

3. How often do u wash: shampoo &amp; conditioner wash? I wash and deep condition (or henna or aphogee) once per week and I conditioner wash once per week.

4. Your real hair or fake hair or some other added accessory (e.g. donut bun)? I baggy my real hair and use faux hair to boost the thickness/hide the baggy.

5. Do u comb, brush, use hands/fingers, or all three? All three, but super wide tooth comb and soft boar bristle brush.

6. How often do u moisturize your hair? Twice a day.

ETA: Wow!! This thread is like four years old. Wow ... lol.

Last edited:

pistachio

everyday!

no, not unless it's wash day, or I wanna switch buns

once a week

4. Your real hair or fake hair or some other added accessory (e.g. donut bun)?sock bun with my hair wrapped around it

all three!!!

everyday with s-curl and water

my responses are in pink above!!^^^^^^

nappy85

1. How often do u wear a bun during the week? At least about 3 days out of the week.

2. Do u re-do your bun each morning? Yes. If so, how often do u do this during the week? Each time I wear a bun. Also, do u change the position of your bun on your head? No.
3. How often do u wash: shampoo &amp; conditioner wash? I co-wash at least twice per week and I shampoo my hair once per week.
4. Your real hair or fake hair or some other added accessory (e.g. donut bun)? My real hair with just the Scrunchi that I use as the ponytail holder and one bobby pin.

5. Do u comb, brush, use hands/fingers, or all three? I comb my hair with a wide toothed combed when I co-wash, I gather my hair in a ponytail with my Denman and I brush my edges lightly with a boar's bristle brush when my hair is damp when making the bun.

6. How often do u moisturize your hair? I consider just water as a moisturizer...so at least 4 times per week.

luvmesumhair

I bun daily!

Monday thru Friday only!

I re-do my bun each morning. I take it down at night to sleep. No I do not change the position. I may eventually though.

I wash and DC once a week.

4. Your real hair or fake hair or some other added accessory (e.g. donut bun)?I put a wet and wavy weave track around my bun to give it fullness until my own hair grows long enough.

I comb only during wash day. Other then that I finger comb and smooth top layer only with a boars brush.

Twice a day. Morning and night.

At night after I moisturize, I try and keep it in the position I took it out of with a very loose ponytail holder then I put on my doo rag.