For Those Who Have Completely Gone Cone Free

PurAngl1

Ok, so I am considering to go completely cone free based on the info I've received from this board. My question is for those of you who have gone cone free. What were the benefits? Like, did you see any major results from being cone free. I know they are really bad when they are non-soluble and need a clarifyer to be washed out. But I want to know any personal benefits that you may have had from eliminating them from your regimen? Is your hair healthier? And what products have you used to replace them? If you are a co washer, how often do you shampoo with a regular shampoo? Also, sometimes I feel my hair needs cones to smooth it out and help with detangling. Anyone else feels or has felt like this? Thanks:grin:

NerdSauce

I'm not completely cone free, but I avoid them. My hair isn't too fond of shampoo--pretty much everything I do is so that it will come into contact with shampoo as rarely as possible. For me, this is the biggest benefit of cones--less shampooing. I also find sometimes (probably because i dislike shampoo so much) that my hair might get a little dry if I'm using too many cones.. You just have to remember to shampoo them out, I think that's really what it comes down too, so you don't get build up. But I also think not using cones challenges you to find things that truly nourish your hair, instead of making it just feel better. I don't think they're all that bad though. They certainly have their uses.

CleverGypsy

If cones work for your hair by all means use them! Cones have never worked for my natural hair. They would always build up and contributed to my never ending battle with super dry 3c hair. (My hair seems to be pretty sensitive to products and I can't really use gel either.) Basicallly cones would coat my hair too well and then moisture couldn't penetrate. Since eliminating all cones my hair has been drinking up moisture and is looking 1000% healthier. My hair never had shine/sheen until I stopped using cones. Frizz has been reduced. Roux Porosity Conditioner has been a huge help too but it really depends on the head of hair. Try eliminating cones for a week or two and see if there's a difference for you.

Products I have used and liked-

Shampoo: Elucence, Kinky Curly
Conditoners: Nature's Gate, Tigi MM, Roux PC, VO5, Elucence, Oyin HH
Deep Cond: Aubrey Organics, Jessicurl, Kenra MC
Leave-in: Sheamoisture, Alba, Surya, (just purchased Qhemet)
Styling: Oyin WP and J&B, Shea butter
Oil: Coconut, avocado, Hairveda Cocasta, Amla and Bhringraj from Garry&Sun
(just purchased JBCO)
Protein: Aubrey GPB, Mega-Tek (has one water-soluble cone)
Henna: Nupur or Karishma gloss

I used to use Giovanni but I like other brands a bit better. HTH.

Last edited:

KynniB

ive been cone free for a while now. The benefits ive noticed are cumulative. Since im not using cones i dont have to wash my hair with a sulfate shampoo to remove them, since i get to use conditioner to wash my hair instead my hair stays more moisturized and results in less tangles which saves more hair. When i apply cone free products they are better able to sink into my hair resulting in long lasting and deep penetrating softness. I use all KBB and hairveda products on my hair. I shampoo whenever i feel my hair is too soft. Like once a month

Last edited:

Neith

I'm cone free. The products that I use are here:

Unless you are sensitive to cones, you don't have to avoid them to have healthy hair, of course.

I am cone free because I don't want to use harsh sulfate shampoos often. I dc 2x a week and co wash 1x a week. If there were cones in any of that I could easily overload on them.

I want to keep my hair as nourished and moisturized as possible... that means frequent washing and twice daily moisturizing to me. I want to be able to do that without build up.

It's working great for me :yep:

Last edited:

WesternEyes

I don't use cones anymore because they seem to build up on my hair and cause my hair to dry and dull. Since I stopped using cones I don't have this problem anymore. I still use shampoo because my scalp likes it, maybe twice a week.

JustKiya

I've been cone-free for about 2, maybe 3 years now?

I have very dry hair, and using cones just made my hair drier - one, by blocking any additional moisture and two, by forcing me to use shampoo to get the cones off to add the moisture.

My hair is definitely happier and healthier now, because it's more moist. I don't use shampoo at all - I clean my hair ayurvedically. I only detangle while my hair is slathered in DC, and the moisture and 'slip' of my DC's is all I need.

PurAngl1

Thanks for responses your, ladies. From what I read cone free is great becase you don't have to shampoo as much, which means more moisture for the hair by co washing. Sounds good to me and I think I will be cone free. I co wash anyways.

Mum2L

I'm sorry but what does, 'cone free' mean? I'm new to all this so please forgive my ignorance. :spinning:

PerplexingComplex

My hair liked cones. The only benefit I got is not having to use shampoo anymore, which means less products to buy. That's the only reason I became cone free.

Mum2L

silicone free i.e. not using any products with silicone in them

So is silicone bad for the hair? I have a product that has silicone in the ingredients, should I stop using it? I didn't know it was damaging to the hair.

Neith

So is silicone bad for the hair? I have a product that has silicone in the ingredients, should I stop using it? I didn't know it was damaging to the hair.

They aren't damaging to the hair. They are only damaging/drying if you let them build up on your hair. Most can only be removed with sulfates.

If you use a sulfate based shampoo, you're probably fine.

yamilee21

I've eliminated silicones, other than in two products I would use if I straightened my hair, and the gel I occasionally use on just the front edges. It has made an incredible difference in my hair - my hair does not get as dry and frizzy as it used to, no flaking from product build-up, and co-washing is more effective.

Melissa-jane

I've been cone-free for about 2, maybe 3 years now?

I have very dry hair, and using cones just made my hair drier - one, by blocking any additional moisture and two, by forcing me to use shampoo to get the cones off to add the moisture.

My hair is definitely happier and healthier now, because it's more moist. I don't use shampoo at all - I clean my hair ayurvedically. I only detangle while my hair is slathered in DC, and the moisture and 'slip' of my DC's is all I need.

I have been cone free for about two months and I have noticed that I do not have to use an oil moisturiser, just a water /glycerin spritz and seal with a tiny bit of oil and my hair is soft and moisturised. If I used cones this would not be possible, my regi is quite similar to Justkiya

lollyoo

I have been cone free for about a year, and is the best thing that ever happened to my hair. When I initially went natural, it was always dry, little did I know it was the cone from moisturiser I was using (at this stage I had stopped using conditioner with cones).
Once I elimated cones completely. I probably shampoo only once in 4-8weeks, I co-wash 3 -7 times a week by the way.
Hair is now always soft, don't even need to moisturise daily and finally no build up.

ive been cone free only since may. but i havent used sulfates or mineral oil since march of 08. i co wash with v05 once a week 3 weeks out of the month and shampoo on the 4th week. i shampoo with blended ebauty soy cream shampoo....i heart this stuff! the first couple of weeks or so without cones was pretty hard. i used a sulfate shampoo to get rid of left over cones and my hair was pissed. it takes a while for the hair to absord 'good' natural moisture. it was much easier to find staple products and im am far less of a product junkie. my hair is SUPER soft and a lot easier to detangle. it is also shiny. im natural by the way. i use shea butter, BB shampoo and herbal reconditioner, GVP Matrix biolage conditioning balm (this stuff is the bomb dot com), qhemet biologics products, KBB products, Oyin handmade products, ECO styler gel, V05 and beauty without crealty to cowash with, Ohm body products and I use chi keratin mist and elucence extended moisture treatment with eggs for protein. deep conditioners take better and even when i use a more clarifying shampoo, say dr bronners shikakai soap, my hair feels softer than it used to when i used it. i will never look back. my hair is just so moisturized and the curls.....are POPPIN'!!

LaidBak

I was using cones for shine and I thought I was doing a good thing for my hair. I used a serum exclusively, no other moisturizers at all, for years. I could never understand why my hair was chronically dry. Now I avoid them. I can't seem to get totally free of them because some really good products I use have them (elasta QP and Salerm 21).
One other thing, the cones were causing me to have blackheads. The stuff went on my hair but always ended up coating my face. I was shiny all the time and never realized it was the serum I used (duh!). Once I cut that out my acne decreased 80%.