For those who do their own braids

CandiedLipgloss

Hey ladies, I need some serious help right now.

I just did my own individual braids for the first time, and they came out pretty decent. However, how in the heck do I get rid of all this bulk at the ends?

I used kanekalon (sp) hair.
I got several suggestions all morning from friends who wear braids.

1. look in the mirror and cut hair to desired length<-Did that, but the front is shorter and the back is still long. :ohwell:
2. Dip in hot water<-Did, and apart from being wet and clumped, it didn't make a difference, now it's drying. :ohwell:
3. I tried twisting several sections and clipped, doing a razor cut as seen on youtube. Ummm...don't think it worked. :look:

I just have this heavy thick ponytail that I can hardly maneuver around.

Someone please explain how can I cut it?

Uhm, did you burn the ends, or do you want the ends loose? For a little curl or texture you can roll the hair and then dip in the hot water.

Either roll the braids on perm rods and put in BOILED water, let set for 10-15 minutes, then unravel

OR

make big braids out of the individuals and dip each braids in BOILED water, let set for 10-15 minutes until hair is cold, then unravel

honestly it sounds like you used too much hair to begin with if shaving and dipping didnt work.

you could try thightly braiding all of the hair in about 6 large braids then dipping again. This will give you a wavey look but I will tame some of the volume.

Thats the best I can think of at the moment. HTH!

honestly it sounds like you used too much hair to begin with if shaving and dipping didnt work.

you could try thightly braiding all of the hair in about 6 large braids then dipping again. This will give you a wavey look but I will tame some of the volume.

Thats the best I can think of at the moment. HTH!

Well, I pretty much put equal amounts for each braid. I don't think I'm good at the shaving.
I will try the braids, thanks.

Well, I pretty much put equal amounts for each braid. I don't think I'm good at the shaving.
I will try the braids, thanks.

Your welcome!

Even when using equal amounts of hair on each braid you can still have a lot of hair as in volume...how many packs did you use? did u cut the hair in half?

For instance when I braid i use about 1 and a half packs of hair. and I cut the hair in half.

Using less hair will help for future sets of braids.

Last edited:
Your welcome!

Even when using equal amounts of hair on each braid you can still have a lot of hair as in volume...how many packs did you use? did u cut the hair in half?

For instance when I braid i use about 1 and a half packs of hair. and I cut the hair in half.

Using less hair will help for future sets of braids.

yes! you just confirmed what my gf told me. I used four packs because I didn't cut them in half. :look: I guess that's why they were down to my butt.:lachen:
I just cut them some more. So now they are at armpit length. It's much lighter than before. But I will definitely keep what you said in mind for next time. Thanks. :yep:

yes! you just confirmed what my gf told me. I used four packs because I didn't cut them in half. :look: I guess that's why they were down to my butt.:lachen:
I just cut them some more. So now they are at armpit length. It's much lighter than before. But I will definitely keep what you said in mind for next time. Thanks. :yep:

Oh okay! Now it all makes sense :grin:

self styling is all about trial and error.

Back