For Naturals Who Frequent Dominican Salons...

Chichi

How does the Dominican blowout (whether it is a roots only blowout or a full-length blowout) compare to getting your hair pressed or flat-ironed?

Does the Dominican blowout revert sooner than the press or flat-ironed style?

In your opinion, which method is easiest for achieving a straight style?

I'd be curious to know since I plan to use Dominican blowouts to achieve straight styles when I become fully natural

Chichi

reggie56

I live in Maryland and I'm getting my hair blown out and pressed for a wedding. I've never been to a Dominican salon, but I'm hearing TERRIFIC things. I could use a nice review. It seems that many relaxed sisters go, but not natural sisters.

Wolftrap

ok it's me again. I guess I'm like the only one that answers the Dominican Threads so I will answer you question. My hair is relaxed but I do have natural friends that go the Dominican salons with me.

How does the Dominican blowout (whether it is a roots only blowout or a full-length blowout) compare to getting your hair pressed or flat-ironed?

It all depends on your hair type and texture. If you are a 4a/b then the blowout may not be for you if you want very straight results. Getting your hair pressed or flat ironed will give you better long run results. If you have 3 type hair you will have better results with the blowout. Although in the beginning with the Dominican blow out your hair will be straight and flowing. The littlest bit of moisture humidity or whatever will curl that sucker right back up in a NY minute. I don't suggest naturals do this in the summertime.

Chichi

So it seems like the press is longer lasting? My hair is 2C but coarse and thick. I wonder how the blowout would work on my fully natural hair. Wolftrap, thanks for the reply. What type of hair does your friend have? Also, aren't there any products that one could bring to the salon that would discourage the reversion?

Chichi

Tracy

I think it would work fine ChiChi...

My Mom's hair is about a 4 and her blowouts are fine - true they don't last long but she likes them better than the presses she's done here and there. What she doesn't like about presses is that it takes a really long time for her hair to become completely curly again. And she noticed more breakage that way. She loves Dom. blowouts even though they don't last as long - because they are less permanent than presses on her hair.

Wolftrap

Oh if you have type 2c your hair will be better off with the blowout definitely. My friend has type 2c and my other friend has 3 type hair. My friend with the 2 NEVER presses her hair and her hair is thick as I don't know what. and her blowouts last a long time. You will be fine with this type of hair