For Catholics: Devotions

auparavant

Devotions and "praise" reports:

Oh glorious apostle St. Jude, faithful servant and friend of Jesus, the name of the traitor who delivered thy beloved Master into the hands of His enemies has caused thee to be forgotten by many, but the Church honors and invokes thee universally as the patron of hopeless cases--of things despaired of. Pray for me who am so miserable; make use, I implore thee, of that particular privilege accorded thee of bringing visible and speedy help where help is almost despaired of. Come to my assistance in this great need, that I may receive the consolations and succor of heaven in all my necessities, tribulations and sufferings, particularly (mention your request), and that I may bless God with thee and all the elect throughout eternity. I promise thee, O blessed St. Jude, to be ever mindful of this great favor, and I will never cease to honor thee as my special and powerful patron, and to do all in my power to encourage devotion to thee. Amen

O Holy St Jude!
Apostle and Martyr,
great in virtue and rich in miracles,
near kinsman of Jesus Christ,
faithful intercessor for all who invoke you,
special patron in time of need;
to you I have recourse from the depth of my heart,
and humbly beg you,
to whom God has given such great power,
to come to my assistance;
help me now in my urgent need and grant my earnest petition.
I will never forget thy graces and favors you obtain for me
and I will do my utmost to spread devotion to you.Amen.

St. Jude, pray for us and all who honor thee and invoke thy aid.
(Say 3 Our Father's, 3 Hail Mary’s, and 3 Glory Be’s after this.

auparavant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRFM1n6sI6Q

Praise from the Midnight Praises, Egyptian Monastery, "L-rd Jesus Christ, Help Me"

I sought after You, from the depth of my heart, my Lord Jesus, help me.
Loosen for me, all the bonds of sin, my Lord Jesus Christ, help me.

Be a help to me, so that You may save me, my Lord Jesus, help me.
May Your goodness, come speedily to me, my Lord Jesus Christ, help me.

Overshadow me, with the shadow of Your wings, my Lord Jesus, help me.
In six days You have made, all the creation, my Lord Jesus Christ, help me.

Seven times everyday, I will praise Your name, my Lord Jesus, help me.
All the creation, glorifies Your name, my Lord Jesus Christ, help me.

Yours is the lordship, and the authority, my Lord Jesus, help me.
Make haste O my God, so that You may save me, my Lord Jesus Christ, help me.

Every knee, bows down before You, my Lord Jesus, help me.
All the diverse tongues, together bless Your name, my Lord Jesus Christ, help me.

Turn away Your face, from all of my sins, my Lord Jesus, help me.
Blot out O God, all my iniquities, my Lord Jesus Christ, help me.

You know my thoughts, and You search my depths, my Lord Jesus, help me.
Create in me, a clean heart, my Lord Jesus Christ, help me.

Your Holy Spirit, do not take away from me, my Lord Jesus, help me.
Incline Your ears, make haste and hear me, my Lord Jesus Christ, help me.

Set before me a law, in the way of Your justice, my Lord Jesus, help me.
Your kingdom O my God, is an eternal kingdom, my Lord Jesus Christ, help me.

You are the Son of God, I believe in You, my Lord Jesus, help me.
You who carries the sins of the world, have mercy upon me, my Lord Jesus Christ, help me.

Forgive me the multitude, of my iniquities, my Lord Jesus, help me.
All of the souls, together bless Your name, my Lord Jesus Christ, help me.

Have patience with me, do not hasten to destroy me, my Lord Jesus, help me.
Early in the morning, I will rise and bless Your name, my Lord Jesus Christ, help me.

Your yoke is sweet, and Your burden is light, my Lord Jesus, help me.
In the accepted, time hear me, my Lord Jesus Christ, help me.

Oh how beloved, is Your holy name, my Lord Jesus, help me.
Disperse away from me, all of the devils, my Lord Jesus Christ, help me.

Sow within me, the seed of Your righteousness, my Lord Jesus, help me.
Grant us Your true peace, and forgive us our sins, my Lord Jesus Christ, help me.

ktykaty

Thanks for starting this auparavant

Today (june 15th 2012) is the Feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, so in his Honor :
Act of Love to the Sacred Heart

Reveal Thy Sacred Heart to me, O Jesus, and show me Its attractions. Unite me to It for ever. Grant that all my aspirations and all the beats of my heart, which cease not even while I sleep, may be a testimonial to Thee of my love for Thee and may say to Thee: Yes, Lord, I am all Thine; the pledge of my allegiance to Thee rests ever in my heart and will never cease to be there. Do Thou accept the slight amount of good that I do and be graciously pleased to repair all my wrongdoing; so that I may be able to bless Thee in time and in eternity. Amen.

auparavant

Thank you, St. Jude, for speedily answering my prayers through Christ Our L-rd. One hurdle has been passed. I remain prayerful. Thank you, St. Kateri Tekawitha, for your answers to my prayers.

St. Elijah, you know how you came and sat at your place with your cup. Even that has led me to what I have asked for. Thank you.

Thank you, L-rd, for the Communion of the Saints. We are still one body and we work through you.

Belle Du Jour

Thanks for starting this auparavant

Today (june 15th 2012) is the Feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, so in his Honor :
Act of Love to the Sacred Heart

Reveal Thy Sacred Heart to me, O Jesus, and show me Its attractions. Unite me to It for ever. Grant that all my aspirations and all the beats of my heart, which cease not even while I sleep, may be a testimonial to Thee of my love for Thee and may say to Thee: Yes, Lord, I am all Thine; the pledge of my allegiance to Thee rests ever in my heart and will never cease to be there. Do Thou accept the slight amount of good that I do and be graciously pleased to repair all my wrongdoing; so that I may be able to bless Thee in time and in eternity. Amen.

I went to Mass on Friday and really thinking about Jesus' heart and his awesome LOVE for us is really amazing to me.

Rsgal

I went to Mass on Friday and really thinking about Jesus' heart and his awesome LOVE for us is really amazing to me.

AMEN

Wow @Belle Du Jour, I went for mass on Friday too and was reading about the Sacred Heart and the Novenas.

I actually came over to post that info.

Last edited:

Rsgal

Spirituality: The Sacred Heart of Jesus

http://wordonfire.org/WoF-Blog/WoF-Blog/June-2012/Spirituality-The-Sacred-Heart-of-Jesus.aspx

What does it really mean to say that "God is Love," and how is this revealed in the Sacred Heart of Jesus? On this Solemnity of the Sacred Heart, Father Steve meditates on an image of the heart of Christ, explaining what it means to be held within this pierced yet radiant symbol of Divine love.

Hanging on the wall of one of the confessionals at my parish is an image of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. The unknown artist has opted, as many have, for a soft Jesus, whose features are as bland and inoffensive as possible and whose heart is more of a glowing orb than anything remotely resembling flesh and blood. I know that the image is meant to communicate- that the Lord Jesus is accessible to the penitent and offers in response to even the most grievous of sins the possibility of another chance. This is not a Jesus prone to yelling “You did what?” It is a Jesus before which one would be able to deliver oneself with honesty without fear that what awaited such an admission would be blow to the face.

Comforting? Yes. It is also an image of Jesus that is, from an aesthetic perspective, utterly forgettable. The image lingers there, barely noticed. I think that I recall this depiction of Christ only because I am positioned beneath it with some measure of frequency. When I have mentioned to folks who frequently request the Sacrament of Penance that I would meet them in the confessional that has the image of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in it, they look at me as if they will need a map.
Images of the Sacred Heart of Jesus are enduring and ubiquitous in Catholic culture. The emphasis these images place on the approachability of Christ, even to the point of softening his features to effeminacy, is meant to communicate how human feelings and affections have been elevated through the Incarnation. Christ, who loves us, loves us in a way that we can appreciate and understand, and he makes himself available to us in our emotions. Christ can love us, and we can love him in return. Yet the traditional devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus has also stressed that the love of God in Christ is met, more often than not, by our refusal. The Heart of Jesus is not only radiant with love for us, but it is a wounded heart, encircled by thorns, and pierced- this is a Heart that we tried to kill, a love that we tried to extinguish.
But our attempts were frustrated by the willingness of Christ to love us even more.

In this respect, the Sacred Heart of Jesus is itself an image of the totality of the Incarnation. The Incarnation is the revelation that God is love and that this love, resisting all our attempts to make it into something that serves our own egos, will always look in this world like Christ. What we did to this love, and continue to do to this love, is irrefutable evidence of how unlovable that we are- at least from our vantage point. However, seen from the vantage point of God, our failure to love him enflames his passion for us all the more. If, in the narrowness of our human hearts, we fail to understand why God’s love in Christ would resist the standards of justice that we all too readily impose, this might mean we actually appreciate how mysterious God’s love actually is.
God does not love us as we are accustomed to love each other. God does not love us because we deserve it or because we have earned it or because we have something that God needs that he lacks in his own nature. Instead, God is love. The Sacred Heart of Jesus is trying to make this point visually as its verbal expression seems at times harder to understand. Understanding all this is one thing. Accepting it is another.
The temptation to try to make God love as we love is particularly acute. Especially given that if God loved us on our terms it would also mean that he would be just as inclined to hate on our terms as well. It is hard to consider that humanity’s refusal of God, which is manifested in the cross, might be interpreted as the punishment we impose on God for not loving on our terms. That God in Christ transforms the punishment we impose on him into the means to love us even more makes its grace all the more difficult to fathom. But we must accept it, and for the saints such acceptance is irresistible. For the sinner such grace is a total surprise, and it is hard not to believe that there is some kind of catch. There isn’t a catch, even if we find that hard to believe.
That image of the Sacred Heart in the confessional has presided over more confessions than many priests will hear in a lifetime. Its presence has, for the most part, been unseen. However, how many penitents have caught a glimpse, if only for a moment, finding in it a quiet, gentle reassurance that in all that I have done and failed to do, in all of my refusals and failures to love, God is love, and in his Sacred Heart, he still loves me.

Father Steve Grunow is the Assistant Director of Word on Fire Catholic Ministries

Last edited:

auparavant

^^^ Rsgal

Can you re-edit with the url? That's to make sure we are reading from a valid catholic source. I hate to be nit-picky, but in matters of the Church, I'm pretty orthodox in that. I'd additinally like to have the url for people to take with them and pass it along. Thanks much.

Rsgal

http://saintjohncathedral.com/Pages/I_Worship/SacredHeart.pdf

Novena to the Sacred Heart of Jesus

Prayer to the Sacred Heart of Jesus

O most Sacred Heart of Jesus, fountain of every blessing, I adore You,
I love You and with a true sorrow for my sins,
I offer You this poor heart of mine.
Make me humble, patient, pure and wholly obedient to Your will.
Grant good Jesus that I may live in You and for You.
Protect me in the midst of danger, comfort me in my afflictions, give me health of body, assistance in my temporal needs,
Your blessing on all that I do, and the grace of a holy death.

Amen.

Petition to the Sacred Heart of Jesus

My Jesus, Lord of my soul,

You promised that Your Divine Heart would be the ocean of mercy for the needy who trust in You.
I firmly believe that You can grant to me what I am asking even if it would require a miracle to do it.
Where should I go knocking but at the door of your Heart?
"Blessed are they who hope in You."
O Jesus, I confide to Your Heart the following intention… (
silently mention your petetion/intention here)
Look at it and do what Your Heart dictates. Let Your Heart act accordingly.
O Jesus, I count on You. I confide in You.
I surrender and consecrate myself to You.
I feel secure in You.
"Sacred Heart of Jesus, I trust in You."

Consecration to the Sacred Heart of Jesus

O amiable Heart of my Saviour,
I adore You! O gracious Heart of my Jesus, I love You!
O compassionate Heart I give You my heart, and am deeply moved by all You have done and suffered for me.
Yes, I give You my whole heart.
Attach it eternally to Yourself. Inflame it with Your love.
Inspire it with Your sentiments.
Make it know Your will and practice Your virtue.
O Sacred Heart of Jesus, filled with infinite love, broken by my ingratitude, pierced by my sins, yet loving me still – accept the consecration that I make to You of all that I am and all that I have.
Take every faculty of my soul and body.
Draw me, day by day, nearer and nearer to your Sacred Heart, and there, as I can bear the lesson, teach me your blessed ways.
Amen.

The promises of our Lord for souls devoted to His Sacred Heart.

1. I will give them all the graces necessary in their state of life.

2. I will establish peace in their houses.

3. I will comfort them in all their afflictions.

4. I will be their secure refuge during life, and above all in death.

5. I will bestow a large blessing upon all their undertakings.

6. Sinners shall find in My Heart the source and the infinite ocean of mercy.

7. Tepid souls shall grow fervent.

8. Fervent souls shall quickly mount to high perfection.

9. I will bless every place where a picture of My Heart shall be set up and honored.

10. I will give to priests the gift of touching the most hardened hearts.

11. Those who shall promote this devotion shall have their names written in My Heart, never to be blotted out.

12. I promise thee in the excess of the mercy of My Heart, that its all-powerful love will grant to all those who shall receive Communion on the First Friday of nine consecutive months the grace of final repentance; they shall not die under My displeasure, nor without receiving the Sacraments; My Divine Heart shall be their assured refuge at that last hour.

(Conveyed in the year 1672, to a Visitandine religious. Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque,(1647-1690).)

Last edited:

Rsgal

^^^ @Rsgal

Can you re-edit with the url? That's to make sure we are reading from a valid catholic source. I hate to be nit-picky, but in matters of the Church, I'm pretty orthodox in that. I'd additinally like to have the url for people to take with them and pass it along. Thanks much.

auparavant, Done.

Last edited:

Belle Du Jour

What we did to this love, and continue to do to this love, is irrefutable evidence of how unlovable that we are- at least from our vantage point. However, seen from the vantage point of God, our failure to love him enflames his passion for us all the more.

This utterly amazes me. . .that God continues to love us and continues to tarry because He doesn't desire that one of us should perish. :nono:

Belle Du Jour

Rsgal

Belle Du Jour
Litany in Honor of the Holy Cross

L\ The word of the Cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. (1 Cor. 1:18)

R\ God forbid that I should glory save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. (Gal. 6:14)

L\ Jesus has many who love His Kingdom in heaven, but few who bear His Cross. He has many who desire comfort, but few who desire suffering. He finds many to share His feast, but few His fasting. All desire to rejoice with Him, but few are willing to suffer for His sake.*

R\ God forbid that I should glory save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. (Gal. 6:14)

L\ Why do you fear to take up the Cross, which is the road to the Kingdom? In the Cross is salvation and life, protection against our enemies, infusion of heavenly sweetness; in the Cross is strength of mind, joy of spirit, excellence of virtue, perfection of holiness. There is no salvation of soul, nor hope of eternal life, save in the Cross.*

L\ Take up the Cross, therefore, and follow Jesus, and go forward into eternal life. Christ has gone before you, bearing His Cross; He died for you on the Cross, that you also may bear your cross, and desire to die on the Cross with Him. For if you die with Him, you will also live with Him. And if you share his sufferings, you will also share His glory.*

L\ See how in the Cross all things consist, and in dying on it all things depend. There is no other way to life and to true inner peace, than the way of the Cross. Go where you will, seek what you will; you will find no higher way above nor safer way below than the road of the Holy Cross.*

L\ The Cross always stands ready, and everywhere awaits you. You cannot escape it, wherever you flee; for wherever you go, you bear yourself, and always find yourself. Look up or down, without you or within, and everywhere you will find the Cross. And everywhere you must have patience, if you wish to attain inner peace, and win an eternal crown.*

All: Lord Jesus Christ, strengthen us to follow you not only to the Breaking of Bread but also to the drinking of the Cup of Your Passion. Help us to love You for Your own sake and not for the sake of comfort for ourselves. Make us worthy to suffer for Your name, Jesus, our Crucified and Risen Lord and Savior, now and forever.
Amen.

*from The Imitation of Christ by Thomas Kempis, 1380-1471

Source:http://www.yenra.com/catholic/prayers/litanyinhonoroftheholycross.html

Last edited:

Rsgal

Holy Cross Prayer

Oh, Adorable Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, You have suffered death on the Cross for our sins.
Oh, Holy Cross of Jesus, be my true light!
Oh, Holy Cross, fill my soul with good thoughts.
Oh, Holy Cross, ward off from me all things that are evil.
Oh, Holy Cross, ward off from me all dangers and deaths and give me life everlasting!
Oh, Crucified Jesus of Nazareth, have mercy on me now and forever.

In honor of the Precious Blood of Jesus, his death, resurrection and ascension which leads to everlasting life; true as Jesus was born on Christmas Day; true as Jesus was crucified on Good Friday; true as Joseph and Nicodemus took Jesus down from the cross and buried Him; true as Jesus ascended into Heaven; may He preserve me from my enemies visible and invisible forever.
Oh, Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on me! Mary and Joseph pray for me.
Lord Jesus Christ, through Your suffering the Cross grant me strength to bear my Cross without fear or dread and give me the grace that I may follow You.

Amen.

Belle Du Jour

I don't know if this counts as a devotion but it is about giving God the praise. The Divine Praises have been said for a few hundred years after benediction of the Blessed Sacrament.

Blessed be God.

Blessed be His Holy Name.

Blessed be Jesus Christ, true God and true man.

Blessed be the name of Jesus.

Blessed be His Most Sacred Heart.

Blessed be His Most Precious Blood.

Blessed be Jesus in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.

Blessed be the Holy Spirit, the Paraclete.

Blessed be the great Mother of God, Mary most holy.

Blessed be her holy and Immaculate Conception.

Blessed be her glorious Assumption.

Blessed be the name of Mary, Virgin and Mother.

Blessed be Saint Joseph, her most chaste spouse.

Blessed be God in His angels and in His Saints.

(Optional) May the heart of Jesus, in the Most Blessed Sacrament, be praised, adored, and loved with grateful affection, at every moment, in all the tabernacles of the world, even to the end of time. Amen.

Source: http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/prayers/view.cfm?id=564