? for Adrienne....or frequent braid wearers

sexycaramel03

I was having a problem with buildup around the base of my braids in the front. As a result, I had to get the ones with buildup rebraided since I plan to keep my braids in for another 2-4 weeks. When I was taking the braids out, I noticed a LOT of shedding. It seemed like I lost a lot of hair, and it made me especially sensitive to the shedding because it was in the front and at the hairline. I've had the braids in for 4 weeks now, and I know it's just 4 weeks worth of shedding, but does it actually set you back as far as hair growth and hair thickness? I thought braids were supposed to aid in hair growth.

adrienne0914

if the braids weren't too tight, i would definitely say o, girl! you can usually tell when it's gonna be a problem if the hairs that you lose have the bulb on them... and you see the bulb while the hair is still braided...

i remember when taking my braids down, it always seemed worse than it was. i'd be traumatized sometimes.

p.s. your braids are really cute!!

bettydavis

I've noticed more buildup around my hairline too. I realise that that area is more fragile, I try to solve the problem by redoing those braids more often and making the parts bigger than the rest.

adrienne0914

sexycaramel, how often do you wash your braids? and what are you using on your scalp? maybe it's the products that you're using. i really didn't have any problems with buildup, and i would wear my braids usually for 3 months at a time. i used Hot Six or some other oil concoction on my scalp. i used curl activator on my braids. that was pretty much it besides the washing and conditioning...

sexycaramel03

[ QUOTE ]
adrienne0914 said:
sexycaramel, how often do you wash your braids? and what are you using on your scalp? maybe it's the products that you're using. i really didn't have any problems with buildup, and i would wear my braids usually for 3 months at a time. i used Hot Six or some other oil concoction on my scalp. i used curl activator on my braids. that was pretty much it besides the washing and conditioning...

[/ QUOTE ]
I wash my braids once a week. I upped it to twice a week when I started getting buildup, but now that I've taken care of the build-up (at least for now), I'll go back to washing once a week. Products I use on the scalp include Infusium 23 (right after washing only) and occasionally some Sta-Sof-Fro. I try to use my braid spray on the length of the braids only. I just bought some Wild Growth Oil and have used that on my scalp twice. I am going to start using that only after I wash. I use Doo Gro Moisturizing Shampoo on the scalp and whatever moisturizing conditioners I have only on the length of the braids.

greAtness333

SexyCaramel03 & Adrienne0914: How did your hair turn out after you took the braids out? Can you give any advice on how to particularly care for the edges and nape?

cocoa2122

I used to have the build up problem also with braids. I found that doing an apple cider vinegar rinse once a week stopped that problem all together. For moisture I used activator on the braids twice a week.