Flippin' Between the BC and the Phony Pony (Sigh)

PaperClip

So here's what's going on: I did the BC about 3 months ago and determined to wear my new natural hair proudly, despite the lack of support from my people.

Well, today, I have on a phony pony and I'm getting compliments. I put on the phony pony just to do something different and to see what my hair would do and I was a little frustrated because I have not perfected my wash/shake and go routine just yet.

I do not want to keep flipping back between my hair and wearing a phony pony because I want to wear my hair proudly. At the same time, I like getting compliments. I also don't want to wear the phony pony because it's like a temptation for me right back into the braids, weaves, wigs, etc. I believe my hair is doing well (better) without the added hair and also it's a mental thing with going back to the added hair as a source of security/expected standard of beauty that I am trying to break out of....

I seek help on how to balance this out. Thank you.

Northern_Belle

With winter coming soon, I don't see anything wrong with wearing the phony pony. It would provide you with a protective style and if you added the baggie method for your ends, it would help for you to keep in the needed moisture for the most delicate parts of your hair.
There's a transition from transitioning to being fully natural that most people don't talk about; it can be a growing pain as you get adjusted to your new look. It's normal and you'll overcome it in time. Hair is only as serious as you make it and there's nothing wrong with switching up your hair styles. Variety is the spice of life and if you let it, hair can be an accessory instead of a statement about you.

anherica

I understand what you're saying, completely! I'm sorry that you're not getting alot of support.
Going natural can be challenging, you pretty much have a whole new head of hair to get accustomed to.

What troubles are you having with your shake n' go? It took me a minute to get a handle on wash n' go hair myself. (I can't shake n' go at the mo, hair's too short and I'd break my neck) I checked out your pictures, and your hair is so pretty! Have you tried braid outs or twists? Maybe a change of style on the natural would help you feel more confident. Don't give up! :look: And there's nothing wrong with switching up your look once in a while either.

Last edited:

PaperClip

Thank y'all for your support....

It's cool that I can be versatile.... But at the same time, I don't want to seem like I punked out, you know, because I got nervous about the length at the moment.