Flax Seed Oil

tasha

Here is some information that I have retained from the board on this topic:
Flaxseed Oil
Now flaxseed Oil is wonderful in the sense that it contains both Alpha-Linolenic Acid (Omega-3 Fatty Acid) and Gamma-Linolenic Acid (Omega-6 Fatty Acid). Omega-3 is very important in our bodies too. We need both to help maintain a healthy body. Omega-3 has been know the help ADD/ADHD (Attention Deficit Disorder). It is also essential for healthy hair, skin, and nails. It helps hair in the same way Omega-6 does.

Flaxseeds which are far less expensive than flax oil and they taste good too, like nuts. Flaxseeds are a fiber, high in protein, potassium, B vitamins and much more, along with Omega 3. If you want to try them, don't eat the seeds whole - they will cause a laxative effect as they pass whole through the system! You must grind them first before eating them. A regular blender or a coffee grinder works great. Then you will get all the great benefits of the flaxseed - your hair and skin will get very shiny and moisturized in about a week. You may even notice the results in just 3 days.

Both flax oil and flaxseeds are found in most health food stores.
After you grind your flaxseeds, it takes 3 tablespoons to equal 1 tablespoon of flax oil. It is thought that we benefit the most from 1 tablespoon per 100 pounds of body weight. It is great on salads or popcorn). sprinkle some on salad or veggies, mix it with honey, raisins, sunflower seeds, chopped almonds (tastes like a sweet granola bar) or add it to grape juice and drink it)
HTH

Nonie

You can get flax oil both as a pill and in oil form, but usually one tablespoon of the oil is equivalent to 14 capsules, so a lot of people go for the oil. I'll warn you though, the oil tastes like
And if you do get the oil, make sure it's stored in the fridge when you buy it. If you get the capsules, make sure you read the bottle whether to store in the fridge after opening. The Ultra Lignan Flax Oil capsules I got before switching to the oil were potent and required refrigeration after opening. Still, even with all the amount of Omega oil acids in each capsule in that brand, fourteen were needed to equal one tablespoon of the oil.

Nonie

Thanks for the tip, Zuppy.
I'm bookmarking that and will be sure to try it their flax oil...if ever I run out of the oil I have now.

soulchild

Is there any difference b/w Flax Oil and Flaxseed Oil? And 14 capsules (1,000 mg) is the same as one tablespoon of the oil? So is that like taking 14,000 mg?

Sorry if my questions are a lil

Nonie

I believe flaxseed oil and flax oil are the same thing. And yes, I do believe one tablespoon is equivalent taking 14,000 mg in capsule form - which is the optimal daily dosage per 100-lb body weight.

But check this out: getting the actual flaxseed and grinding about a 1/4 cup gives you the same Omega 3 as taking seventeen 1000 mg capsules.
I read that grinding that much and mixing into a glass of orange juice can make a complete breakfast that'll keep you feeling full for hours.

YuNg

I doubled my flax dosage to 4000mg i was wondering so i still need to take evening primose to get addition benefit i really dont like taking that big pill. They said you can get a fatty acid imbalance or something like that because they compete with each other. Has anyone got good results with flax along. like softer hair?

soulchild

Has anyone saw reduced results with taking both EPO and flax? I plan on taking both of them but I had not heard that they can "compete" with each other.

And thanks nonie for the info.

Nonie

If I wanted to take both EPO and Flax Oil, the way I'd do it is to get a complete Essential Fatty Acid supplement. Some are made using both flax oil and evening primrose oil, so you kill two birds with one stone. Others use Borage Oil instead of Evening Primrose Oil but I think they provide the same benefits. Here's an example.