*****Flatironing my hair leaves me looking like a drowned cat*****

I flat ironed my hair last night with my CHI, all I put in my hair was Lacio Lacio and sealed ends with coconut oil before I wrapped.
When I take off the wrap in the morning my hair is bone-straight and it feels awesome but it is so darn flat.

How should I wrap differently for my hair not to become that flat?

OT: I'm sorry I can't show any pics because I'm on a HYH challenge.
I'll be 1 year into my transitioning in 2 weeks and I decided to check my length (I'm allowed a pass to wear my hair out, so I'm not cheating y'all).

malachi74

maybe use less product if you're planning to wear it bone-straight but still need body/fullness. Even though I'm natural my hair strands are fine and I end up looking like that too if i have lots of product in AND wrap after flat-ironing.

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
If there's no bounce to your hair right after a flat iron, you're using too much product. The best way to keep the body and swang is VERY little or no products during flat ironing. Also - Be sure to wrap your hair with a comb, or a padle brush if you really have to.

I hardly used any. I put like a quarter size amount of Lacio Lacio in it before ironing and barely any coconut oil on ends only before i wrapped.
Should I not use anything at all?

zzirvingj

I hardly used any. I put like a quarter size amount of Lacio Lacio in it before ironing and barely any coconut oil on ends only before i wrapped.

Maybe try a dime sized amount of Lacio Lacio (total) and a pea-sized amount of coconut oil (total).

And maybe just put the coconut oil on the ends after you've flat ironed. do you always wrap after flat ironing?

LushLox

Heh @ drowned cat! :D I can't really provide any advice, I'm just appreciating your thread title!

I know I would look the same too, which is why I prefer to roller set, and saran wrap if needed.

zzirvingj

Heh @ drowned cat! :D I can't really provide any advice, I'm just appreciating your thread title!

I know I would look the same too, which is why I prefer to roller set, and saran wrap if needed.

I was gonna say...wouldn't wrapping make the hair flatter? Maybe you could try rolling it instead.

Soliel185

Maybe try some loose pin curls instead of wrapping?

I can't wrap to save my life anyway, but the pin curls will give your hair alittle body and help it fall nicely.

malachi74

just try less...

if you're going to flat-iron and then pin curl the body will stay. but if your aim is bone-straight then just try less product or just a spray heat protectant, nothing heavy.

Last edited:

Prettyeyes

I would try the next day pop a few rollers in it while you are dressing. Should give you some volume since you have naturally thin hair. I bet you look cute!

SouthernTease

I don't us any products for that bouncy effect...
you probably have super fine hair like me...
clarify with ACV... and then use conditioner...
wash it all out and then use like a dime size amount
of whatever you want diluted with water ... roller set...
and then flat iron using NO PRODUCT
this worked for me during my 1 year transition ... maybe it will work for you.

Millahdoowop

The one thing that has worked for me when I was wearing my hair straight was a mohawk rollerset. You comb/brush your hair back and section it off in three sections (part horizontally) and roll each section with one roller and some bobbie pins. When you take it down in the morning you will have body and some curl as well. I liked that way a LOT.

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae

I use nothing at all. I just sit under the dryer for a longer time when deep conditioning but after I rinse the conditioner i use no additional products. Just a little serum before I wrap, after my hair has already been straightened. My hair stays bouncy for days.

DarkDesire

I'm surprised no one's mentioned a roller set...
I would think that what you could do, is after the wrap, what you could do is try a dry rollerset, spray the roots a LITTLE (optional) and sit under a hairdryer or use your handheld for about 5 mins on the cold setting to set the lift at the roots. that might work... once you take the rollers out and brush the shape out, there might be more volume and less flatness. But I am just supposing... am a nattral...

girlyprincess23

Maybe try some loose pin curls instead of wrapping?

I can't wrap to save my life anyway, but the pin curls will give your hair alittle body and help it fall nicely.

I double this that is what i used to do to make my blowout last. I will start again once i figure out how to do it without leaving dents in my hair. Because I know just what you mean about the drowned cat look, thats whi I stopped using regular relaxers because after that and a flat iron that's what I would look like..........next to NO body!!

Last edited: