Flat Ironing Roots?

skyborn09

Hey ladies once I get past 8 weeks my roots get outta control and I've been reading that some of you ladies flat iron your roots. Is it ok if I flat iron my roots weekly after doing my rollersets? Just curious because I don't want to damage my hair:blush:

HighlyFavored1

I am wondering this exact same thing. I recently did a rollerset and I just can not blow my roots straight (although the Healthy Textures tutorial helped). I figured that by the time i use all of that heat trying to blow them straight, I could just spray my roots with heat protectant and hit it with my flat iron. When I use the Maxiglide with the pins plate my roots always get very straight. I mean, at least I would not be flat ironing the most fragile parts of my hair...

Does anyone know if doing this is defeating the no-direct-heat purpose of rollersetting?

Whimsy

I've got about 6 months of new growth at my roots. I was using a maxiglide over the entire length of my hair every 2 weeks. If you're doing a no direct heat challenge or something then I'd say NO don't flat iron your roots. But if you're not and you want an effective root flattener, then go for it.

If you are doin a no direct heat challenge, try brushing your hair down and using a scarf to flatten overnight?

Dposh167

I successfully flat iron my roots every week after a rollerset.

i have no sign of damage. and i've been doing it every single week since september. And my ends are still entact.

just make sure u use a heat protectant. And if ur too worried about ur ends, don't go over the entire length of hair.:sad: I'll admit i do it ever so often, but mostly i'll just do the roots.

If i'm really far into a stretch and my roots are craaazy. I'll prepoo with conditioner w/ a lot of honey. I'll apply it only to roots and it has helped me loosen the curl so when i'm ready to flat iron, i just have to go over the hair once and it's straight! even with a bad rollerset.:rolleyes:

Last edited: