Flat Iron Gone Wrong w/ a pic

2ndsbetter

Hello Ladies,

I'm a long time lurker who wants input about how to improve my blowdry & flat iron sessions. I'm 9 mths post BC and I was bored so I decided to only blowdry but then added a flat iron session. I DC'd for an hour w/ a cap then rinsed and washed. I used a leave in and heat protectant before the blowdry. I used a Denman w/ my Conair Ionic 1875 then flat ironed with my old Hot n' Silky iron. Don't know what happened but I think that it turned out awful because I don't have much practice and the process felt awkard. Feel free to add any tips although I've searched lhcf & youtube.:perplexed

Regimen & Products:
DC'd w/ left over conditioner (Keracare humecto, ORS Replenishing Pak, Mayo, Renpure Reconstructor) & added EVCO & EVOO. (It may seem I used too many products but I only used a squirt of each)
Washed w/ Dr. Bronner's Castille Soap
Used CON Lemongrass & Rosemary as a leave-in, detangled and applied Nunaat Karite Thermoactive Creme and Argan Oil Treatment.

********************Update*******************************
Last pic is after trimming SSKs & splits. I really think I need to focus on sealing my ends and wearing twists because puffs & fros may be destroying my ends.

Attachments

• DSCN0814.JPG
    DSCN0814.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 501
  • hair after trim.jpg
    hair after trim.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
I have no advice since I don't blow dry my hair but I will follow this thread because I would like to start.

My hair hates for me to blow dry my hair lol. For me I wash, stream DC, rinse, apply leave in, heat protection and braid my hair and let dry. Once it is dry usually the next day I will flat iron my hair using the comb chase method.

BTW I am 2 years natural.

^^I think I'm gonna try that next time.

I got better results when I let the product dry overnight vs. applying it right before flat ironing.

The comb chase method makes the hair straighter w/o using so much passes or high heat. My first two flatiron jobs were horrible (especially the first one) and would have continued until I looked at yt.

Did you say, you conditioned THEN washed? Do you trim? You might just have bad ends.

Last edited:
I think your DC had too much protein for you to be all natural and trying to flat iron right after that. When I flat iron I always do an all moisture DC. Then I do a protein DC after I flat iron. I always try to get as much moisture into my hair before I flat iron. That usually leaves me with silky results.
Some other things that may have been wrong was your actual flat iron technique. Small sections and comb chase method is key to a good flat iron. And after you got all of that down and are STILL having problems, it may just be the flat iron you're using. What type of plates do your flat iron have? You also don't know what the exact temperature your flat iron was on because it uses a number scale of 1-5. Who know, maybe the flat iron was not even hot enough. I know people are afraid of heat damage but you do actually need the heat to make your hair straight. Just not scorching hot temps.

I agree with everyone else. You need to do the chase method. I do it using a denman brush to ensure that my hair comes out bone straight. I also only use an oil in my hair after rinsing my deep conditioner. I never have greasy hair or end up with heat damage.

Also make sure your ends aren't damaged.

Last edited:
Maybe you your hair wasn't fully dry that happens to my ng it feels dry on the outside but the flat iron tells all. I get that fried feeling.

I think your DC had too much protein for you to be all natural and trying to flat iron right after that. When I flat iron I always do an all moisture DC. Then I do a protein DC after I flat iron. I always try to get as much moisture into my hair before I flat iron. That usually leaves me with silky results.
Some other things that may have been wrong was your actual flat iron technique. Small sections and comb chase method is key to a good flat iron. And after you got all of that down and are STILL having problems, it may just be the flat iron you're using. What type of plates do your flat iron have? You also don't know what the exact temperature your flat iron was on because it uses a number scale of 1-5. Who know, maybe the flat iron was not even hot enough. I know people are afraid of heat damage but you do actually need the heat to make your hair straight. Just not scorching hot temps.
You may be right. I was too lazy to do my Aphogee treatment so I put protein in my DC. The iron has ceramic plates but I don't use it often because of the temperature settings.

I agree with everyone else. You need to do the chase method. I do it using a denman brush to ensure that my hair comes out bone straight. I also only use an oil in my hair after rinsing my deep conditioner. I never have greasy hair or end up with heat damage.

Also make sure your ends aren't damaged.
I did the chase method with the denman in some areas. Also, I used the argan oil treatment & a leave in when detangling before the blowdry.

KurlyNinja said:

I agree with this.

1. Moisturizing DC
2. Moisturizing heat protectant
3. Small sections
4. Ceramic flat iron w/ variable temps (one pass on 375-400)

After all this time I finally realized that my natural hair is easy to comb/flat iron if it is properly moisturized. Anytime my hair was difficult to comb/flat iron it was my own fault. Once I learned how to bring my hair up to the correct moisture levels during the shampooing process my hair becomes like butter! I will never look back. I do a deep conditioner like PATCHOULI85's suggested,then shampoo with Black Soap then abracadabra easy breezy hair...Ready for Blow Drying/Flat Ironing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXFgoTT1mU8&feature=plcp

cocomama, by far this is the best flat iron tutorial I've seen on YouTube and trust there are a lot of flat iron tutorials out there :look:. I wish she updated her channel more.

So, you deep condition before shampoo? Do you wet your hair first or do it on dry hair? I've been thinking about shampooinng, apply my conditioner and deep condition overnight. I will follow up in the morning by rinsing out the conditioner, add a dollop of heat protectant and then flat ironing.

Love Always I have done this method both on dry as well as hair that has been lightly misted. Either way worked! Matter of fact I'm doing it on my husband's hair now. If he let's me flat iron his hair I will post pics LOL!:grin:
If not, I will get my hair flat ironed in about a month using this method. For me, I had to learn the hard way to follow all directions! The first time I did this method, I didn't braid my hair before blow drying and my hair was a puff in no time!

I can write about this all day... I have learned ALOT when it comes to MOISTURE. If your hair doesn't detangle like BUTTER, DO NOT PROCEED TO blowdrying. You won't get your best flat iron. That's one of the ways you know if the moisture is right. Anyway, I'm currently working on a long post about this. I should be finish with it in a week or two. Even though the before DC is the Big Joker in this flat iron game, there are definitely more Big spades that will help you win the flat ironing game on naturals ONCE AND for ALL!!!!:lachen:

Love Always I wished she would update more as well! I would love to know if she is still using the exact same method or has evolve to using other steps or products for that matter.

OP, thanks for posting this. I've been flirting with the idea of flat ironing too. The video was great! She did it all in one pass, which is excellent and, I think VERY important to avoid burning the hair! Lots of great advice here.

Back