Finger combing and baby brushes ?!?!

Danniquin

This question has been puzzling me since the start of my HHJ: How in the world can you finger comb air-dried hair into a bun?

When my hair is air dried I look like a lion:lachen: even with the scarf method, there is no way I can finger comb my hair into a bun without it looking like it belongs on Raggedy Ann!

I'm stretching my relaxer right now and I have like 4 months worth of new growth, so I was looking up tips on stretching and someone said finger combing there hair into a bun helps them stretch, and another said they only use a baby brush :ohwell: ?!?!

I'm just so confused hahaha how is that possible, really a baby brush?

I need you guys to give me tutorials, pictures, and other input on how you get your hair into a bun with only your hands.

Personally I use a brush and I think I'm going to continue with it.

LittleLuxe

I don't have any evidence (sorry) but I think this comes down to how one's hair looks, how thick it is, density etc. etc. I haven't used a brush in months (might purchase one soon) because my hair tends to dry smoothly. A little fluffy but nothing too difficult. Once I use the end of a rattail comb to separate my strands they're straight and smooth.

omachine

can you re-wet your hair, add product and then manipulate it...i use my hands and lots of conditioner, gel and oil to smooth my hair into pigtails, twist, a bun...but always on moist or wet hair...i would experience too much breakage on dry hair...and believe it or not, my hair tends to stay detangled longer after being finger combed than when i used a comb or brush...goodluck!

PatTodd

My hair is 3c curly. When I want to bun it from airdried, I dampen my hair and sort of scrape it back into a bun. I don't try to run my fingers through it. If it is lumpy on top I smooth the top layer lightly with a fine tooth comb. Then I tie it down tight with a scarf until it dries nice and smooth.

My hair is fine (not thin) and I have only used a soft man's boar brush or a baby brush on my hair for YEARS.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I've also wondered this but here's the easiest ways I've found---

Wet bun -- while in the shower, allow the water to control the direction of hair which enables bunning with ease b/c all strands are laying flat and smooth.

Damp bun -- same as above except I tshirt dry for about 5 mins, m&s without disturbing the hair too much then bun. After my hair has completely dried, I apply a thicker coating of the m&s process b/c dry hair is stronger and easier to manipulate and I can disturb the hair more to get deep into the roots/scalp area, etc.

Dry hair -- When I work with my hair in large sections, I can never get the strands to smooth out -- end result is usually a smooth top layer and a puffy strands going in many directions for the underneath layers. To combat this, I part hair in 4 sections, then part those 4 sections into 2 sections; you should end up with 8 sections total. M&S and really concentrate on smoothing the strands by rubbing fingers across and thru each section. Working with your hair in smaller sections enables you to smooth the strands/cuticles so that when you're done, all strands are detangled and can be easily manipulated to form a bun.

I'm on a no comb reggie so I never use a comb and rarely use a brush b/c even boar bristle brushes yank at my hair. I might try the baby brush idea though as it sounds like it would be gentle to the hair. After I've gotten hair in bun, I spritz it with water and take a toothbrush that I use solely for my hair to smooth over the top layer of my hair. A toothbrush is gentle and don't yank out my hair. The downside is that it won't cover large areas but it gets the job done. I scarf my hair for abou 5-10mins and the end result, a sleek looking bun.

HTH!