finger combers.. do you feel ..

femmemuscle

For those who finger comb their hair. Do you feel as if you're not losing as much hair than when you're using a large wide tooth comb?

I've been reading quite a few threads on a couple of forums regarding this. The responses range from "not losing as much hair, as with a comb" to "not losing any hair at all." How can one "not lose ANY hair", regardless of their method?

When i saw that i got paranoid..:ohwell:

I'm having to work with my natural hair now, which is 4a/b and fine. And when i have to re-bantu every night or every other night, with finger combing, i tend to have shedded hair.. between maybe 30-40 strands.. is this normal?

I use a wide tooth comb first and then i finger comb afterwards just to make sure all shed hairs are gone. i do believe some combs and brushes make u lose more hair than you should.

30 -40 strands every other night mite be normal for u. i shed about the same if not slightly more but ive always shed like a dog especially in summer.

Hey Femme!

Well, when I finger comb (in the shower), sometimes I really don't lose any hairs. Other times when I finger comb in the shower I lose some hair, but it is considerably less hair than if I were to be combing with my wide toothed comb. (ETA - That is why I stopped using a comb alltogether... wet or dry.) It's not consistent for me. Some days I lose none, other days lose a few.

I try not to finger comb my hair at all dry, but when I do, I usually lose some hairs too. Shed hairs.

Maybe it is your shedding time?

Last edited:
I think anyone not losing any hair isn't finger combing properly. To fully finger comb, you have to separate your hair into individual strands like I do. (I demo-ed this on YT.)

As long as your hair is growing normally, you are shedding up to 100 hairs a day. If you say you aren't shedding any, I bet my bottom dollar the day you comb your hair with a fine tooth comb, you'll make up for the days you thought you were not shedding.

I shed the same amount when I finger comb as when I use a comb.

When I fingercomb in the shower I get my average amount of shed hairs 75-100, and a very tiny amount of breakage (I can get 0 if I take my time)...

Ive noticed that when I fingercomb dry, I get almost no breakage but I still get my average amount of shed hair...This is actually the amount of shed hair I got today dry detangling, its a lil less than normal, but I think shedding amounts vary on everyones head...

2py5oqx.jpg

I agree with Nonie, it could be VERY POSSIBLE, that you are just not catching all of your shed hair...

For those who finger comb their hair. Do you feel as if you're not losing as much hair than when you're using a large wide tooth comb?

I've been reading quite a few threads on a couple of forums regarding this. The responses range from "not losing as much hair, as with a comb" to "not losing any hair at all." How can one "not lose ANY hair", regardless of their method?

When i saw that i got paranoid..:ohwell:

I'm having to work with my natural hair now, which is 4a/b and fine. And when i have to re-bantu every night or every other night, with finger combing, i tend to have shedded hair.. between maybe 30-40 strands.. is this normal?

The main reason I finger comb is to remove the shed hairs without breaking my ends. That being said, I lose the same amount of hair as if I were using a comb. HOWEVER, I do not have any breakage from finger combing. No matter how careful I am with a comb, I always have broken hairs here and there. The only thing that comes out of my head when finger combing (and I do this out of the shower in front of a mirror) are shed hairs; no broken hairs.

I have finger combed before and only lost shed hairs for the most part but it took way too long so for me, I had to consider what was more important, time or a few broken strands. Time is more important for me so I now use a wide tooth comb and just accept the minimal breakage that comes along with it. The process is faster and keeps my hair detangled much better than finger combing. Yes, I get a few broken strands every now and then from combing but I don't stress over it.

thanks ladies!

i have so much to learn from my hair journey... and thank you for the pic.. that's about how much i lose on a daily basis.. either with a wide tooth or finger combing.

I also lose abt that amt shown in thepic, maybejust a bit more. I combmyhair 1 time per week

finger combing renders a bit less hair than using a comb for me

yeah i think your not just catching all the shed hairs...i prefer finger combing for less manipulation and better curl definition, and i definitely lose less hair detangling with my fingers...i only do it on wet hair that has conditioner in it...when i do it on dry hair its a mess w/ and without a wide tooth comb

I tried finger combing for the first time this AM and was pleasantly surprised that I had no breakage at all. I set my hair on large rollers and when I took them out, my curls were full and bouncy. I reached for the comb but instantly put it back and started to finger comb, but not much because I didn't want to upset the way my curls were falling. I think this is something that I will continue to do.

I'm transitioning, so I only finger comb the new growth and shower comb the texlaxed hair. I find that I have about 90-95% less hair in the comb than when I used a shower comb to comb thru both textures. Now I only see the small amount of shedding that I should naturally have. Love finger combing :up:

There's no way that a combing method can stop you from shedding. I think people just aren't putting their thoughts out clearly. It seems to me that they maybe trying to say they don't loose any hair through breakage when finger combing as opposed to when using a comb. Either that, or like they other ladies said, they aren't getting their shed hairs out.

I mostly fingercomb, but when I do comb I get 3 types of hair in the comb. 1) broken hairs 2) shed hairs and 3) Hair that's been pulled/plucked out from the root through the force applied by combing (very little, but it happens every now and then)

When I fingercomb, I pretty much only get the shed hairs.

With the advice of LeFemme, I've decided to finger-detangle on dry hair for a few months and see what happens. I've been very lazy with my hair lately so I'm looking for ways to shorten my regimen and decrease breakage. As of now, I don't use a comb at all. I'm almost 15 months post relaxer.

With the advice of LeFemme, I've decided to finger-detangle on dry hair for a few months and see what happens. I've been very lazy with my hair lately so I'm looking for ways to shorten my regimen and decrease breakage. As of now, I don't use a comb at all. I'm almost 15 months post relaxer.

I haven't used a comb in a month, and I have found that I don't really need one. The downside is that it takes longer to detangle my hair (about 3 hours) just using conditioner and my fingers prior to washing. After I wash and deep condition, it's a breeze - so it's worth it!

When I was speaking about less hair in the comb I thought it was obvious that the other 90% was something other than shed hair, such as breakage. That's why I said I only see the hair that sheds in the comb now. Sorry if that was difficult to understand. :ohwell:

Last edited:
i finger comb twice a week. i do lose hair but not as much as i use to when i combed. i finger comb on wet hair using v05 conditioner. it does not take me hours to complete the process, at the most, maybe 20 minutes. when i used a comb my hair seemed to tangle again almost immediately after the process. but, with finger combing, my hair remains detangle hours, sometimes a day or two after the process.

Back