Fine/Fragile Hair Ladies!!

FlawedBeauty

Looking for products or suggestions on how to keep fine hair strengthened. My hair is soooo fine and fragile anf was wonderin if any poo's or conditioners have worked for anyone to make their hair stronger. TIA!

OneInAMillion

Products containing protein will help with this. Have you tried mild protein conditioners (Keraphix, Dudley's Cream Protein)?

I cheap and helpful trick I learned for strengthening = Apple Cider Vinegar rinses. There are many threads about diluting this with water and rinsing your hair with this after shampooing to add strength.

I'm sure others can add more helpful products...

FlawedBeauty

OneInAMillion said:
Products containing protein will help with this. Have you tried mild protein conditioners (Keraphix, Dudley's Cream Protein)?

I cheap and helpful trick I learned for strengthening = Apple Cider Vinegar rinses. There are many threads about diluting this with water and rinsing your hair with this after shampooing to add strength.

I'm sure others can add more helpful products...

thanks! u use duotex but i am afraid to use it too often because i'm afaid it will make my hair break off as i have dry hair. my mother has very fine limp hair as well, she's white, but i got my dads texture and dryness if that makes sense. i wonder if the duotex is ok to use once a week??

OneInAMillion

FlawedBeauty said:
thanks! u use duotex but i am afraid to use it too often because i'm afaid it will make my hair break off as i have dry hair. my mother has very fine limp hair as well, she's white, but i got my dads texture and dryness if that makes sense. i wonder if the duotex is ok to use once a week??

You know, I'm not positive about using Duo Tex. I tried it once and it did nothing major. I would recommend using a creamy protein, as I think they may be more mild...

Radianthealth

I have fine hair and I use protein often. I use ORS or Silk Elements Hair Mayonaise about once or twice per week. I use a stronger protein like Aphogee Keratin Reconstructor or Nexxus Emergencee about once per week. My hair does well with protien, but I make sure to use tons of moisture afterwards so that my hair doesn't get too hard and tangle.

I usually do a prepoo protein treatment, I wash my hair with Cream of Nature Shampoo then I do a moisturizing conditioner like Silk Elements, VO5, or Suave Humectress mixed with Olive Oil and Vegetable Glycerine. I keep the moisturizing conditioner on for at least an hour. I sit under the heating cap or just wear it overnight. I rinse the conditioner then I do an Apple Cider Vinegar rinse.

This has been very helpful. I also do scalp massages with essential oils and I baggy using castor oil. I have heard that castor oil is great for making your hair thicker. I haven't seen any results yet.

I have also heard good things about black castor oil, but I haven't tried it yet.

Good Luck!:)

JustKiya

I have VERY fine fragile hair - that was damaged through bleaching and dying - and the one product that has worked the BEST for me has been Henna. It's made my hair thicker and MUCH stronger.

KiniKakes

I do the big Aphogee treatment every 9-10 weeks (1 week following a touch-up). I use the ORS Mayonaise every other week as a pre-poo.

I sometimes use the Jamaican Black Castor Oil as well, since ive heard that helps thicken the strands. MTG and Biotin also helped thickened the strands........... but Im on a MTG hiatus because its wreaked havoc on my skin (ie, rash/dryness/scaly).

But i digres.... back to strengthening........ I dont know what to tell you. I stretch my relaxers which of course helps to avoid overlap, which ultimately will strengthen your hair. And of course getting plenty of protein in your diet and so forth.....

HTH.

Cayenne0622

Henna definitely made my hair thicker and stronger after one application. I have to adjust myself to dealing with a sort of different head of hair. I'm bunning my hair but I'll be excited to wear it down after my next relaxer to really see the difference Henna has made.

scorpian

When I was an assistant at a hair salon Nexxus Diamatress was the shampoo that we used for all of the fine haired ladies to add fullness
I found a description for it on NexTag.com
Diametress Luscious Hair Thickening Shampoo is enriched with Panthenol (Vitamin B-5), proteins and ionically charged NexxuSpheres to build thickness and incredible body into every hair strand. These remarkable ingredients contribute to the increased diameter of the hairshaft, adding fullness to any head of hair. An abundance of Proteins and time released Vegetable Ceramides give hair tremendous strength and increased sheen. Sensational results when used on baby fine, limp or thin hair

length4me

I have very fine hair as well. I use the Aveda Damage Remedy Treatment and Conditioner. I also use Aphogee every 7 weeks. I follow this up with plenty of moisture though.

HighlyFavored1

Cayenne0622 said:
Henna definitely made my hair thicker and stronger after one application. I have to adjust myself to dealing with a sort of different head of hair. I'm bunning my hair but I'll be excited to wear it down after my next relaxer to really see the difference Henna has made.

So you didn't see any negative results of doing a henna treatment on fine, relaxed hair? Did it also make your hair darker?

AtlantaJJ

scorpian said:
When I was an assistant at a hair salon Nexxus Diamatress was the shampoo that we used for all of the fine haired ladies to add fullness
I found a description for it on NexTag.com
Diametress Luscious Hair Thickening Shampoo is enriched with Panthenol (Vitamin B-5), proteins and ionically charged NexxuSpheres to build thickness and incredible body into every hair strand. These remarkable ingredients contribute to the increased diameter of the hairshaft, adding fullness to any head of hair. An abundance of Proteins and time released Vegetable Ceramides give hair tremendous strength and increased sheen. Sensational results when used on baby fine, limp or thin hair
Does fullness = strength? Just curious, I've always wondered about volume adding shampoo and conditioners...do they just swell the hair shaft up or do they actually add conditioning agents.

scorpian

Don't know if fullness = strength Guess it depends on the shampoo some shampoos coat the hairstrand to make it appear thicker and the effects last from shampoo to shampoo

Nexxus has protein that strengthens the hair so this keeps your hair strong if you have fine hair that's prone to breakage

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Products that keep my fine/fragile hair strong:
Garnier Fructis Length & Strength Shampoo
LeKair Cholesterol Plus Conditioning Cream (orange color)
Parnevu T-tree Growth Creme
Blue Magic Coconut Oil Grease

joyous

nappywomyn said:
I have VERY fine fragile hair and the one product that has worked the BEST for me has been Henna. It's made my hair thicker and MUCH stronger.

This has worked for me too.

Last edited:

Softresses

Henna has worked the best for my fine hair as well. The protein treatments seem to have been too strong for my hair. Others have told me though that there is a balance you have to strike between the protein and moisture. It works really well for some.

If you need I have some saved info in my journal from old posts about balances with the different treatments.

HTH
Softresses

I fixed the link (I accidentally had it locked).

Last edited:

bablou00

My hair is very fragile and fine due to wearing braids for so long and not taking care of my hair. I use Giovanni Nutrafix reconstructor once a week and deep condition my hair w/ Queen Helene Cholesterol twice a week. The protein is real light but I love it because harder proteins make my hair break. I deep condition to keep a balance. Hope this helps

Armyqt

I have fine fragile hair and I can't take too much protein. On top of that my hair is naturally dry. What I've found that works best for me is Aubreys GPB and ACV rinses for strengthening the hair.

I've also used Motions Silk Protein CO and leave in with pretty good results. I'm still trying to figure out how to get bling shine tho. :p

CynamonKis

Flawed Beauty, welcome to my world!

My hair is baby-fine, and has always been fragile. For this reason, I no longer relax my hair. Also, I have successfully dealt with this problem via HENNA, and DRC 28 protein treatments.

Henna not only colors my hair, but provides strength, loosens the curl for a couple of days, and provides shine. DRC 28 protein treatment is along the lines of Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair, but is FAR superior for strengthing purposes, and also far more expensive. I credit this product with saving my hair from totally falling out when I fell victim to a stylist's mishap in 2003. I was able to restore my hair to health without going thru a "big chop" with this product.

I hope this helps.

FlawedBeauty said:
Looking for products or suggestions on how to keep fine hair strengthened. My hair is soooo fine and fragile anf was wonderin if any poo's or conditioners have worked for anyone to make their hair stronger. TIA!

Cayenne0622

HighlyFavored1 said:
So you didn't see any negative results of doing a henna treatment on fine, relaxed hair? Did it also make your hair darker?

No real negative results. My only thing was some dryness that followed the treatment. My hair is fine now though. I plan to use it again a week after I do my relaxer. My hair is darker. I did 2/3 henna, 1/3 indigo. I'll probably do half and half next time because I like the darkness.

CynamonKis

Hi Cayenne - what I have done to combat the dryness associated with henna was to mix 1 tbsp avocado oil into my mixture (50 gms. henna). Also, I followup the treatment with tropical avocado conditioner. When i do these two things I never experience dryness.

Cayenne0622 said:
No real negative results. My only thing was some dryness that followed the treatment. My hair is fine now though. I plan to use it again a week after I do my relaxer. My hair is darker. I did 2/3 henna, 1/3 indigo. I'll probably do half and half next time because I like the darkness.

CynamonKis

Hi Armyqt I haven't seen you in a while but MY OH MY your hair has really grown!

Armyqt said:
I have fine fragile hair and I can't take too much protein. On top of that my hair is naturally dry. What I've found that works best for me is Aubreys GPB and ACV rinses for strengthening the hair.

I've also used Motions Silk Protein CO and leave in with pretty good results. I'm still trying to figure out how to get bling shine tho. :p

Last edited: