FINALLY BC'ED!!! **pics included**

canadiangirly

FINALLY BC'ED!!!

Finally Chopped off last bits of damaged/chemical hair
I cut off the last pieces of damaged ends (heat and chemical damage) and to my surprise- my natural hair has a few copper highlights- is that damage or normal? I would love to stay natural but will most likely texturize/texlax one day because my natural kinky/curly/coily hair does not work with my active/running lifestyle (i cannot keep a style past 1 mile of running/sweating & my natural hair is so much work, I thought it would be less work/hours then my chemically treated hair).

I transitioned for 15 months in loose single braid extensions (mid-September 2009- mid December 2010). I kept the braids in for 3 months at a time. I took out the braids only to thoroughly wash/condition & put braids back in the same or the next day. I got 7-8 inches of new growth in 15 months.

I am back in braids now and will probably wear them for 2-3 months. I'll update once I decide what to do next with my hair journey.

Happy Growing!!! & Merry Christmas!!!

Last edited:

Iluvsmuhgrass

Congrats on your BC! ITA do what makes you happy! :yep: And I LOVE the color of your hair. When I was younger my hair did that during the summer only it was more of a dark auburn.

canadiangirly

Thanks Guys!!! I'm gonna give my natural hair a fair shot before deciding on chems. If I wasn't active then I would definetly keep it natural. The thing for me is I love the idea of being natural and if I put chems in I feel bad like I'm letting people down and giving in lol, but I know that's stupid and I should only do what works for me. Thanks again!

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Beautiful!! Congrats on your chop. you know, my crown area has reddish brown areas. I'm thinking its because I catch rays with my sunroof as much as possible. Do you do this?

bride91501

Congrats OP on your BC! Your hair is beautiful and your retention has been on point; I hope you enjoy your journey.

I agree with you that you should definitely do what makes you happy, but just know that your natural texture does not have to hold you back from your fitness goals. Actually, being fit is a reason many women of color decide to go natural in the first place- to free themseleves from having to maintain the "salon look" all the time. I'm also natural, and work out HARD (Sean T, P90X, running, etc.) 5-6 days a week, so I'm proof it can definitely be done. Just wanted to mention that.

HHG!

Leeda.the.Paladin

Congrats on your BC!

As someone who has participated in 5ks and triathlon (and therefore a lot of running, biking, and swimming) natural hair is IDEAL for my active lifestyle. I can't imagine trying to do all I do with a relaxer.

Of course if you want to relax that is your decision, but please look into natural styles that will compliment your running, etc.

Congrats again, your hair is lush!!

canadiangirly

Beautiful!! Congrats on your chop. you know, my crown area has reddish brown areas. I'm thinking its because I catch rays with my sunroof as much as possible. Do you do this?

Thanks!!! Well my hair has been covered in braids for 15 months. I only took them out every 2-3 months to wash/condition and rebraid. So no direct sun but i guess the sun could still reach my hair since its being braided with the extensions.

canadiangirly

Congrats on your BC!

As someone who has participated in 5ks and triathlon (and therefore a lot of running, biking, and swimming) natural hair is IDEAL for my active lifestyle. I can't imagine trying to do all I do with a relaxer.

Of course if you want to relax that is your decision, but please look into natural styles that will compliment your running, etc.

Congrats again, your hair is lush!!

Thank you! I've been stalking your fotki and blog for some time now and your hair is so so gorgeous! I will definetly look into ways to keep my hair with running and sweating etc. I also want to run races and make activity apart of my life- and lose weight and as it stands my hair looks awful after I workout and I don't have much time to wash and style after a workout, but I'm new to natural hair so I'm gonna keep researching, etc. :yawn:

ZkittyKurls

congrats!!!! i am happy for you. your natural hair is beautiful!! what if you consider braiding or twisting your natural hair for a while to see if they compliment your active lifestyle? nevertheless we support your decision on whatever you decide to do in here. healthy hair is ultimately what we r all about, regardless if you are relaxed, texlaxed or natural. :) good luck and keep us posted!