Film: Soulmate

PaperClip

LOS ANGELES, CA (EnvisionPR.com) – Clean Heart Productions releases the documentary film, SOULMATE, nationwide this fall. SOULMATE is a gripping cinematic journey into the realities facing today’s successful, saved, single African-American women. According to the 2004 U.S. Census, 42.3% of all African-American women have never been married. This staggering statistic is one of many reflected throughout this deeply personal portrait which reveals the trials and triumphs of unforgettable women while offering hope and practical advice on issues such as loneliness, the desire for sexual intimacy and the ticking biological clock. Having already received rave reviews from private screenings across the country, acclaimed veteran television writer/producer and founder of Clean Heart Productions, Andrea Wiley, has produced a revolutionary film which she hopes will not only impact the body of Christ, but popular culture as well.
SOUMATE brings you face to face with the stark realities facing today’s single, professional African American women such as:
  • Black women are five times more likely to remain single at 40 than white women.
  • Unlike any other race, Black women have higher educational attainment than black men.
  • The more money and education a black woman has, the less likely she is to ever get married or have children.
  • Almost 70% of all new cases of HIV/AIDS are black women.
  • AIDS is the number one killer of black women between the ages of 25 and 44.
Beyond the friends and associates that gathered to share their journeys, SOULMATE offers insight and wisdom on coping with singleness in a God-centered way from some of the nation’s most dynamic Christian leaders: Bishop Kenneth C. Ulmer, senior pastor of Faithful Central Bible Church in Inglewood, CA—of which 66% of his 11,000 plus membership are singles; speaker, singer, former advertising agent and New York Times best selling author of Sassy, Single and Satisfied, Michelle McKinney Hammond; Rev. Dr. Cynthia Hale, senior pastor of Ray of Hope Christian Church in Decatur, GA; actress/comedienne Sherri Shepherd; and senior pastor Donald Bell of Covenant Blessing Fellowship Church, Gardena, CA, among others.
"Soulmate gives voice to the thoughts of successful, single women who love God, but desire a mate. Each opinion shared by the interviewees speaks to the heart and soul of every single woman. The advice given is insightful and necessary, and the reflections are heart wrenching and real. I recommend that Soulmate be viewed not only by singles, but by churches across the country so that spiritual leadership can get a clearer picture of the challenges single Christian women face on a daily basis,” comments Kimberley Brooks, author of He's Fine...But is He Saved?
For those still waiting to exhale, SOULMATE penetrates the myriad of emotions felt by women at pivotal moments and stages in their lives. This inspiring film also offers some surprising revelations about the quest for one’s true - Soulmate.
Soulmate is available for purchase at http://www.soulmatefilm.com/.
To book or sponsor a DVD screening, please send your request to [email protected]. For all media inquiries, including interview and speaking requests, please contact Candace D. Reese via email at [email protected] or via phone at (678) 754-8881.
ABOUT ANDREA WILEY
Andrea Wiley has enjoyed successful careers in both corporate and entertainment industries. As an acclaimed television writer/producer and screenwriter, she has amassed a body of work that includes numerous high profile network comedy series’, including “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,” starring Will Smith, “The Parent Hood,” The Jamie Foxx Show,” “The Steve Harvey Show,” “Malcolm and Eddie” and most recently, “The Parkers,” starring Mo’nique, on which she served as the Executive Producer. Wiley is the director and producer of her fourth documentary, entitled Soulmate, and has formed her own Los Angeles production company, Clean Heart Productions. The film web site is http://www.soulmatefilm.com/.
MEDIA CONTACTCandace D. Reese
Envision Consulting Services, Inc.
[email protected]

crlsweetie912

Ohhh, thanks for sharing. I would like to have this for myself. Maybe we could do a screening at our church for the singles ministry. WOW, this is great! :)

Belle Du Jour

I remember someone posted about this video months ago, but it wasn't out yet. The trailer looks interested and I'll probably order it.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I don't know guys. I didn't get a good feeling while watching the trailer. I understand that they are keeping it real, but it seems like someone who is desiring and waiting on a mate could get depressed from watching that. Shoot, I'm married and it was kind of depressing.

If you do watch it, don't let it get you down. Forget those statistics--God can override any statistic out there!

Bunny77

Supergirl said:
I don't know guys. I didn't get a good feeling while watching the trailer. I understand that they are keeping it real, but it seems like someone who is desiring and waiting on a mate could get depressed from watching that. Shoot, I'm married and it was kind of depressing.

If you do watch it, don't let it get you down. Forget those statistics--God can override any statistic out there!

Agreed on all points! It seems like the intentions of the movie are good, but I watched the trailer and thought, "Wow, this is really sad."

I guess I figure that black women know the reality already... I'd rather hear some good "solutions" and advice about making the most of one's singlehood and staying encouraged about your desire to be married.

fivefoursweetie

classimami713 said:
I remember someone posted about this video months ago, but it wasn't out yet.
Yeah, my brother had ordered the DVD. This was actually about almost a year ago. He never received it. I have to tell him that it is finished now.

Choclatcotton

Im sorry i have to agree with Supergirl it did seem a bit depressing, I have hits all the time its just having the right one God is very particular with THE KINGS Daughters.

pebbles

Supergirl said:

Yeah, it was a bit sad, wasn't it? So many women of quality out there and where are the men? :confused:

But as you said, God can override any statistic out there!:)

Belle Du Jour

The 52 year old woman who was simply BREATHTAKING and said she had never been married just broke my heart. I don't claim that reality for my life, but it is something to think about. I'm looking forward to seeing the video.

Last edited:

PaperClip

Supergirl said:

I thought about your remark here.... I've expressed my tug-of-war thinking regarding this film. On one hand, it's finally being discussed and yet on the other hand, it seems that there is simply no hope. For those who have been blessed to be married, I'm sure you all may feel grateful that you have somebody.... I'm rambling a bit but I guess I'm saying that that kind of thinking can come off as pitying single women.... Pity is neither healthy nor productive nor useful. One of several ways that my married sisters have shown their support to me is not only by praying and agreeing for and with me regarding my soulmate, but two of them have done more by introducting me to potential suitors. This is not an easy thing to do because of the possibility of a ruined friendship or hooking me up with a crazy person (Ha!) but that also showed me that they think of me in a good way to want to let somebody else get to know me. In one situation, the dude stopped calling me after he met me (he was 43!) and in the other case, the dude has promised his cousin (who introduced us) that he would "rectify" the situation with me (sorta still waiting on that.... I kinda liked him:look:). So like I said, I'm rambling....

DDHair

How ironic I just looked at this last week, cause I am always getting the emails and just decided to peep it out, although I have had it since August. I had a discussion about it and it is very sad to me.

firecracker

Supergirl said:

I agree with the above:)

firecracker

pebbles said:
Louder please! I can't hear y'all!! LOL!! :lol:

Ok!:lachen: :lachen: Blkman there are plenty women waiting to yell back "I's married to a good black man now!" :lachen: So get them fools off the back of the wall. Ain't no wallflowers allowed!

pebbles

firecracker said:
Ok!:lachen: :lachen: Blkman there are plenty women waiting to yell back "I's married to a good black man now!" :lachen: So get them fools off the back of the wall. Ain't no wallflowers allowed!

LOL! For real! They need to get moving, fast! Some of us sisters are just barely hanging in there! Lord, help! :lol:

cocoberry10

Supergirl said:

I agree with you and I'm not married. I think negative thinking in any situation only makes the situation worse, regardless of what it is.

cocoberry10

Although I do not plan to view this movie (not for any particular reason), I did go to the site to see what it was about. Two of the participants Valerie and Jerome Clayton wrote a book called Victory in Singleness: A Strategy for Emotional Peace. I did read that book a few years ago, and found it to be excellent. I don't normally recommend books, but this one was great. I would even recommend it to non-saved/non-Christian people, because it talks about issues in a non-accusatory manner, but really makes you think. In fact, the issues discussed in the book are so true to life, even married people could really benefit from the book as they still struggle with many of the areas discussed.

The book is broken into three areas/emotions. Authors id envy, discouragement and bitterness that many women, in particular, experience while facing prolonged singleness. Although I'm still in my early/mid 20's, I found this book to be a good help for life issues in general. There's also a good amount of reference to scripture.

TrustMeLove

I watched the trailer..and all that said to me..was..well if you want to get married..maybe it's time to start looking outside of your race. Now if you have a problem witht hat..than..yea..you might be one of the statistics.

I am open to whatever God has for me.

Belle Du Jour

^^ The whole interracial thing was mentioned but it was not the main focus of the video at ALL. In fact, of all the married ladies they showed, only one was married to a white man. Just FYI.