Feeling kinda discouraged...

atl_mulattamami

I've been feeling kinda discouraged lately. Like I'll never reach my hair goal. I used to have really long relaxed hair (waist length!!!) and now it's very short and natural. When I press my hair it is about shoulder length (maybe a tad bit longer). I am going for a goal of mid-back length hair when stretched. The problem is not breakage or anything because I take really good care of my hair and it's super healthy. The problem is that I feel like it grows sooo slow. People have said it's grown a lot since I cut it but I honestly don't see it. Everytime I press it people say "wow it's growing sooo fast!" or "your hair is growing back in really nicely." But I SERIOUSLY don't see it. My hair grew to waist length when I didn't take care of it/didn't think about it and now that it's natural and I'm babying the hell (excuse my French) out of it it seems like it isn't growing at all. Maybe I just watch it too much. Who knows.

Here are before and after pictures.
1)The first two pictures are from when I had long relaxed hair
2)The last two pictures are from now that I'm natural (one is pressed one is my natural curly puff)

Attachments

• heather1.jpg
    heather1.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 39
  • heather and mom 2.jpg
    heather and mom 2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 37
  • jun05puff2.jpg
    jun05puff2.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 41
  • octpress2.jpg
    octpress2.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 34

MeruAray2

You know they say a watched pot never boils. It's hard to do, but try not to concentrate on the hair so much. I think a lot of times we get so obsessed by it that we are constantly messing with it, therefore causing it to not grow.
Good Luck Sweets.

tlmack

Your hair is absolutely gorgeous curly. I love it!

I know it is easy to be discouraged. I am too. So, I don't have any advice, but I can say you're not alone. Everone on the hair board is here to support you.

:)

Try switching a routine. Right now I'm trying The Original M-T-G. It's been about 1 week, so I'll let you know. I'm mixing it with Peppermint Oil. I'm giving up my vits for awhile.

Try changing shampoos, or hair oil, or vitamins, or hair styles. Something will work.

Good Luck!

camellia

Your curls are just gorgous!!!

Hang in there, girl. Your hair looks so shiny and healthy, you must be doing something good. Even if it's growing slow, you know that it's growing.

Have you tried vitamins? I'm taking GNC Ultra nourshair now and I think it's really helping.

chocolate01

Don't feel discouraged, I think you have made excellent progess since your BC. I will agree that a watched pot never boils. As long as you focus on health, length will follow. Also if you have not already done so look at your diet, exercise and water habits. I had about 5 inches on natural hair when I chopped 3 months ago after 11 months of transitioning. That is an avg of under half an inch a month. Now I have 7 inches of hair, so that 2 inches in 3 months which is over half an inch a month. The only thing I have done differently is start being consistant with taking my muti-vitamin, drinking at least 64oz of water a day and exercising 3-4 times a week..things I was not doing during my transition. I didn't even notice it either until my mom made a comment about my nails and how long and healthy they looked. I couldn't figure out what I had done and then it hit me..it was my diet and lifestyle change. I can tell it is affecting my hair not only because of my growth but also my hair is not dry, it is soft and shiny. Lift your spirits and find a way to see how far you have come because I love your hair!

aileendq

Okay, I LOVE THE CURLS in your puff!! They are well defined and look so healthy and moist.

First of all, you know you won't see as much growth because of shrinkage. And pressing will only ruin your beautiful curls.

Don't be discouraged! Unless you are seeing alot of breakage then rest assured your hair is growing! Also, you may not notice as much because there's no distinction between the new growth and the rest of your hair now that you're natural...

Keep your head up...It's just a matter of time. :)

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
You are not alone....It is called Hairanorexia and I am currently recovering from it. :look:

I had been sooo obsessed with growing my hair out! I know that I've been taking care of it and know it is at it's healthiest point. So where's the length? Everybody was seeing it but me. It doesn't help to be in transition, because you are growing and loosing hair at the same time. Talk about torture! :(

The thing to do is change your mindstate. Set small goals. For example, I put myself on small challenges like protective styling for a month, then I go to bunning for another month, so on and so forth. I was actually stretching my pressings.

I agree with Caligirl, stay away from the comb, atleast for a while. It will become this vicious cycle of wanting to see your hair long and the only real way as a natural is to press it. Then you'll find yourself pressing more than usual or necessary which equals damage which completely wrecks all your hard work.

Keep your head up!

~op~

bluefolli

I see the changes in your hair. It is very full and growing at a nice rate. Take baby steps in your goal. Is there something else besides length that you are hoping to acheive? Maybe you can focus on that some more and with it will be the length.
BTW, put that straightening comb down. ;-)

atl_mulattamami

thanks for all the encouragement ladies i really needed it!:)

maybe ill put myself on a personal health challenge and that will make me focus on that instead of my hair! lord knows ive gained weight since this spring. i will incorporate this into my routine
1)exercise for 30-45 minutes 5 days a week
2)NO junkfood...i eat lots of fruit and yogurt so ill try and step up the vegetables as well
3)LOTS of water
4)take a multivitamin
5)start back taking my Barry Fletcher hair vitamins (basically its packed with B vitamins and protein)

this will also help me reach that weight goal that i was soooo close to but fell off the wagon and gained it back!

thanks for your kind words...it may not seem like much to you but this has actually inspired me! if i focus on my health more and my hair less (but of course still take care of it) then it will hopefully become a win-win situation!

THANKS soo much! :D

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
MeruAray2 said:
You know they say a watched pot never boils. It's hard to do, but try not to concentrate on the hair so much. I think a lot of times we get so obsessed by it that we are constantly messing with it, therefore causing it to not grow.
Good Luck Sweets.

She got a point there. I used to think the same way. It's just that your curly hair won't show length as readily as your relaxed. My way of dealing with it is measuring it every month. To me, when I look at my hair unstretched I only see a tiny bit of difference since I bc'd....but now that I'm measuring it, I keep track of the growth monthly and don't worry about it for the other 29 days.

Stay encouraged and baby your hair, it is looking very nice and healthy and it IS growing! ;)

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Atl, you are one of the many natural albums I frequent. The fact that u r shoulder length gives me hope. Hope that one day my naturally curly hair will be long. My relaxed hair was never waist length, but it was shoulder length w/o me caring for it. Keep up the good work. Your hair is gorgeous. :)

Lucia

I know how you feel, sometimes you feel like youre not making progress but ITA with the ladies you are making progress just keep your hair healthy and follow your regime and your hair will surprise you when you do straighten (not often I hope), luv the curls your hair looks really healthy and thick the longer lengths will come-I mean look you got there before you can do it again.
hth

atl_mulattamami

Natrlchallenge said:
Atl, you are one of the many natural albums I frequent. The fact that u r shoulder length gives me hope. Hope that one day my naturally curly hair will be long. My relaxed hair was never waist length, but it was shoulder length w/o me caring for it. Keep up the good work. Your hair is gorgeous. :)

oh wow i didn't know i had people who frequented my album! you have no idea how encouraging that is! thanks sooo much :kiss: