Extremely Frizzy Ends when Airdrying

Songbirdb

Okay, I'm relaxed (currently stretching) and I co-wash everyday, therefore I airdry everyday. I moisturize my ends with nothing but a little water and glycerin and seal with coconut oil. But how come my ends are terribly frizzy? They aren't split (trust me, I always check), but they are frizzy and dry feeling. The air here is very dry at this time (maybe this has something to do with it) and I'm just at a loss. I don't know what to do, it's driving me crazy. I don't think it's dryness, but I just don't know. Help me ladies. What should I do? Anything would be helpful.

:whyme:

The hair needs something smooth in order for the ends to airdry smooth. I airdry in a rollerset, using the smooth magnetic rollers, to get my hair and ends very smooth and straight. Some rollerset and use indirect heat under a dryer.

I haven't wrapped my hair yet but some of the ladies dry their hair this way for smoothness. The ladies here may share more techniques I haven't tried yet. :)

Thanks for the replies thus far. I meant to mention, I've have smooth results with rollersets, but I don't want to do them right now. They are alot of manipulation for me, take alot of time, and are the only time I notice breakage. Anything I can do besides rollersets and wrapping? (I'm terrified to wrap my hair. When I wasn't stretching, I had breakage, so I know I'll have it now that I'm stretching).

Okay, I'm relaxed (currently stretching) and I co-wash everyday, therefore I airdry everyday. I moisturize my ends with nothing but a little water and glycerin and seal with coconut oil. But how come my ends are terribly frizzy? They aren't split (trust me, I always check), but they are frizzy and dry feeling. The air here is very dry at this time (maybe this has something to do with it) and I'm just at a loss. I don't know what to do, it's driving me crazy. I don't think it's dryness, but I just don't know. Help me ladies. What should I do? Anything would be helpful.

this used to happen to me when i was above shoulder length.

when you grow beyond shoulder this will change

My hair is frizzy or puffed if I air dry without wrappin it. After washing and conditioning, I wrap my hair in a circular pattern around my head and let it air dry. While it is wet, I seal my ends with coconut oil. I never use a dryer. When it is completely dry it is straight as a whistle. ( toot toot )

My hair is frizzy or puffed if I air dry without wrappin it. After washing and conditioning, I wrap my hair in a circular pattern around my head and let it air dry. While it is wet, I seal my ends with coconut oil. I never use a dryer. When it is completely dry it is straight as a whistle. ( toot toot )

Are you natural? If so, when you were wrapping were you stretching your relaxer? Because I'm like 4 mongths post and my hair is a little under processed. Thats why I'm scared to wrap my hair, especially wet. I figure that would cause more harm than good.

I put my hair in 4 braids, wet the ends and apply butter/vaseline and then I wrap the ends around perm rods. My ends always turn out smooth and shiny this way.

I had this problem, until I learned that my hair was a frizzy mess because it was so DRY! Traditional leave-in's don't give my hair enough moisture, so I started using a conditioner as a leave-in before I airdry, and that cured my frizz problem.

Try putting a moisturizing conditioner in your hair as a leave-in for your next air-dry and see how that works.

Hello,

Listen to me girl. Not everyone is the same! Not eveyone can air dry their hair without problems. I used air dry my hair after a wash and I always had excessive dryness and crunchy ends that would break off. No oil in the world would help. No seal, castor oil, almond oil or any other oil would help my crunchy ends.

I switch to drying my hair on the coolest setting on my hair dryer, and my ends are doing much better. No more crunchy hair. Maybe things will change when your hair grows longer, but for now you have to do what works for you. Try this method,

Hope this helps

Hello,

Listen to me girl. Not everyone is the same! Not eveyone can air dry their hair without problems. I used air dry my hair after a wash and I always had excessive dryness and crunchy ends that would break off. No oil in the world would help. No seal, castor oil, almond oil or any other oil would help my crunchy ends.

I switch to drying my hair on the coolest setting on my hair dryer, and my ends are doing much better. No more crunchy hair. Maybe things will change when your hair grows longer, but for now you have to do what works for you. Try this method,

Hope this helps

my friend with relaxed 4a hair has good results with this

ITA. Kenra was a Godsend this airdrying session

I had this problem, until I learned that my hair was a frizzy mess because it was so DRY! Traditional leave-in's don't give my hair enough moisture, so I started using a conditioner as a leave-in before I airdry, and that cured my frizz problem.

Try putting a moisturizing conditioner in your hair as a leave-in for your next air-dry and see how that works.

No, I'm not natural. I use a relaxer to my new growth about every 5 weeks. I have to use some type of straightner or else I will be walking around with a big puffy head of hair. I don't know how old you are but this may give you an idea of how old I am. Back in the day as a child, my mom would use a straightening comb to straighten my hair. She use to heat it up on the stove, slap a little grease on my hair and straighten away. My hair would stay straight until it got wet, then like magic it was a big puff ball again.

im relaxed and its harder for relaxed to airdry then naturals because our hair cuticle needs more assistance to close (because of the chemicals). it may be best to use a little heat (sitting under the dryer) or use a blow dryer on a low setting . the best thing i can tell you for airdrying , is to do it in a braidout or a twistout and make sure the hair is fully moisturized prior to doing them. i never used to airdry my hair 'out' because of the dry ends. i would squeeze excess water out, add a little leave in, add my moisturizer (especially to the ends until they are moist and soft) and do medium sized plaits (single braids) all over my head. then when it dried, i would have these nice krinklies all over :)

im relaxed and its harder for relaxed to airdry then naturals because our hair cuticle needs more assistance to close (because of the chemicals). it may be best to use a little heat (sitting under the dryer) or use a blow dryer on a low setting . the best thing i can tell you for airdrying , is to do it in a braidout or a twistout and make sure the hair is fully moisturized prior to doing them. i never used to airdry my hair 'out' because of the dry ends. i would squeeze excess water out, add a little leave in, add my moisturizer (especially to the ends until they are moist and soft) and do then when it dried, i would have these nice krinklies all over :)

Thanks for the prompt responses ladies. I have so many things to think anout. I think I'm gonna try this method first [medium sized plaits (single braids) all over my head. ] along with [Try putting a moisturizing conditioner in your hair as a leave-in ] and if these two things don't work, I'll try this [switch to drying my hair on the coolest setting on my hair dryer]. And Candy, I believe your words to be true! I can't wait. I think I got about 6 more months till I'm far from SL. Thank you all so much!

Okay, I'm relaxed (currently stretching) and I co-wash everyday, therefore I airdry everyday. I moisturize my ends with nothing but a little water and glycerin and seal with coconut oil...

Glycerin is not for everybody, especially in winter time!
I airdry with single braids and I roll my ends (after wetting and sealing with a mix of coconut/castor oil) on barrettes for smooth and small curls.

Glycerin is not for everybody, especially in winter time!
I airdry with single braids and I roll my ends (after wetting and sealing with a mix of coconut/castor oil) on barrettes for smooth and small curls.

Thanks. I'm packing my glycerin up until the spring.

Thanks for the replies thus far. I meant to mention, I've have smooth results with rollersets, but I don't want to do them right now. They are alot of manipulation for me, take alot of time, and are the only time I notice breakage. Anything I can do besides rollersets and wrapping? (I'm terrified to wrap my hair. When I wasn't stretching, I had breakage, so I know I'll have it now that I'm stretching).
At some time (if you choose to), you may want to learn to rollerset without breaking your hair. I grew my texlaxed hair out by airdrying in rollersets and I've learned different techniques while on this board.

Also, Poookie has a thread right now on airdrying in pincurls, with a very easy way to do it. This may work for you too. :)

Back