Excellent Relaxer Application Tutorial

I didn't see any regrowth... But I like the way she bases the scalp!
Very well versed in hair care and I LOVE her flat iron!!

I thought Super relaxers were stronger... how do they work faster if they are not stronger?

Last edited:
you should base the relaxed ends as well. She's fast and that's GREAT. I didn't watch all through, but looks pretty good.

Super relaxers really are not necessary. They are stronger, have less buffers and penetrate the cuticle faster.

Its not really good to comb through either, use the back of the comb.

Cool video. I don't have a relaxer so I don't really know how it's supposed to be done but it looks like she knew what she was doing. I liked it.

I thought Super relaxers were stronger... how do they work faster if they are not stronger?

Thanks for checking it out. The way she based the scalp is what made me watch the whole video.

I always straighten my hair the week before a relaxer, or else it will be too tangled to part through. Whoever relaxes my hair can tell the difference because of the kinker texture of the newgrowth. Not sure if that was the case here, though....

I honestly never knew the difference between super and relaxed(still don't). I always use the mildest strength. I always thought they were stronger, too - but, people always think that kiddy relaxers are weaker and they are not.

you should base the relaxed ends as well. She's fast and that's GREAT. I didn't watch all through, but looks pretty good.

That crossed my mind, but I don't like to base or oil my ends - it makes the hair wet and harder to work with in my experience. I usually just put a little petroleum jelly on the very end of my hair. She didn't get any relaxers on the previously relaxed hair, but that would be difficult for a self-relaxer to pull off.

Super relaxers really are not necessary. They are stronger, have less buffers and penetrate the cuticle faster.

Its not really good to comb through either, use the back of the comb.

Do you know what makes them work faster?

For me, if my hair isn't combed through to straighten it, it comes out under-processed.

ETA: I'm glad you guys are pointing things out about the vid. It's always good to get different perspectives.

Last edited:
The lye is what makes it work. Its not a compound that by itself works fast or slow. What companies have developed over the years are ways to buffer the lye to keep its effectiveness, but not allow it work at full strength (think drano fast), but slower for better application. I think that is as best of an explanation I can give.

I can understand the underprocessing issue, I suppose there is always that concern of over stretching the hair strand that more than not occurs with combing as a means of smoothing, thus creating strand weakness - breakage. Unfortunately, that breakage doesn't occur immediately after the retouch, but it is a continual weakening of the strand over time.

I have not found a better method either, but there are very firm applicator spatulas that are chemical safe. I would try those.

She did a great job- that was the only thing I could critique as well. Just should have coated those ends with something. Thanks for sharing that Sol.

That was a good vid. I like what she said about shampooing to stop the proccessing. My only real issue was the client didn't seem to have a whole lot of new growth. Looks like she had a relaxer 5 weeks ago. I would like to see how she would relax a 3 month stretcher.

IA about not having alot of new growth. I have twice as much as her (I am relaxing this week).

I usually use a brush and I am going to change that. I also to do thin sections (mine are way thicker), so I wil have to work on that too.

I used to use a reconstructer (Affirm 5 n 1) but havn't in awhile. I think I might have to order this again and use with heat (which again I don't do after a relaxer).

All in all, alot of got pointers, thanks OP.

I like how fast but gentle she was with the clients hair. But I'd like to see how she's handle some real NG.

Thanks. Great video. Does anyone recognize the brand of flat iron? I'm in the market and that one looks perfect.

I saw and subscribe to McBrideInc last year...I LOVED how she applied her relaxer - she was fast and on point - virtually flawless...I really liked her trim as well...ain't nuthin like that swang...

That was really my only problem with the the whole video. The client didn't have enough new growth to relax.

Great video! This is the best relaxer technique that I have seen.

What I got out of it was:

1) Place my Mizani base into a spouted bottle and apply.

2) Part my hair in thinner sections.

3) Be more gentle when combing through the hair with relaxer on it. I don't have to be rough in order to get it straight.

4) Use a round brush when blowdrying (rare)

5) If flat ironing (rare) follow the flat iron with a fine toothed comb.

What I would have done different was definitely "base" my previously relaxed hair, do mid-step protein treatment, and leave the neutralizing shampoo on for at least 1 hour.

Again very good video. Thanks OP!

Very good video. Sometimes combs have seams in the back so I'd want it smoothed/filed down first.

Last edited:
The lye is what makes it work. Its not a compound that by itself works fast or slow. What companies have developed over the years are ways to buffer the lye to keep its effectiveness, but not allow it work at full strength (think drano fast), but slower for better application. I think that is as best of an explanation I can give.

I can understand the underprocessing issue, I suppose there is always that concern of over stretching the hair strand that more than not occurs with combing as a means of smoothing, thus creating strand weakness - breakage. Unfortunately, that breakage doesn't occur immediately after the retouch, but it is a continual weakening of the strand over time.

I have not found a better method either, but there are very firm applicator spatulas that are chemical safe. I would try those.

I see what you're saying.

I use no-lye, but I imagine it's the same idea since the straightening agents are very similar.

This was the best instructional video I could find on Youtube when I was preparing for my first self-relaxer. I watched this video like 10 times, studying it so that my first attempt wouldn't end in disaster. She was so helpful and gave a lot of great tips.

It looked like she used the back of the comb to smooth the hair; she didn't comb the relaxer through.

Also if she said to shampoo 3x w/ a neutralizing shampoo (IDK if she mentioned how long to leave it on for each time) why leave the shampoo on for 1hr? Wouldn't the hour be overkill?

The video was great...she was so QUICK! Like others have said, I would've liked to see more new growth. Would she have been just as quick on someone w/ more ng?

Great video! This is the best relaxer technique that I have seen.

What I got out of it was:

1) Place my Mizani base into a spouted bottle and apply.

2) Part my hair in thinner sections.

3) Be more gentle when combing through the hair with relaxer on it. I don't have to be rough in order to get it straight.

4) Use a round brush when blowdrying (rare)

5) If flat ironing (rare) follow the flat iron with a fine toothed comb.

What I would have done different was definitely "base" my previously relaxed hair, do mid-step protein treatment, and leave the neutralizing shampoo on for at least 1 hour.

Again very good video. Thanks OP!

It looked like she used the back of the comb to smooth the hair; she didn't comb the relaxer through.

Also if she said to shampoo 3x w/ a neutralizing shampoo (IDK if she mentioned how long to leave it on for each time) why leave the shampoo on for 1hr? Wouldn't the hour be overkill?

The video was great...she was so QUICK! Like others have said, I would've liked to see more new growth. Would she have been just as quick on someone w/ more ng?

I relax my hair in two sections. After I am done with the first section, I leave the neutalizing shampoo in until I am done with the second section. The reason is two fold. 1) It prevents the overlapping when I relax the second section and 2) I like to make sure that my hair is good and neutralized.

I read on this board before that one should leave the neutralizing shampoo on for a good while. Particularly if relaxing with Phyto. I have been doing this for about 9 months with very good results. :yep:

I was thinking the same exact things that you were. To the T.

thanks for the video OP

Back