Ever had an "edge up"?

melodee

Ever had an \"edge up\"?

My old stylist use to do this procedure, which was to touch up only the edges. I used to get it done when I'd want a fresh look but wasn't quite ready for a full touch up. I figure it can help me stretch out a relaxer, b/c my edges are the nappier areas. The rest of my hair has a looser curl.Anyone know a stylist who does this, or does it themselves?

Barbi

Re: Ever had an \"edge up\"?

Is that healthy? I don't think it is because you're relaxing already relaxed hair. Did you have any problems aftewards?

Taliah

And I'm Dancing...

i've done this several times in the past myself, and by stylist. i only leave it on for about 5 min or so. it's great for stretching and i have all my edges...

MizAvalon

I used to do this when I wore weaves and only had the edges of my real hair out. Never any problems.

Britt

[ QUOTE ]
Taliah said:
i've done this several times in the past myself, and by stylist. i only leave it on for about 5 min or so. it's great for stretching and i have all my edges...

[/ QUOTE ]

same here, i think it actually helps to prolong the length of time in which you perm b/c if the edges are straight you are less likely to perm the inside too soon. I use to do this all the time in h.s when I would relax my whole head every 16 weeks. I would perm my edges around week 8-10.

Tracy

I used to do when my hair was short. It worked well. Never lost my edges either. But my edges are always the last things stylists perm in a full touch up, so the likelihood of overprocessing was probably reduced.

melodee

When I had it done, the stylist only applied the perm to the new growth of the edges. Back then I wasn't so intrested in stretching out my relaxers, but now I think an edge up would help me not to cave in too soon. I don't like fuzzy edges.

Falon

I did this night before last. I just mixed up a little relaxer and put it on my edges for five minutes then washed it out. It came out fine and now I feel a bit better about stretching my relaxer. This is week 7, I usually relax at 6 but after I did this I was running my fingers through my new growth and I really don't feel like I need a relaxer at all now. You can't even see the rest of my new growth because my braid out hides it.

foxybronx

I am going to do this!!
This might sound silly but i have never relaxed my OWN hair before..so i am a little nervous *even though i am just going to do my edges). Do you have to use the neutralizing shampoo a million times like a relaxer? Do you have to base you edges or is that defeating the purpose? When rinsing out the relaxer does it get on your hair? Lastly, do ya'll do your nape too?

calbear

I have quite a few friends who get hairline touchups on a regular in order to stretch out their relaxers. They never lost any hair and it was only on the new growth. ( I never did it cause I was cheap and if I was gonna go to the shop to get something done I might was well wait and pay once and get everything done)

G

I do relaxer touch ups on my edges and it's ok...just oil it well.

J

JenniferMD

I use to do this a while ago, but wouldn't do it now. It's too easy to overlap when you just "touch up the edges". Then you have to worry about overprocessing if you're getting a relaxer in a few more weeks.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made

Never had an edge up... my edges are hardly ever nappy..so mines the opposite...the rest of my hair is nappier than my edges.

missjoey

Re: Ever had an "edge up"?

Hey ladies, I am trying to strech my relaxer for atleast 12 weeks. I have 4b hair and my edges are no joke after about the 6th week.lol I don't think that there is any way that I can strech that long with out touching up my edges. Does anyone do this? Any suggestions or advice regarding this would be greatly appreciated? TIA

ChocalateDiva

I used to do this all the time and my edges had major damage. I guess every is different but, be careful.

ChocalateDiva

I used to do this all the time and my edges had major damage. I guess every is different but, be careful.

ChocalateDiva

InquiringMind

I've had my sew in about a month now but, i just got the edges touched up last week. I went to the hairdresser and she charged me $10 but, I think I could've did this myself. She also left the relaxer on for 10 minutes which I thought was a little extreme. I don't think it's harmful as long as ur not overprocessing. I haven't had a perm since february and I'm hoping to stretch it out til beginning of june.

scorpio

My hairstylist sometimes recommends this, but since I have been trying to stretch my relaxers, I choose not to because my edges tend to be quite fragile and I am trying to nurse that hair back to health. It is very tempting, though.