Ever Bought A Product And Then Discarded?

Kinky4Agirl

I bought shea moisture's co washing conditioner yesterday and I already changed my mind about using it. I really don't think I need to co wash my hair. My plain clear water is good enough when I shower and my weekly regimen takes care of the rest. I think I'm a product junkie so this happens to me alot. Have you ever bought something and then decided you really didn't need it? Name the product and what made you decide against it.

Most of the time when I trash a product, I've tried it and it was garbage for me. If I can return it where I bought it from, I will. Otherwise I trash it and keep it moving. Sometimes I gripe to myself about having to trash something because of the money spent but life's too short for a setback.

Recent additions to the trash pile:
- Obia Naturals Babassu Deep Conditioner (didn't moisturize or condition a single strand on my head)
- Soultanicals Knot Kokoa (with the way it's formulated, the mango butter disagreed with my hair and didn't seal in my moisturizer; ended up making my hair dry)
- Soultanicals Hair Sorrell- Knappylicious Kink Drink (didn't do anything beneficial for my hair)
- Soultanicals Wrapper's Delight- Hydrating Kink Drink (didn't do anything beneficial for my hair)

I Agree with @rileypak If I can return it I will.

Normally, I am queen of the back ups. A lot of times I will buy a back-up w/o even trying it out first. If it's something like that, I will swap the remainder with another poster.

The only reason I've ever discarded something (for the most part) was because it went bad, spilled all over the place and couldn't be saved.

I don't like to Swap or Sell Opened products.

I have thrown out something I've had an allergic reaction to.

I dont throw anything away.

Sometimes it will stay in the stash so long, I'll circle back to it and it will be amazing. Then I'll be upset because then said product will have been reformulated.

If it truly doesnt work ,I gift it. I had some great products by Texture Me Naturals but they just didnt work for me. Too heavy and didnt penetrate. I gave them to my fiance after awhile. Great ingredients, just not working.

Same thing with Alikay Naturals , shea moisturizer. Folks swore up and down on shea butter. I wanted the shine ,softness and bomb twist out. Not a darn thing but dry greasy hair. That I had to throw away because after a year of trying to use it , it no longer smelled fine

Last edited:
I notice I really do not like throwing products away, even if I know I will never use them.

I went to Ghana and bought some super strength crustifying brown gel, thinking if it can hold down this girl's twa in this heat, it must can do something for my 4c/b hair. I stocked up (6 small jars). Never tried it because by hair was in braids. Came back from the trip, found hair boards and knew I would never put that stuff in my hair. Now what? Instead of throwing them out, they've just been sitting there in my graveyard stasho_O.

I have many examples of this type of behaviour. I've changed my PJ ways now but I still can't let go:spinning:.

I don't throw it away. I have too many friends that don't mind products I dislike. My sister in law will take any products I dislike too.

But it's also the same reason I don't hoard products or buy multiple backups. Especially on products that are new to me. Great product reviews help if I know how it works on fine, high porosity hair but many reviews leave those types of details out. Which means it's trial and error for me. I don't like to waste money like that.

Also, I've found that products I didn't like initially, I circle back to try several times to make sure I've used it properly or as intended. If after all of that I don't like it or know I won't use it, then I pass it on.

Last year I bought Curl Junkie's Curl Rehab because everyone raved about it...did NOTHING for my hair, and it was expensive (for me). My co-worker loved it though.

I have 2 co-workers I can give unwanted products to. I still have shea butter items in my stash I need to bring to work. Also oils, I'm not a big fan but I had several bottles of different kinds.

I only throw away things that have expired or gone bad. Since I primarily purchase handcrafted products online, returning an ineffective product is not an option. This is fine since I thoroughly examine and mull over every item I buy. As a result, I've become pretty good and gauging which products will perform well and which ones won't from their ingredient listings. Doing this has decreased my "This BS Sucks" list.

@AbsyBlvd, me too. I have two full tubs of relaxers that I have no idea what to do with. I bought Hawaiin Silky lye relaxer and had a set back from it, then I bought a tub of my reliable Affirm (lye) relaxer and then decided to go natural. I've used both of those big tubs only once... Waste, waste, waste...

@Kinky4Agirl Thanks for this thread. It has made me take stock of my hoarding. I do occasionally do a few folks hair so most times, products won't go to waste. But stuff I've got that I will probably never use on myself or anyone else (like that brown gel) will either be donated or thrown out. I have two full bags of products I could definitely stream down (or at least better organise), especially since I've found my current staples.

I throw out stuff that has gone bad or has separated. I normally give away stuff that didn't work for anyone in the house or repurpose them. I have used lack luster products as foot creams, prepoo's and to shave my legs. I just recently tossed a product because it was too horrible to do anything with. That was a first.

I've bought a few things and even though I read the ingredient list I missed an ingredient or two that I know my hair doesn't like. Sometimes they sat so long I couldn't return it for a refund so I'll give it to someone I know will use it. I know many people who are either into hair care or just plain do not want/have the funds to buy their own stuff so it's not hard.

If no one I know wants it or can use it and I can't repurpose it, I'll throw it away. I feel guilty about it though. I currently have 2/3 a bottle of Moroccan Oil Styling Hydrating Cream that just builds up on my hair. No one I know wants it

Most of the time I buy my products in the U.S. or online and use them when i'm back in the Caribbean. So yeah, no returning.

Everything I've ever had that I didn't use I've thrown in the trash... I really want to give my tubs of relaxers away but I'm not sure how the product exchange works here..

1. Shea moisture curling soufflé. I tried many times to make it work but my hair just hated it. It's a gross greasy sticky mess. I tossed it.
2. Aloe Vera juice. Left me with crispy dry hair no matter what I mixed with it. I now know that I can't use a liquid with avj in it. Creamy products with aloe are fine but liquids are a disaster waiting to happen. Ended up pouring out a huge bottle of it.
3. Almost trashed KCKT. That stuff did absolutely nothing for my hair. I mean nothing. I used it to make a braid spray with water, Garnier leave in and some oils.

Shampoos or cleansing conditioners I don't like I let my hubby and my boys use. They pay no attention to what they use on their hair! Other than a few products I don't have very much that I don't like. I have a lot of products but they all mostly get used in rotation. I do have some As I Am crap that I don't want though.

Shampoos or cleansing conditioners I don't like I let my hubby and my boys use. They pay no attention to what they use on their hair! Other than a few products I don't have very much that I don't like. I have a lot of products but they all mostly get used in rotation. I do have some As I Am crap that I don't want though.
As I am? I heard good reviews about that brand. What about it did you not like?

Back