Edges filled in-new problem

dicapr

My hairline is filling in very well. That said, when I try to slick down the edges of my hair, it just curls up. I've tried wax, grease, gel. Anytime I put a product to slick down my edges, all I get are tight 4a curls around my hair line. Any suggestions on how to lay down or will I have to wait until the hair gets longer to slick without curling?

SNyeema

Well, I think that depends on what exactly you're trying to achieve. I see you're newly natural. Congrats! Now, I also saw that you transitioned for 8 months. I'm not sure how fast your hair grows or anything but if it's long enough for a puff, and you want your edges to cooperate, I would suggest a little pomade and tying a scarf around for a few minutes. But then we don't want to put any added stress on your edges if they're just filling in so be careful on how tight you pull the puff. But if your hair isn't long enough for a puff yet, what type of style are you trying to achieve with flat edges and rest curly???? Just trying to picture this in my head. Maybe someone else can shed some light on Dicapr?

healthyhairin07

Do you put your products in your hair when it's wet? I've found that it's better to either wash or wet my hair then apply gel if I want a sleek look.

glamazon386

Have you tried tieing it down with a scarf? I've also heard some ladies on the board using a toothbrush to gel down the edges. I've never tried that though...

P

patient1

If your hairline is recovering and finally filling in, I'd leave it alone for awhile. I have a naturally thin and fine hairline. I've finally gotten the hair in my "corners" to grow longer and a tad thicker, but I'm not struggling too hard because this hairline is one of my birthrights (Thanks Pop!).

So though there are products and techniques you can employ to "lay them down", I'd let them do their thing for awhile and get firmly rooted and strong before going there. It's sort of like my 2 year olds hair. Her edges always want to do their thing, but I let them. The hair around the edges is the newest hair (as she's still growing) and I don't want to stress her hair or follicles by trying to tame them.

hth :)
p1

dicapr

SNyeema said:
Well, I think that depends on what exactly you're trying to achieve. I see you're newly natural. Congrats! Now, I also saw that you transitioned for 8 months. I'm not sure how fast your hair grows or anything but if it's long enough for a puff, and you want your edges to cooperate, I would suggest a little pomade and tying a scarf around for a few minutes. But then we don't want to put any added stress on your edges if they're just filling in so be careful on how tight you pull the puff. But if your hair isn't long enough for a puff yet, what type of style are you trying to achieve with flat edges and rest curly???? Just trying to picture this in my head. Maybe someone else can shed some light on Dicapr?

I'm just trying to push back the front and leave the back out. The problem is that the front of my hair has curl definition and the back does not. So I am trying to minimize the curls in the front so it doesn't look so weird with a 4b puff in the back.

bluwatersoul

what type of oils do you use? I usually spritz my hair with an infusium mixture, and then use EVOO/JBCO/WGO (whatever is nearby) on my edges, and tie the whole mess down with a scarf for awhile. If I am wearing a hat, I will just put that hat over that until I get where I am going. It works like a charm for me, I'm a fine 4b.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Try Beyond The Zone Stiffhead and a toothbrush. It works wonders and it won't curl your hair up, it actually straightens it out and lays it down. My hair looks freshly permed when I use it. It's my magic stick, hee hee.

ETA....what did you use to grow your edges back?