DRY BRITTLE ENDS!

queenofmean68

I need help---pronto! I just washed my relaxed hair with tons of highlights. I do the usual routine----wash, hot oil, conditioner. Then I use a little setting lotion and Aveda's Emollient, sit under my hooded dryer...but my hair came out sooo brittle and my ends were horribly dry. What am I doing wrong???
I lost a lot of hair EVERY time I ran a comb thru it.
HELP!

Spagirl

Relaxed and highlights might be a combo that cause dryness.

[ QUOTE ]
Then I use a little setting lotion and Aveda's Emollient, sit under my hooded dryer

[/ QUOTE ]

Having too much styling product (combo factor here) another cause of dryness.

I would rinse the excess out of my hair follow up with a deep moisturizing conditioner. Prior to my setting lotion (if used at all) I would use a leave-in followed by a lite oil to seal.

Edited to add:

I have the Aveda Phomollient a styling product is this what you were refering to as you Aveda product? If so, you might have an added drying affect from using 2 styling products along with the other factors.

queenofmean68

No, the Aveda product I use is "Brilliant Emollient for Hair" it IS an oil, and its the same product my stylist uses on my hair and recommends for me to use at home. It is similar to all of the "serums" that folks use on this board.

Spagirl

[ QUOTE ]
queenofmean68 said:
No, the Aveda product I use is "Brilliant Emollient for Hair" it IS an oil, and its the same product my stylist uses on my hair and recommends for me to use at home. It is similar to all of the "serums" that folks use on this board.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case I would use a leave-in along with your routine.
I don't highlight my hair so maybe those who do can give you some additional tips.

AngieK

<font color="brown">Is it just the ends of your hair that are brittle? If so, how much of your ends seem to be affected? Here are some suggestions:

If it is only an inch or so, I would suggest getting a trim because extreme dryness on the ends can be a sign of splitting. Once the ends get in a conditon to where they are beginning to split, it is hard for them to accept or retain any type of moisture or elasticity.

If it is more than an inch, and you are talking about a considerable percentage of the ends and length, then perhaps you switched relaxers sometime in the past. Your hair could be reacting to 2 different textures, or maybe the ends were slightly overprocessed with the previous relaxer. In this case, you should plan on getting gradual trims, and you will have to baby your hair until it all grows out. Reconstructors and moisture pacs can help, but they would only act as "band-aids" to the problem. If the cuticle of you hair is swelled from damage (another cause of brittle hair), a gentle lower pH shampoo is important, and perhaps an acidifying rinse would help (ACV). These will help to tighten the cuticle, as will cool water rinses.

If neither of these are the problem, then I would suggest that you clarify and deeply condition your hair - - build-up could be the culprit.

AngieK

P.S. I did not mention the the highlighted hair, but I am sure that you know that coloring always has its own set of problems. </font>

northernbelle

queenofmean,

I had highlights applied to my hair twice since August, 2002. I was unaware of the drying effects of the highlights on my already dry, relaxed hair, and so I suffered from very dry, very brittle and thinning ends and hair.

I endured this condition from September 2002 to August 2003, when I was blessed to discover the LHCF.

I returned to wet roller sets. Additionally, I began to apply weekly moisturizing confitioning treatments. Third, I began to use a clarifying shampoo, as well as a protein reconstructor. Finally, I began to use natural hair care products to give my hair shine and moisture.

The condition of my hair has greatly improved within a relatively short period of time. My hair is fuller, thicker, shinier and stronger. In fact, my brother visited me recently, and confirmed that my hair was fuller, thicker, shinier and not dry and brittle.

I am gradually trimming the hair, so as to get rid of the hair which was highlighted.

I may try highlights again some day, now that I understand how to better care for my hair.

I hope the aforementioned is helpful!

northernbelle

TsAngel

I would add a pre shampoo Hot oil treatment. I have Hilights
too. This always does the trick for me.

northernbelle

I purchased the Phomollient, used it once, and returned it. The stylist who processed my refund remarked that she would never have recommended the product for my hair. For one, I believe it contains some alcohol. Two, it's a gel, which left my hair crispy, and not at all soft.

I would recommend the Pure-Fume Brilliant Universal Styling Creme in place of the Aveda Phomollient.

And, don't forget to clarify periodically!

northernbelle

Peachtree

Try giving urself an overnight moisturizing conditioning treatment. Basically, after ur poo or CO wash, add ur moisturizing conditioner, then cover with a conditioning cap (plastic cap). Leave on for 8 hrs or overnight, which ever is feasible for u. Then rinse. I use Motions Moisture Plus, Pantene Hydrating Curls. or LustraSilk Aloe Enriched Cholesterol conditioners.

Or, after ur poo/co wash, add ur conditioner. Rinse. Then add more conditioner (kinda heavy) to just ur ends &amp; cover with a plastic cap for 8 hrs or overnight. This works really well too.

After rinsing, make sure to add plenty of oil to ur ends.... wanna be sure to lock in all of that good ole moisture that u just put in there

Or... (ok, this is my last "or"
) add ur conditioner, cover with plastic cap, sit under a hooded dryer for 15 or so mins then keep the conditioner on for another 8 hrs or overnight.

I've had excellent results with that one too when I was relaxing

Ok, that's it for me....

queenofmean68

Hmmm, maybe what I should have asked is how folks keep their ends smooth when drying the hair. I don't usually airdry b/c it takes too long &amp; my hair will sometimes frizz up. I'm horrible at rollersetting! I can't part, can't get the rollers tight enough, arms get tired too quickly---what is the secret????

Suggestions anyone?

rollar setting is very fiddly but is worth its weight in gold to learn to do. Your hair will looks 10 x better for it, esp. to get smooth hair without direct heat like curling irons.

Try and get a Dominican salon to do them for you for a few times and watch them closely. They are cheap and the hair comes out swinging and smooth. Before you go, maybe do a deep conditioning for a few hours so when you go, you've already done one in addition to the 10 min one they'll do.

I always recommended finding Amillion's guide on rollarsetting. It explains the parting, how to use the rollars etc. Its worth reading. It took me ages to get rollarsetting down but I kept trying because I knew and could see the benefits to my hair.

kedala

Also you might want to try this too, last night I added a tablespoon of honey and a tablespoon of aloe vera gel (all organic of course) to my 14oz of conditioner. I got this idea off of the Recipe forum, and thanks to the lady that suggested it because my hair is extremely soft and moisturized. It was very dry previously.

HTH

Kee