Don't sleep on oil-rinses!

So how much in fl oz do people use? Like 1 fl oz or less. I tried about half a cup and that was too much, I tried about a teaspoon and I didn't notice anything. I want to try it again today and want to get it right.

So how much in fl oz do people use? Like 1 fl oz or less. I tried about half a cup and that was too much, I tried about a teaspoon and I didn't notice anything. I want to try it again today and want to get it right.

It depends on how heavy your oil is Ogoma If 1/2 cup was too much for all your hair then try a lighter oil in roughly the same amount. I used a palmful for each half of my hair split down the middle from forehead to nape.

It depends on how heavy your oil is @Ogoma If 1/2 cup was too much for all your hair then try a lighter oil in roughly the same amount. I used a palmful for each half of my hair split down the middle from forehead to nape.

Bajanmum Thank you. It was 1/2 cup of olive oil + grapeseed oil. I will use 2 fl oz of olive + grapeseed + walnut oils today.

I tried the oil rinse thing.....................

It didn't work for me.

Sigh.

Oh well.
:wave: fletgee, I once felt the same way. What type of oil did you use? Evoo was an epic fail. Castor does good but I prefer Wheat Germ. I am cautious not to over apply the oil. My process goes...
Apply wheat germ to dry hair - detangle
1. Cowash
2. Apply wheat germ
3. Slather on a cheapie conditioner to absorb excess oil (I use V05 MM; I use other conditioners for the cowash in step 1 and 6)
5. Rinse
6. Cowash again

:wave: @fletgee, I once felt the same way. What type of oil did you use? Evoo was an epic fail. Castor does good but I prefer Wheat Germ. I am cautious not to over apply the oil. My process goes...
Apply wheat germ to dry hair - detangle
1. Cowash
2. Apply wheat germ
3. Slather on a cheapie conditioner to absorb excess oil (I use V05 MM; I use other conditioners for the cowash in step 1 and 6)
5. Rinse
6. Cowash again

divachyk,

Hey girl it's me...........:creatures...fletgee!

So wheat germ oil is the stuff to use for oil rinses. I am gonna try it. And thanks for the heads up!

What a looong thread! But glad I stumbled on it last night while I had my DC on. When the DC was almost done, I massaged in grapeseed and coconut oils. The tangles fell right out! I didn't have to comb! Which is fantastic because my hair hates water and usually breaks when I wet comb it. I rinsed and then followed with a regular conditioner. It was soft and manageable.

I'm sold. This will be added to my weekly DC regimen.

I am still oil rinsing and love it. When step do you oil rinse when shampooing/DCing? I usually oil rinse on cowash days vs DC days.

I am still oil rinsing and love it. When step do you oil rinse when shampooing/DCing? I usually oil rinse on cowash days vs DC days.

Hi there. I'm still oil rinsing too, and its my baby! I do it weekly w/castor oil as the last step in my wash routine. I consider it as my conditioner.

I need to try this again. When I tried it before I was using too much oil and I couldn't rinse it all out. I'll try again the next time I wash.

ETA: after re-reading the steps I remember another reason I didn't like oil rinsing, which is that I have to shampoo, rinse, oil, rinse the oil, DC and then go back and rinse out my DC - too many steps. Maybe I'll try it as a prepoo instead.

Sent from my HTC Evo

Last edited:
FoxxyLocs no, you don't have to do all that-- unless you want to. I deep condition on dry, rinse it all, then oil rinse. I only use a little tiny bit of oil, about a pea size drop of castor oil for the 4 quarters of my hair.

virtuenow said:
FoxxyLocs no, you don't have to do all that-- unless you want to. I deep condition on dry, rinse it all, then oil rinse. I only use a little tiny bit of oil, about a pea size drop of castor oil for the 4 quarters of my hair.

virtuenow When do you shampoo? Or do you not use shampoo?

And I thought you had to rinse the oil with conditioner. You just rinse with water and it all comes out?

I guess it was hard for me to wrap my mind around using so little oil because I have a lot of hair and it's hard to get product all through there. Clearly I was using too much before though.

Sent from my HTC Evo

@FoxxyLocs while the deep conditioner is still on my hair, I shampoo only my SCALP with diluted poo in an applicator bottle. Yes, castor oil comes out w/just water. Its also commonly used on face for the oil cleansing method-- and it only takes water. You don't have to use as little oil as me, esp since you have more hair. I also let alittle water get in my hands while the oil is in it so it spreads easier.

Just know it doesn't take much oil at all to achieve the best results using this method. If u read this whole thread like i did, you'll see people do it diff ways; some people do oil rinse all by itself w/o washing or co-washing. Just dampen the hair, slather on oil, then rinse. Then again, Some people do it before shampooing. So find the best way, as long as you dampen your hair first, it should have the same affects. I tried it all ways, and this was the best fit for me.

@virtuenow When do you shampoo? Or do you not use shampoo?

And I thought you had to rinse the oil with conditioner. You just rinse with water and it all comes out?

I guess it was hard for me to wrap my mind around using so little oil because I have a lot of hair and it's hard to get product all through there. Clearly I was using too much before though.

Sent from my HTC Evo

@FoxxyLocs, I have oil rinsed a variety of ways....

Shampoo days:
-Slather oil on dry hair, rinse, shampoo, DC
-Shampoo, slather oil on wet hair then slather V05 MM on top of the oil, rinse, DC
-Shampoo, slather oil on wet hair, rinse, DC

Cowash days:
-Slather oil on dry hair, rinse, cowash
-Cowash, slather on oil, rinse, cowash again

As you can see, I've done it a number of ways. To me, the results are the same no matter the method used. Finding what steps work for you is the main thing.

I oil rinse with ceramides. That seems to work best for me. I tried evoo and castor but ceramides is where it is at (for me). I prefer wheat germ but hemp does great also.

The key to oil rinsing is to rinse with hot water vs. warm water. Hot water helps to remove the oil from the hair.

As you see, I sometimes slather on V05 MM. That helps to remove/absorb excessive oil. I only toss in this step if I feel that I've put too much oil on my hair. I use to do this step every single time when I first started oil rinsing but now I kind of know how much oil to use and find this is an unnecessary step.

I use about 2 palm fulls of oil when oil rinsing.

I tried this last year and it was an epic fail. Today I did this on a whim after a protein treatment because I usually have a little more of a difficult time detangling after using protein. I used a grapeseed oil/castor oil mix. After rinsing the PT, I applied the oil to my ends first, then applied all over my head. I split my hair down the middle and applied oil to both sides to make sure I got all of my strands. I immediately put some VO5 on both sides and detangled. It was so easy! I rinsed the condish and oil from my hair after detangling. It felt soft and moisturized. I also lost less hair. I will continue using this method from now on.

Fine strands ladies with dense hair do you find that heavier oils work better or lighter oil and if so please recommend some oils to try? Besides EVOO, Castor Oil, Grapeseed, and Coconut.

Updated method:

I wash with my black soap, divide my hair into 4 sections, apply grapeseed oil to each section (applying just enough until I start to feel the strands slip apart), rinse the section with very warm water, apply conditioner, detangle, and final rinse. Perfection.

I just tried this and my hair loves it!
1. ORS Hair mayo on dry hair
2. Rinsed. Applied oil. (grapeseed, evoo, almond, coconut, castor, and alma). Laid down in front of my space heater. Left on hair about 30 minutes in a plastic cap.
3. Co-washed.
I did not have any knots, lots of slip. This a staple in my regimen now.

Just oil rinsed with pumpkin seed oil - why oh why did I fall off on oil rinsing!? SSKs been a little out of control lately.....the last of my pumpkin oil was close by so I grabbed it and used right before co-washing. Tangles melted away and I can run my fingers through my dry hair without having to rip apart so many tangles along the way. Gotta get this back in the wash rotation! :yep:

So I changed my method AGAIN.

After shampooing I apply coconut oil to my hair, rinse, detangle with condish, rinse again. Perfect.

Fine strands ladies with dense hair do you find that heavier oils work better or lighter oil and if so please recommend some oils to try? Besides EVOO, Castor Oil, Grapeseed, and Coconut.

when i do think of it i mix both (thick and light)
i tried castor oil + grapeseed
castor + olive
castor + nut oil

came out fine.
i might need to get back to oil rinsing....

^^I just got back to doing oil/conditioner rinses. My hair is loving it. I would recommend but I used anything sitting around.

I am definitely going to start incorporating after shampoo/pre-DC oil rinsing. I will get a spray bottle and make a mix of oils to spray my hair with. I do oil/conditioner pre-poo's so I don't intend to be too heavy handed with the oil rinse. Headed to my local Indian grocer this week for some henna. I think I will grab a few oils I've had my eye on as well.

Back