Don't sleep on oil-rinses!

Butrsoft

Sareca, many thanks to you for posting this. I tried my first oil rinse in the shower today and forgot a couple of steps (tried to rely on memory instead of rereading your post) and I am STILL impressed with the results. My hair is so moist and soft hours after my wash and not at all greasy and I used a LOT of coconut oil. I can only imagine what my results will be on my next wash when I follow your directions to the letter :yep:. :thankyou:

Stepiphanie

I'm so trying this when I wash my hair this week. I've done a dry DC with AOGPB before and I love it. I'm hoping the pre poo and oil rinsing will be the perfect combo to help keep ssk's at bay.

@divachyk Here's whats new: Deep condition on dry hair w/Aubrey Organics GPB. See Sareca's thread: "Dont sleep on deep conditioning dry hair with heat". Well I dont really do it on dry hair, I do a pre poo w/Chicoro's mix http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=509482, then apply the AOGPB, then plastic cap & towel. Then I co-wash it out-- it feels so great already. Then I do my fav- castor oil rinse. Bestest, and most moistest my hair has evah felt!

.:Eden:.

I tried oil-rinsing today, and I think it could be good thing for my regimen. I used castor oil, but I think it's too thick. I need an oil that has more slip, so I'll try EVOO next time. I'm not sure if it has helped in the moisture department just yet, but my strands do feel "smoother".

nyreeroberts1

Make sure you let me know if it worked for you. :yep:

I am going to try this and post my results! Thanks for the tip.

***I tried the oil rinse today with castor oil and my hair is soft and my new growth is straighter. I will continue to use this method to see if I see a real difference***

Last edited:

Jewell

When I take my cornrows down, I will be resuming my oil rinses to provide more slip and keep moisture sealed in. My fave oils to use in the past have been EVOO alone or mixed with Amla oil (I know, mineral oil but it works well 4 me), Vatika Oil + EVOO, Mahabhringaraj oil + EVOO + Maka Oil (mainly coconut based). Now I wanna take the braids out early just to play in my hair! (But alas, I shall resist--I'm determined to get some good growth frm this install).

greenandchic

I did an oil rinse yesterday after washing and doing a deep conditioner (which is basically a "regular" conditioner with oils mixed in). After rinsing everything out, I ran coconut oil through my hair for the final rinse. My hair was super smooth and easy to work with.

Amoreofcurls

Its summertime so im back on midweek oil rising...

I just did one last night with vegetable oil (yeah I ran out of EVOO:look:) and my hair feels great:grin:

best part of all, I was able to take a 25 min shower, and that included detangling!!

SmilingElephant

I did one two days ago and my hair was sooooo much more easy to detangle. I just have to not freak out about oil running down my face while rinsing bc my skin is already oily and more oil usually causes it to break out.

Yes I found this thread and HAD to try it after suffering from a row of 3 ssks on one strand of hair :crying3: but how often do u do one??

healthyhair2

Tried the oil rinsing last night for the first time. I used a bunch of oils that I am trying to go thru. It felt too greasy for me, so I ended up using my Emu shampoo bar from Backcountrynaturals.com . I did one wash with that and my hair was still soft. I could still feel quite a bit of oil in it even after rinsing, so I just conditioned again and went on about my routine. Befor I start to twist my hair I like for it to airdry some. When I began twisting my hair was a little oily, but still soft. Even though I used My Honey Child honey Haircreme mixed with gel, it is not greasy today. This will be a permanent addition to my reggie. Maybe it will help me get to WSL quicker!!

McQuay30

@divachyk

I use my regular shampoo highly diluted. That's usually enough for my hair to feel clean. I also like VN's idea of using a different oil. I'd try a lighter oil (sesame, sunflower, jojoba) those might get better results for you. Just don't give up on it yet. If you can find the right combination it's magically. :)

Off topic, what is your type??

lushcoils

Olive oil rinse is leaving my hair crunchy. Is it possible that it's not for everyone? Or should I try a different oil?

allmundjoi

Olive oil rinse is leaving my hair crunchy. Is it possible that it's not for everyone? Or should I try a different oil?

Me too. And its not just evoo, but grapeseed and Africas 's Best oil. Also leaves it dry. I am waiting for responses to your question.

Sent from my DROIDX

virtuenow

I don't like olive oil for my hair, it always leaves a general crunch feeling. But castor oil rinse, oh my...I originally thought it would be too thick and greaasy, but found that a little bit goes a LONG wayN and it spreads so nice under water. And africas best feels like a cheap or low grade blend of oils.

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Long Hair Care Forum App

lushcoils

I don't like olive oil for my hair, it always leaves a general crunch feeling. But castor oil rinse, oh my...I originally thought it would be too thick and greaasy, but found that a little bit goes a LONG wayN and it spreads so nice under water. And africas best feels like a cheap or low grade blend of oils.

I have Jamaican black castor oil on hand. I thought it would be too thick, but I'll give it a try. Thanks! I just hope the smell doesn't linger. lol

allmundjoi

Thanks.

Sent from my DROIDX

SmilingElephant

I have Jamaican black castor oil on hand. I thought it would be too thick, but I'll give it a try. Thanks! I just hope the smell doesn't linger. lol

No it doesn't linger. I'm still using up my mix. I had a couple of different oils just sitting around. So I mixed them all up. JBCO, EVOO, and Deshani Scalp Elixir I bought a while ago from Shescentit.

It's REALLY stopping my SSK issue tho:yep:

lushcoils

Woah, I did the olive oil rinse this morning = hair felt crunchy.

Trimmed hair. Shampooed again and did the castor oil rinse an hour ago = hair feels so much softer than with the oo rinse. I hope this is a keeper in regimen. Let's hope my hair dries soft.

nevaeh

This right here is a keeper! I have thick, 4b, 8 weeks post, texlaxed hair that is about 1-1.5 from APL. For some reason my last wash was heck to detangle. I usually don't have problems with detangling my hair after washing, maybe its the length plus the new growth I don't know but what I do know is that I have found my answer.

Last night I dry DC'd with heat (also new to me) rinsed, shampoo'd, rinsed, applied EVOO (need to work on application but good thing I was in the shower), rinsed, ran conditioner through my hair, rinsed, t shirt dried, applied leave in (Kimmytube mixture) and a dime size amount of Argan oil. Baby, when I say the comb went through my hair like butter, it did. I air dried and my hair remained smooth and moisturized and its light not oily.

If I had a curl pattern I would just go, but I don't so up in a bun it went.:lachen: I thank all of you for this tip!

RoseTintedCheeks

So this has a name huh? I use coconut oil and my hair is soooo soft. I started doing this because mixing oil in with my conditioner always left my hair feeling like it was coated. I know many people love mixing oil with their conditioner, but it just wasn't for me.

MeechUK

MeechUK
Have any of you ladies tried using Camellia oil for oil rinses? I recently purchased this oil and it's amazing. It acts like an oil but it does not leave your hair greasy just very moisturised and silky.

Are any of the original ladies still using this method?

RoseTintedCheeks

Have any of you ladies tried using Camellia oil for oil rinses? I recently purchased this oil and it's amazing. It acts like an oil but it does not leave your hair greasy just very moisturised and silky.

If I am not mistaken, Camellia is the oil the Geisha used? I think I have it on my wishlist somewhere.

greenandchic

I recently got some and I love it on my skin! Its a little too $$ for me to use it on my hair, but I have rubbed about a quarter sized amount on freshly washed hair and it felt amazing! I need to source some in bulk...

MeechUK

MeechUK
If I am not mistaken, Camellia is the oil the Geisha used? I think I have it on my wishlist somewhere.

That's right it's a great oil. I heard about it last year and then read about it on the Africurl website. It stops breakage in it's tracks and instils moisturise and strength. Try it you won't regret it. It's a bit pricey but worth the money. You only need a few drops per application because a little goes a long way!

Last edited:

greenandchic

That's right it's a great oil. I heard about it last year and then read about it on the Africurl website. It stops breakage in it's tracks and instils moisturise and strength. Try it you won't regret it. It's a bit pricey but worth the money. You only need a few drops per application because a little goes a long way!

I will have to order some in bulk!