Don't sleep on oil-rinses!

Irresistible

Hey girlie! :wave: You started a thread. The search isn't working for me but I think it has "oil wash" in the title. :yep:
Thanks for sharing the knowledge. :hug2: You're definitely an oil pioneer!
yeah, I called it oil wash, but yes it is an oil rinse too

I shared the method about a year before this thread, its all good that I didnt get the credit LOL

but never the less, it is good to see so many ladies loving it:yep:

Taina

I don't have a problem detangling my hair yet, is not that long. As per now, it just detangles with my conditioner, but i will try this today when i co-wash to know if i notice a change.

=)

bklyncurly

Will definitely try. My hair and I fought like men last night!! The longer it gets, the more tangled mess it becomes. Glad this post made its' way back around because I think I missed it the first time around! :perplexed :ohwell: :yawn:

Jazzmommy

I'm having mega troubles now detangling my hair now it's gotten longer, so I will check this out.. never thought to try it before. Thanks for posting again..

Auburn

I want to try it!

Grapeseed Oil outperforms Olive Oil, Jojoba, Carrot Oil, Coconut and Avocado Oils by delivering:

-50x more protective Anti-Oxidants for less environmental damage and impurities
-Heat Protection up to 450 degrees, where as Olive Oil burns at 250 degrees F
- Lightweight, quick absorbing, with brilliant shine

DigitalRain

This worked great!! I used Surge Lotion Motion #9 Hair and Body oil. I bought this a few months ago at the BSS and never used it till now. It has aloe vera, jojoba oil, vitamin e oil, shea butter, olive oil, tea tree oil, soybean oil, clove oil, and coconut oil. I followed with Ion Reconstructing Treatment. Slathered new growth with Cantu Shea Butter leave in and I twisted my hair. I dont think my newgrowth has ever felt this soft and pliable.

PPGbubbles

Wow didnt know ppl did this on purpose lol. I was taking down my bun last night and my hair was soooo dry, So I drenched my hair in coconut oil. After about an hour I decided I used way too much so I braided my hair in about 20 braids and rinsed with aussie moist. I let the braids air dry and I just pulled them back with a hair zing.

I must say my ends are super soft and one braid came loose overnight and it felt great as I rebraided it... Also, my hair was soo easy to braid I just used my finger to part and finger comb. This may become a staple technique to battle my winter dryness

AnitaTheLengths

Last night I did the oil rinse with coconut oil. My hair detangled so easily under the running water. I worked section by section detangling with my Jibere shower comb until I could run the comb from root to tip without pause. For the record I'm 12 weeks post tex lax and my new growth don't play! Then I conditioned with my 12 en 1, rinsed, got the excess water out of my hair by squeezing it, added my leave in conditioning mixture and put it in a pony to air dry. I must say, although my hair took forever to dry, it was very soft and well moisturized. :cupidarrow:I couldn't keep my fingers out of my new growth! :blush3: I will be adding oil rinses to my regimen when needed.:yep:

Sonye93

*squirms in chair* oooooo I can't wait to try this! I think I'm gonna use MY bew found love EVOO (I dunno why I overlooked it before). I think this will help combat my dryness too!!!! Yipeee (ok maybe I'm a littke TOO excited)

AvaSpeaks

I would like to try this too. Question, how many times do you do this? Like can you do this once a week or do you have to do it every other day or what?

LaidBak

I would like to try this too. Question, how many times do you do this? Like can you do this once a week or do you have to do it every other day or what?

Its just a technique for washing your hair. You can do it however often you wish. It boils down to just an extra step in the process between shampoo and conditioner.

AvaSpeaks

Its just a technique for washing your hair. You can do it however often you wish. It boils down to just an extra step in the process between shampoo and conditioner.

Oh I see, so I do it after shampooing.

If I do it, do I need to deep condition as well? Can I still deep condition?

LaidBak

Oh I see, so I do it after shampooing.

If I do it, do I need to deep condition as well? Can I still deep condition?

You have the option of DCing if you want to. II always do. The oil just helps with the detangling. The first post breaks it down really well.

If you're having problems with tangles try this...
  1. Rinse (or shampoo) your hair
  2. Coat in your favorite oil (I've used olive, jojoba, castor, meadowfoam, dabur alma, and aphogee EFA oil, red palm oil/butter--- my favorite is an amla, castor mix)
  3. Rinse with warm/hot water
  4. Apply conditioner
  5. Rinse with cool/cold water
  6. Apply leave-in
  7. Seal

lwilliams1922

Gosh, I dont know how I missed this thread,
but I think I need this in my life.

It just so happens I have my FIRST try at amla oil brewing. I'll either use that, castor oil or I know there is a bottle under my sink that I didn't like the smell of (so maybe I'll use it up).

I was planning to go and revist henna (adding indigo this time) over the weekend but maybe I can figure a way to do both.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Experiment 1
· Rinsed and massaged head under warm water to clean and get rid of shed hairs. I don't comb or brush my hair, only six inches long.
· Squeezed out most of the water and applied ¼ cup castor oil.
· Rinsed under very warm water.
· Applied the last of my Suave Professionals Humectant Conditioner over it and let it sit during my shower.
· Rinsed under cold water.
· Shake and go!

I skipped using any type of moisturizer afterward because it was still greasy. By bedtime, my strands were slightly oily, but my scalp stayed greasy. Castor oil may be too thick or I used too much. I avoided the next-day crunchiness, so I decided to skip washing until the following morning.

Experiment 2
· Rinsed and massaged under warm water as I poured a mixture of baking soda and water (2 tbs in 16 oz) gradually over my head to clarify.
· Rinsed and applied ¼ cup EVOO (17 oz $6.99 biggs).
· Let it sit for the whole shower, then rinsed.
· Shake and go!

Impressive how well the baking soda cleansed my hair and scalp without making it squeak. I need a better spray bottle for application, though. After drying, my strands were barely greasy, but the scalp still retained enough oil to lube up my hands if I needed to. The following-morning hair became slightly crispy, so I decided to experiment again.

Experiment 3
· Massaged in 2 tsp of EVOO.
· Slopped on 4 fat tbs of Alberto VO5 Moisture Milks Passion Fruit Smoothie Conditioner (15 oz. $0.89 biggs).

Much better! No oiliness and very little morning crisp, but I think it can improve. I had hoped to continue #3 for a while, but due to a little bitty someone, I have to use my more expensive conditioner. Maybe I will skip a day…nah.

Experiment 4
· Massaged in 2 tsp of EVOO, let it sit while brushing my teeth, then rinsed.
· Dumped 2 rounded tbs of Nature’s Gate Chamomile & Lemon Verbena Moisturizing Conditioner for Dry, Damaged Hair (with a ½ tsp of honey).

A touch drier the next day, no likie.

Experiment 5: Used less castor oil (2 tsp) with the Passion Fruit Smoothie, but I put the conditioner on top of the oil.

I liked this! My hair and scalp had barely any oil left on it when it dries and even less in the morning. Silky strands will never happen for me, but it is soft enough to skip a day’s co-wash.

Experiment 6
: Use the Nature’s Gate with castor oil.

My hair likes the cheapie better than the Nature’s Gate when I use oil. I’ll do the castor oil/cheapie combo for a while to see the cumulative effect over a few weeks. Not using a moisturizer afterward would be so worth it.

AvaSpeaks

Yeah I tried the oil rinses as well too. I tried two weeks in a row. I like it but at the same time I don't because what I do is I wash my hair in sections braided up. So what I did was I took down the braid to coat my hair and then braided it back up to rinse.

I might have to just coat the braid and rinse the braid to save time.

Jewell

Thanks, OP for this! I remember doing oil rinses like 5 years ago, and I forgot how beneficial they were for the actual health and shine of my hair. At the time, I gave it up b/c I had bone-straight relaxed hair, so the extra oil made my hair a heavy, greasy mess at times. Since I have all this NG coming in, I've had major issues with tangles and snarls. I'm gonna have to revisit the oil rinsing! I used to apply Nexxus Botanoil (ya'll might remember that), then rinse. I don't remember applying condish, which is prolly why there was so much oil left in my hair!

Gonna try this next wash and see what happens! It can't hurt, b/c my hair and scalp LOVE oil.

ETA: Chyle, I had to come back in this thread and update. I did me an oil rinse tonight and my hair has never been so easy to detangle with 8+ months of NG and 12-14 inches of texlaxed hair! OMG, I can't believe how well this worked. I rinsed with aq (water), sprayed on my mix of oils, let it sit on for a bit, then rinsed out. Applied my Mud condish, let it sit for a few mins. Rinsed. Applied my moisturizing cheapies and then rinsed again after about 5-10 mins. I applied my leave-ins, and my hair has not combed out that easily in MONTHS. I had 40% LESS shed hair during the comb-out, and my hair also felt more moisturized and stronger, yet still soft. This is definitely a keeper. My scalp felt sooo good. I can only imagine how it will feel once I order my peppermint oil for that tingle! :)

Last edited:

*Muffin*

I tried oil rinsing today. My hair came out soft, but on the oily side. Nothing I can't handle, though. I think I did something wrong, though. After first rinsing the hair, am I supposed to blot dry and then apply the oil, or just apply the oil to sopping wet hair :perplexed?

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
I tried oil rinsing today. My hair came out soft, but on the oily side. Nothing I can't handle, though. I think I did something wrong, though. After first rinsing the hair, am I supposed to blot dry and then apply the oil, or just apply the oil to sopping wet hair :perplexed?
Try gently squeezing out some or most of the water, use less oil and/or leaving the conditioner on longer.