Does your mom have a different hair texture (4b vs. 3b)??

envybeauty

On different occassions it occurred to me that a mother with a different texture may not know how to properly care for her daughter's hair.

I have a friend who has like 3a hair. Daughter has 4a/b mix. Niece has 3a hair. The mom did the niece's hair and I was floored because she used to complain that she didn't know how to do her own daughter's hair (she used to pay local kids to do her kid's hair everyday growing up). Mother said it was because the niece's hair was like her hair so it was easy for her.

My mom has a very different texture from her mother and I think that may have contributed to my mom's hairstory over the years.

my mother has thin,fine 4a/b hair and i have thick,coarse 4a hair. she always found my hair a chore to do. her hair is easy to detangle compared to mine and will lay down easier.

My mother said her hair is coarser than mine, and she thinks that my hair sheds a lot but grows back even thicker so she doesn't take the time combing through my hair (if I ask her to braid it for me) but she did know how to take care of my hair growing up.

well my mom's hair is always in a weave, or being relaxed every 4 weeks, so i truly have no idea.

My mom has thin 2c/3a ish hair. I have THICK 3c/4a and my sister has THICK coarse 4b. It was a chore for her but our hair was always done in a nice bun or puff, sometimes hot combed ( she would protect our hair 1st)or she would braid it up and put cute beads. When i first got it relaxed it was healthy & just past mbl. After that point she left it up to me and i let the ball drop :rolleyes:

My mom is more 3c, not much difference in ours only hers is very thin.

If I had kids and they have a different hair type I assume it'll be a big learning curve because I'm only used to my own. I've played in probably every hair type's head and every one of them besides my own was weird because it didn't behave like mine.

ETA I assume I'm 3b.

Last edited:
It is a learning curve, even post LHCF. I have been dealing with my hair for so long (still having ups and downs along the way) so to all of a sudden have to switch to making 3b curls pop, spiral, and loopty-loop on a kid, etc. I would be at a loss I think.

It is a learning curve, even post LHCF. I have been dealing with my hair for so long (still having ups and downs along the way) so to all of a sudden have to switch to making 3b curls pop, spiral, and loopty-loop on a kid, etc. I would be at a loss I think.

I agree with this. I sometimes secretly hope my kids have my hair, not because I'm hoping they have "good hair" or any hateful, ignorant things like that, but because I don't want to be the lady with the kid with straight baby fine hair stuck to the side of it's head or the black Angelina Jolie.

I think my mom has maybe type 2b or or 3a...
I have mostly 4a hair ontop/crown and 3c on the sides and back..

my mom has serious 4z stuff going on. And I'm 3b, 3c, and one itty bitty patch of 4a above my ears. she stopped doing hair by the time i was 8...except for special occcasions when she'd put extensions in, lol

Based on my mom's description of her hair she seems to be a fine 3c. I'm 3b/3c. She had no problem doing my hair.

We both have fine hair but her's is 3a/b and mine is 4a/b...my hair never grew past neck length with her but it always looked neat :ohwell:.

my mom is a curly 3a/3b and don't know what to do with it so it is cut off, i think i'm 3c/4a

Last edited:
My mother had fine 3b hair and me and my sister have hair in the 3c/4a range hair. She always did a great job with our hair.

My mother has very fine 4a/b hair and I have thick 3c/4a hair. However growing up my mother always took much better care of my hair when it was natural as apposed to when I had a relaxer.

My mom's hair was a 3a... mine was a 4a... and no she didn't know what she was doing. Thus the reason she relaxed my hair at the tender young age of 4.

My mom has 3b hair and I have a mixture of 3b/3c. She's never had a problem though, but my hair is really thick and coarse so maybe...

Back