Does wrapping your hair thin it out?

Lady Esquire

Does wrapping your hair every night and combing it down day after day actually cause the hair to thin out?

For me it did. When I was in between chin and shoulder length, I did this faithfully. As soon as I stopped my hair thickened up and breakage stopped. Maybe if you do it occassionally it wont, but every night :nono:.

Some say to alternate the direction of the wrap.

Others say do a cross wrap instead.

blasianbeauty

Thanks for the replies. I got my hair cut the other day into a shoulder length bob, and the beautician told me to wrap it every night to maintain the style. I have to figure something else out now..

hunnybunny81

I'm a wrapper...I find that if I wrap it using my fingers, or a wide tooth comb and don't try to get it super smooth straight with a brush...It helps to keep from thinning out.

blasianbeauty

A few soft silk twisty thingy rollers...and a scarf. That should keep it bumped and with volume.
Thanks, I will have to try this out. :) Also, I don't like how a wrap looks obvious...ya know, even when it's combed out it's still going to one side more than the other. :ohwell:

ayanharr

When I was relaxed my hair thinned a little from wrapping as well. I always wrapped on the same side which is NO BUENO. Anywhoo, I pin curl now when I get my hair straightened. I love PIN CURLS, I just wish it didn't take so long

lexi08

Yes wrapping thinned out my hair over time and my hair would be leaning to the side :nono: Pincurling is much better.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I'm a wrapper...I find that if I wrap it using my fingers, or a wide tooth comb and don't try to get it super smooth straight with a brush...It helps to keep from thinning out.

Yup! That is what I discovered too. Wrap it loose where you could take down with your fingers if you wanted to. This will also help to maintain the bump under on the ends. If you alternate the direction you wrap in every day or every other day you won't get that twisted wig look that sometimes happens with a regular wrap.

I have been doing the cross wrap the past couple days. I like it but it would present a challenge for me if my hair were shorter.

NYAmicas

Seeker
I stopped wrapping because I thought it was too much combing and manipulation of my hair, though Macherie does it wonderfully on hers and teaches others how to properly. I try to pincurl my ends instead of wrapping.

Ericka

I use to wrap faithfully every night a few years back. I couldn't figure out why the crown of my hair was breaking and thinning. I use to change directions but that didn't work on stopping the thinning of the crown. I stopped wrapping and started using a satin bonnet and it did take a while before the thickness filled in.

MissScarlett

I dont know how to wrap:look:

What I do at night is put my hair in a veerryyy high ponytail dead on top of my head....and twist it around in a high bun and sleep like that. It maintains the curls/flat iron or whatever style I have right them

Blessed_Angel

For me it did. When I was in between chin and shoulder length, I did this faithfully. As soon as I stopped my hair thickened up and breakage stopped. Maybe if you do it occassionally it wont, but every night :nono:.

Some say to alternate the direction of the wrap.

Others say do a cross wrap instead.

I wonder if that's why I was having breakage even when my hair was in the best condition and I also had my protein/moisture balance. I will stop right now.

Also, what is a cross wrap? And on what side is the hair thinning if the wrap is going clockwise?

TIA

berry87

I don't know about thinning but It might make it flat. :ohwell:

It's best to alternate sides, and try a different way to pin your hair up once In a while :yep:

Blessed_Angel

I haven't done this in years, but I think I'm gonna put a ponytail at the top of my head, and spray with JC's Holding Spray, then roll the hair with a couple of flexi-rods. I used to do that back in the day with sponge rollers.

TLC1020

Didn't thin my hair out but my hair sure was longer on one side than the other. The left side was always shorter than the right side and I tried alternating sides but it never worked for me. My hair remained thick and full but I had an ace o metric look for a while :ohwell: I never understood why one side of my hair was longer than the other until I stopped wrapping.. Bun most of the time but when I wear my hair down I now cross wrap.. Thanks to members of LHCF I found cross wrapping :grin:

taj

Does wrapping your hair every night and combing it down day after day actually cause the hair to thin out?

Yes, it does over a period of time.:ohwell: You should always alternate sides or use an alternative method for wrapping. It puts too much stress on that 1 side and eventually it begins to thin.:yep: Kinikakes taught me how to use an alternative method for wrapping that allows me to get the same results.:grin: I forgot the name of it, you can view her fotki for further info. Basically you just part your hair straight down the middle (beginning from edges to nape), then criss cross each side that's hanging and pin it up towards the front. I think it's called a cross wrap. Hope this helps!