Does testosterone equal faster hair growth?

naturalmanenyc

I was just looking at DH's hair photos and it really does seem like his hair has grown so much faster since January than mine. He has a couple decorative metal pieces tied to some strands which helps me track his growth.

He does not go to a barber like most men but then it got me thinking, lots of men tend go to the barber EVERY week for a hair cut. My nephews get their hair cut at least every 2 weeks.

Does testosterone equal faster hair growth?

Yes, the Sally's Hair One is STILL there. I do not use it much but I refuse to throw it out.

diadall

It may be me but that does not look like a lot of growth for 8 months. Maybe he should take one with the towel off so I can see where it lines up.:grin:

silenttullip

Not sure but I do know if you have more testosterone it will make you "hairier" like even women who have a high amount of it they're usually hairy.

bumping for answers

Embyra

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2010/08/does-male-hair-grow-faster-than-female.html#comments

in the comment section....Yeah stronger thicker longer hair and a moustache, beard and some chest hair. It may seem like a joke but there is actually a female condition known as Hirsutism . It happens when when male hormones are not balanced as they should (because women do have testosterone just not in the level of men).

In short in order to have plenty of hair on your head as a result of testosterone, you will have to trade that with body hair everywhere (head to toe -literally).

Buttercreme

Not 100% sure, but I'm currently taking medication to block my testosterone. I've been keeping more hair on my head lately.

constance

^^ It causes both - growth and baldness.

It's that thing about every poison being its own cure and vice versa. The thing that causes growth can also stop it.

I just read something along these lines-- In the article "A Practioner's Guide to Hair Loss" John Janowiak writes, "Dermatologists recommend shampooing to reduce surface sebum, which contains high levels of testosterone and dihydrotestosterone (DHT) that may reenter the scalp and stunt hair-follicle growth." This article is far from definitive, but it suggests an area of concern.
John J. Janowiak, Carson Ham. Alternative and Complementary Therapies. August 2004, 10(4): 200-205. doi:10.1089/1076280041580431.