Does oiling your scalp give you the itchies?

levette

It never fails, I can oil my scalp and about 1 day later my scalp is itching so bad I am scratching like crazy.. I have tried a variety of hair oils, pomades, etc. Does anyone else have this problem. Maybe my scalp is just too sensitive.

pookaloo83

Yep. My scalp does not like oil. I put oils and moisturizers on my hair. When I finger comb or whatever, My scalp will get the leftovers or a light coating from manipulating my hair. Oiling my scalp just causes itchies for me and dandruff.

Tiye

In that case don't oil your scalp. There are only a few things my scalp will take - plain coconut oil, plain jojoba oil, and plain castor oil - that's pretty much it. I can also tolerate wild growth oil in small amounts - it's a basic blend of olive, coconut and jojoba oil with a little lecithin. I massage in the left overs from what I put in my hair - but I never apply directly to my scalp.

Nonie

YES!

OP, why do you feel a need to oil your scalp? Listen to what your body is telling you. I haven't oiled my scalp in years and my scalp is not only healthy, it's also not dry.

Your body has its natural moisturizing mechanism and if there's one place it most certainly doesn't need your help is on your scalp. Try baggying your head w/o any products and see for yourself. You'll be surprised at how soft your hair will feel, especially at the roots.

Sometimes we bring problems on ourselves because we try to emulate others insted of listening to what our bodies are telling us.

ETA: The first day or so you go w/o oiling your scalp, you may feel weird about it. But give it time, things will settle and your sebum taps will reopen and take over.

RedVelvet310

I don't like oiling my scalp unless as a pre-wash treatment. I love oils, but not on my scalp. When I use oils I use them as a hair treatment, I'm just not comfortable with all the buildup

yodie

Nonie, can you clarify the baggy method for me please. I wear my hair flat ironed straight. Wouldn't baggying revert my hair?

Nonie

@Nonie, can you clarify the baggy method for me please. I wear my hair flat ironed straight. Wouldn't baggying revert my hair?

yodie, yes baggying would revert your hair. Even if you don't baggy, your scalp will produce moisture for itself. I just suggested baggying because it's a good intro to how well your scalp can keep itself moisturized. For me who doesn't use any moisturizer, baggying is a necessary part of my regimen. But when my hair is straight, it's usually already moisturized from DCing beforehand and that moisture is locked in by a serum. Baggying that would not only start reversion but cause serum to make my scalp itch. I just use a scarf when my hair is straightened. I baggy when in twists or braids.

Lila25

My scalp definitely doesn't like oil, conditioner or anything on it. I avoid getting anything on my scalp.. I did try someone's recipe here on LHCF using oatmeal, and it's a wonderful treatment for your scalp and hair if it's dry, as well as making sure I'm hydrated from the inside out. I have to admit, I don't like water, I have to force it down lol! But it helps.

kupenda

I absolutely can't put anything on my scalp unless I'm gonna wash in 24 hours. I did castor oil massages throughout the summer but at the time I was also baggying and wearing my hair in a braidout. I also wet it everyday so it wasn't a problem. But now that I'm wearing my hair straight, I don't massage with oils. I just use my fingers to move my scalp a lil. Benefits without the "spiders attacking my brain" feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

AyannaDivine

My hair loves pomades and lite oils, but my scalp hates oil! As a matter of fact, I can't apply any product directly to my scalp w/o it itching like crazy. Every once in a while I do enjoy a pre-poo with sweet almond or grape seed oil, I just deal with the itchies cuz my hair comes out super soft and conditioned.

aviddiva77

It depends on the kind of oil. Coconut oil on my scalp is a no no. My mom thought I had lice I was itching so bad!

Found out recently thought that I cannot not oil my scalp cuz it will itch. Surprisingly, heavy oils/light petroleum/mineral oil keep my itches at bay til it's shampoo time!

Umm Ebraheem

I'm one of those women who cannot put anything on the scalp. I've had to get up at 2 in the morning and wash my hair after trying to oil my scalp because it itched so bad I was in tears. I've since realized that I do not need to oil my scalp, it has never taken it well even when I was a child. I keep my scalp extra clean and I don't put any product on it. My hair is happiest with this type of care.

dicapr

I can't oil my scalp either. A few weeks a stylist sprayed my twists and got oil on my scalp. I though I was going to scratch my head until it bled. My scalp produces enough oil on its own. Now by wash day my scalp feels oily.